In evaluation, Smatresk gets good marks from Jackson

Skipper

Lee cautions UNT’s ‘greatness’ rhetoric

Lisa Dreher | Staff Writer

@lisa_dreher97

Chancellor Lee Jackson’s executive performance evaluation of UNT president Neal Smatresk’s job performance from February 2014 to 2016 praised his managing efforts behind the budget and faculty hires, but urged him to set clearer, more tangible goals to achieve university goals.

The Board of Regents, during its executive session on Feb. 25, cut the live-stream cameras for an executive session to assess Smatresk’s decisions and plans for UNT. Smatresk’s review was provided by the university through a request for information over spring break.

The regents recently voted to extend the university president’s contract through 2019, and there is a pay raise on the way for him, which combined with this evaluation offers a glimpse into Smatresk’s two years as CEO of UNT.

Jackson said in the “quality/innovation” portion of the evaluation, Smatresk has performed well in hiring faculty and providing better incentives for students to enroll and stay at UNT, like merit scholarships and graduate student packages, the report said.

“Research strategies are being reviewed and focused and key academic leadership positions are being filled,” Jackson said. “The placement of a new permanent Provost has provided [Smatresk] the opportunity to discuss higher expectations for program review and student success with deans and department chairs.”

Jackson said UNT’s Denton campus must focus on producing the most successful students through research opportunities, as reflected in the new undergraduate research fellowship program created this semester.

In Smatresk’s evaluation, Jackson said many universities, including UNT, long to be recognized as a “student-centered” university, and that UNT must now put more energy in providing the best undergraduate experience among the school’s competitors. Smatresk, the report said, has created the framework for improving opportunities for academic success among undergraduates, but Jackson said they must reach concrete resolutions to move forward.

“It is not clear to me that we have yet identified the specific ways in which we will innovate and excel in this area and earn the reputation as having the ‘best undergraduate experience’ of any research university in Texas,” Jackson said. “We need to agree on what will be the best measures of progress in our targeted areas for both academic excellence and the student experience.”

In the “partnerships” area of his evaluation, Jackson’s said there is “opportunity for improvement” in building networks and lasting relationships with businesses and local governments. He did not, however, blame Smatresk for the inevitable slow progress in building these partnerships.

“This indication of an ‘opportunity for improvement’ is more a reflection of the institution’s long history than your accomplishments in two short years,” Jackson said. “You have done a good job of moving quickly in several areas where future partnerships are clearly possible.”

Jackson said a relationship with Texas Woman’s University would potentially form a “nationally-significant collaboration,” given UNT’s proximity to the university and TWU chancellor Carine Feyton’s leadership in the Denton community.

Jackson said Smatresk should create a team that will find new ways to reach out to people, like alumni and donors, who will demonstrate those outside of UNT see the institution’s worth.

UNT was recently reclassified by the Carnegie Classifications of Higher Educations as among the top schools in “highest ranking for research activity,” an upgrade from being among the top in “higher ranking for research activity.”

Jackson suggested Smatresk review the “best examples of communications from respected universities” because of UNT’s new title by Carnegie.

Jackson cautioned Smatresk on UNT’s public relations message, referring to UNT’s billboards and recruiting material often boast the school’s achievements. He said stronger universities use more modest voices in advertisements.

"“Words like superb, leading, etc. imply exceptional performance compared to peers,” Jackson said. “Casual observers may believe that all university messages, and all university presidents, speak in this voice, but that has not been my experience.”"

Smatresk received an “above average performance” ranking for his management style by Jackson, specifically for how he budgeted expenses to minimize excessive spending.

Jackson admired the president’s careful planning of campus space and buildings. He said he appreciates Smatresk working with the UNT System’s Human Resources staff to create a professional environment, but said in 2016 that outdated policies which contradict one another must be updated for “recent events.”

“It is a comprehensive ambition to replace operational complacency with a higher standard of expectation,” Jackson said. “Just as we are doing in academic areas.”

View Full Article

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Army of Dad said:

"Smatresk received an “above average performance” ranking for his management style by Jackson, specifically for how he budgeted expenses to minimize excessive spending."

I feel like the above was just meant for @untjim1995

Nice...

It is refreshing to get confirmation of the rather obvious view of how things are run here. Hopefully, there are others on here who will continue to see the light.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

18 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Nice...

It is refreshing to get confirmation of the rather obvious view of how things are run here. Hopefully, there are others on here who will continue to see the light.

"UNT must now put more energy in providing the best undergraduate experience among the school’s competitors...."

Praise the Lord, I see the light!  And I know how to do it!

"Smatresk received an “above average performance” ranking for his management style by Jackson, specifically for how he budgeted expenses to minimize excessive spending."

Praise the Lord, I do see the light!

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

"UNT must now put more energy in providing the best undergraduate experience among the school’s competitors...."

Praise the Lord, I see the light!  And I know how to do it!

Praise the Lord, I do see the light!

You know what would immediately improve the undergraduate experience? A good athletics program...

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Quoner said:

So he got knocked for Deborah Leliaert's ongoing campaign messaging and rhetoric? Awesome.

I'm not done with this. There were freaking RFPs put out for a campaign around this idea 5 years ago and it has been in use around DFW for years. Is Lee just now noticing this? Is he trying to distance from it? Are we on the verge of another pivot and crapping away more money on pointless agency intervention? Is there a positive angle to this I'm missing?

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Wow.  Don't you think the budget issue that he inherited had something to do with this?

Of course I do. It was awful--under the chancellor's watch, I might add. Really, I have no problem with Smatresk. He is following orders, nicely. He does seem like a very smart and nice man.

But, again, the point of it all is to focus on what matters most--he kept us under budget!! He didn't get us anything in increased revenues, that say, oh I don't know, winning athletics would provide, or at least sending a message that a putrid AD will no longer have a job, would bring, but then again, that 's the BOR's job. And it is rather apparent that they have zero interest in hurting the relationships with the UNT 17, who love their boy RV.

Hence, the UNT 17 Mean Green...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

I basically just wanted to post here because I just stumbled upon this picture of Smatresk with my main man Guy and I wanted this avatar to get out in the public, bad boy style 

Green light to bold flavors? Is Lee Jackson our Doug Carlson? Questions - no info.

• Upvote 7

8 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Oh great. An "above average performance" rating from our incompetent Chancellor. 

The best that I would feel about that rating would be ambivalent.

BTW, who is in charge of giving Jackson an evaluation?

Thought of the day. Could it possibly be Royce West, or maybe whoever it is who is in charge at smu these days?

Edited by foutsrouts
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

The headline tells me all I need to know about how our esteemed Chancellor feels about our university.  Time to show him the door.

Pardon my ignorance but how exactly does that happen?

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

The headline tells me all I need to know about how our esteemed Chancellor feels about our university.  Time to show him the door.

Honestly,   I would take 1-11 football and 12-20 basketball every year if Smatresk continues the academic track we're on.  Reaching the Carnegie Tier 1 research plateau is a bigger win for our University as a whole than any conference championship.  If he can raise the endowment and keep us moving closer to the "Tier 1" designation by the Texas Higher Education Board for those PUF dollars, they'll need to rename the Hurley Building.

Remember folks, there is more to rating the performance of the University president than what's going on in athletics.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Honestly,   I would take 1-11 football and 12-20 basketball every year if Smatresk continues the academic track we're on.  Reaching the Carnegie Tier 1 research plateau is a bigger win for our University as a whole than any conference championship.  If he can raise the endowment and keep us moving closer to the "Tier 1" designation by the Texas Higher Education Board for those PUF dollars, they'll need to rename the Hurley Building.

Remember folks, there is more to rating the performance of the University president than what's going on in athletics.

Heads explode in 3...2...