DRC: Murray takes lead role in spring of change for UNT OL

Brett Vito

9 minutes ago, DT 90 said:

How many Olinemen come out of high schools that don't throw the ball more than 50%?  Also the ball is coming out of the QBs hand in about 1.3-1.5 seconds. We have seen this from the defensive stand point for years.  If the ball is coming out that fast , it doesn't matter it you have Von MIller or  Michael Strahan  on your Dline, you will never get to the QB.

Good point!

17 minutes ago, DT 90 said:

How many Olinemen come out of high schools that don't throw the ball more than 50%?  Also the ball is coming out of the QBs hand in about 1.3-1.5 seconds. We have seen this from the defensive stand point for years.  If the ball is coming out that fast , it doesn't matter it you have Von MIller or  Michael Strahan  on your Dline, you will never get to the QB.

The big adjustment will be the gap line up for the OL. Tackles will need a quick first step! Major adjustment for a big kid.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

I am going to go out on a limb and suggest that @Aldo is not talking about the kids athletic ability more along the lines of his leadership and his character.

I was talking about the o-line as a whole.

The o-line doesn't have a lot of experience. Hoping Barr is as billed, not sure what's going on with Miles.

They've admitted they haven't meshed. Morris was reportedly running around last scrimmage.

On top of all that, they need to learn a new blocking scheme.

QB needs to be able to get into a groove, not worry about fast pressure, and keep that chains moving.

• Upvote 1

On April 15, 2016 at 3:00 PM, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

I am going to go out on a limb and suggest that @Aldo is not talking about the kids athletic ability more along the lines of his leadership and his character.

Based off this article I'm not concerned about his leadership. He publicly owned his responsibility and failures. He also stated he will get better and has the support from a teammate in his position group. Sounds like he is holding himself accountable and will try to set the example.

• Upvote 1

On April 15, 2016 at 0:50 PM, DT 90 said:

it doesn't matter it you have Von MIller or  Michael Strahan  on your Dline, you will never get to the QB.

Yeah...tell that to Meager, Vizza, Dodge, Tune, Thompson....and every other one of our QB's that got the hell beat out of them looking for the open man.

Want to keep a QB healthy?  Run the ball and run it well.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 1:10 PM, Wag Tag said:

The big adjustment will be the gap line up for the OL. Tackles will need a quick first step! Major adjustment for a big kid.

Big gaps make no difference.  it is the same first kick drop step as if it was foot to foot.  All the big gaps mean is that the DE's have further to go. Instead of typically 7 yards across the front from OT to OT it is 10 yards .  

5 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Yeah...tell that to Meager, Vizza, Dodge, Tune, Thompson....and every other one of our QB's that got the hell beat out of them.l looking for the open man.

Want to keep a QB healthy?  Run the ball and run it well.

Rick

They didn't run the Pirate's offence.

1 minute ago, DT 90 said:

Big gaps make no difference.  it is the same first kick drop step as if it was foot to foot.  All the big gaps mean is that the DE's have further to go. Instead of typically 7 yards across the front from OT to OT it is 10 yards .  

Wouldn't bigger gaps in the Oline splits make it easier for DT's to shoot the gap and penetrate thus negating the benefit the extended time it takes for the DE's to get there?

• Upvote 1

This whole year is all about teaching--the OLine has to learn a new offensive scheme and placement. The WRs and RBs have to learn an offensive gameplan that should be much more fun, but is 180 degrees from what they were recruited here to play. And the QBs have to deal with these guys learning on the fly.

Don't judge anything in 2016's upcoming season on the wins and losses. The roster is just not very talented and was built around a gameplan that Knute Rockne would have laughed at as being too basic. Littrell is learning on the fly, as well. As long as he wins with recruits in their fieldhouses and living rooms, then we can know that things have a chance to get better in a few years. That is the real question is if he and his staff can make a dent in recruiting Texas HS talent that is also being recruited by other FBS level schools, having to overcome the stigmas that UNT has within those circles. If he does, and the wins follow, Seth Littrell will have the college football world's attention for sure...and his reward will be justly received.

48 minutes ago, DT 90 said:

Understand. I was thinking more of a heads up line up with possibly LB , Safety stand up outside. In the past u could chip the DE inside hope to get help. Now you are on an island. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

53 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Wouldn't bigger gaps in the Oline splits make it easier for DT's to shoot the gap and penetrate thus negating the benefit the extended time it takes for the DE's to get there?

Draws and Screens if they want to do that. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

bigger pocket, wider throwing lanes. Gives QB a little bit more time.

1 hour ago, DT 90 said:

You were referencing the speed at which the ball was getting out of the QB's hands, not the type of offense and claiming not even Von Miller could get to the QB.

How many Olinemen come out of high schools that don't throw the ball more than 50%?  Also the ball is coming out of the QBs hand in about 1.3-1.5 seconds. We have seen this from the defensive stand point for years.  If the ball is coming out that fast , it doesn't matter it you have Von MIller or  Michael Strahan  on your Dline, you will never get to the QB

This whole thing feels like Dodge 2.0 to me.  We've seen the 3 step drop.  We've seen the quick releases, the quick strikes, the 99 yard touchdowns..etc...and it got our QB's killed.  Now, if it's spreading out the linemen that is suppose to make a difference then we'll have to see?  As long as we run the ball well out of it and find a defense I'm good.  Till then call me a skeptic.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

As long as we run the ball well out of it and find a defense I'm good.  Till then call me a skeptic.

This is what I'm worried about. Will we be hampering our best quality on offense?

Spreading out the line takes out of zone and outside plays, and forces us into gaps, unless we're mixing it up and disguising plays.

If one guy gets beat on the o-line, is Wilson able handle that? On the flip side, as @GMG24 mentions, all you need is one or two good blocks to spring a draw play.

Although maybe we're not running wide splits every single play.

16 hours ago, Aldo said:

This is what I'm worried about. Will we be hampering our best quality on offense?

Spreading out the line takes out of zone and outside plays, and forces us into gaps, unless we're mixing it up and disguising plays.

If one guy gets beat on the o-line, is Wilson able handle that? On the flip side, as @GMG24 mentions, all you need is one or two good blocks to spring a draw play.

Although maybe we're not running wide splits every single play.

Typically once you go wide splits you don't go back except for some specialty packages like goal line/short yardage.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

You were referencing the speed at which the ball was getting out of the QB's hands, not the type of offense and claiming not even Von Miller could get to the QB.

This whole thing feels like Dodge 2.0 to me.  We've seen the 3 step drop.  We've seen the quick releases, the quick strikes, the 99 yard touchdowns..etc...and it got our QB's killed.  Now, if it's spreading out the linemen that is suppose to make a difference then we'll have to see?  As long as we run the ball well out of it and find a defense I'm good.  Till then call me a skeptic.

Rick

Add in the fact that the guys on the team were built to play the polar opposite type of offense that Littrell runs, just like Dodge's was to the Dickster. We saw how well that went. But in Littrell's defense, he has actual college coaches to work with, as opposed to the mostly high school coaches that Dodge brought over in 2007.

Poor Alec Morris will probably get killed, if past experiences teach us anything about this offense in its first year under a new coach.