MGB: Follow-up thoughts on why the NCAA camp ban is bad news for UNT

Brett Vito

I think Brett makes some valid points about UNT and recruiting, but a lot of those issues Brett mentioned were due to Mac and his staff having a poor recruiting strategy.

Littrell is going about things totally different.  He is not relying on camps as much.  This staff is much more aggressive and in tune with the latest trends.  The current staff is going to have to go out and put in the footwork and develop relationships.  Seems like mac just depended on a camp rolling in an area.

And for those that think having Texas ties is not that big a deal, it really has become even more important now.

• Upvote 3

I'm sorry but Vito makes zero sense in this article.  The satellite camp has nothing to do w being recruited. Vito obviously has no clue about the recruiting process. Look, when recruiters come by in the spring, they look for talent. Nobody gives a flying f*ck about a satellite camp. If you can play, you will be found. Satellit camps weren't even around 5 years ago. Quit saying marble falls and copperas cove are in the sticks. Cove is a 6a perennial playoff team and marble falls is a great community. Jesus Christ Vito get out. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

It obviously hurts us to not show up in the Houston area, SA/Austin area, and East & West Texas to make it easier for those kids to come out and meet our coaches & get worked out.  Like other schools, these satellite camps may be the only times these guys get to get out on a field with our coaches and get to know how they work.

Since all schools are also affected in the same way, I think schools like UNT/Houston/UTSA come out slightly ahead in the end since they're in the middle of huge recruiting areas.  

As mentioned elsewhere, teams like So Miss, UTEP & NMSt. are going to REALLY suffer from this due to their location.  And it's going to impact Marshall greatly.

• Upvote 2

As rocket mentioned above, these camps were not even around 5 years ago and schools like So Miss, Marshall, La Tech seemed to do just fine.  These camps were a way to gather a bunch of prospective players together and evaluate them.  It was efficient and a great tool for a lazy recruiter like Mac and many on his staff.  For the P5, like Michigan and Harbaugh, they were nothing more than a way to come in to a rivals backyard and ruffle some feathers.  Recruiters that work hard will be rewarded.  Those that don't, won't.

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

As rocket mentioned above, these camps were not even around 5 years ago and schools like So Miss, Marshall, La Tech seemed to do just fine.  These camps were a way to gather a bunch of prospective players together and evaluate them.  It was efficient and a great tool for a lazy recruiter like Mac and many on his staff.  For the P5, like Michigan and Harbaugh, they were nothing more than a way to come in to a rivals backyard and ruffle some feathers.  Recruiters that work hard will be rewarded.  Those that don't, won't.

I completely agree. This rule change is a non-factor. 

To say these camps have no impact on recruiting is silly.  Of course they do. Teams wouldn't spend money and time doing it, and the NCAA wouldn't ban it if it didnt.  

Once again, its a waste of time comparing other schools outside of Texas to the competiton of recruiting areas like DFW and greater Houston.  Why do fans bring up other schools like marshall and latech?  Ok, we are in the same conference, but that's about it.

Recruiting in texas is a totally different ball game. IT'S NOT A MYTH.  Recruiting DFW and Houston is even harder.  The whole NATION is recruiting those areas hard.  

This ruling will add value back to those combine/camps and events that are hosted by outside parties.  Nike, Under Armor, next level, NCSA, NUC, etc.  Their film just became valuable again, so I know they are happy.  They can go back to selling footage and info to colleges.  

Edited by GOMG2013
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

To say these camps have no impact on recruiting is silly.  Of course they do. Teams wouldn't spend money and time doing it, and the NCAA wouldn't ban it if it didnt.  

Once again, its a waste of time comparing other schools outside of Texas to the competiton of recruiting areas like DFW and greater Houston.  Why do fans bring up other schools like marshall and latech?  Ok, we are in the same conference, but that's about it.  

I didn't see anyone saying they didn't have any impact on recruiting at all. As long as they were allowed, any team would've been foolish to not utilize them and would get left behind. 

I'll just speak for myself here, but I think the thing is the removal of these camps doesn't put any schools at any more of a locational disadvantage than they already had. La Tech and Marshall are brought up because they don't have proximity in their favor like we do. They don't have 150+ D1 recruits every year within 100 miles of their schools, yet they have out recruited us for years. Not just because they were able to benefit from satellite camps. 

23 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

La Tech and Marshall are brought up because they don't have proximity in their favor like we do. They don't have 150+ D1 recruits every year within 100 miles of their schools, yet they have out recruited us for years. Not just because they were able to benefit from satellite camps. 

It depends on how you look at it because there may not be as may athletes in their area, but they aren't fighting 12+ schools either. La Tech can't compete in state with LSU, but they can go blow for blow with anybody else for the ones LSU won't get.  Same in WV and Marshall.  

Being in DFW can be an advantage if you are putting forth the same amount of footwork, money, and time the other programs are.  If not, you are better off being in a state with only a few schools to compete with and having the best shot at the athletes the big school doesn't want.

26 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

It depends on how you look at it because there may not be as may athletes in their area, but they aren't fighting 12+ schools either. La Tech can't compete in state with LSU, but they can go blow for blow with anybody else for the ones LSU won't get.  Same in WV and Marshall.  

Being in DFW can be an advantage if you are putting forth the same amount of footwork, money, and time the other programs are.  If not, you are better off being in a state with only a few schools to compete with and having the best shot at the athletes the big school doesn't want.

Yes, but even then there are just more to go around for us. Like this chart shows, from 2011 to 2015, Texas had 1337 players ranked 3-stars or better. With 12 FBS schools, that's an average of 22.3 3-stars or better players each class per FBS school.

West Virginia produced 10 over those 5 years with 2 FBS programs, for an average of just 1 3-star or better player each class per FBS program. 

22.3 per class to 1. The numbers are overwhelmingly in our favor, even with all the competition. 

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2015/4/15/8143431/states-most-players-recruits

I say anything that cuts down on costs helps lower tier teams.  I also think Mac depended far too much on camps for recruiting.  

NT and Denton should both be good selling points, although many don't agree I don't think there are any better locations to sell in Texas.  Getting players to Denton should only help.   Off-site camps may sell the football staff to some degree, but they don't sell the University.  

I also question that these camps only appeal to those close to the location.