This

ap_super_bowl_10_mt_160207_1_12x5_1600.j

This is successful football - defense that disrupts an offense, over and over and over again.

Many people (with small brains and penises) say last night's Super Bowl was ugly.  To me, it was a thing of beauty. 

By the way, I'm not a Cam Hater.  I pulled for Auburn versus Oregon in the 2011 national titles games.  I just love defense more than I do offense.  I think Cam will have a long NFL career because he is a guy who can stand in the pocket, not just pull the ball down and run around.  Denver defense was just too much for him.  He'll be back to the Super Bowl, no doubt.   

Happy to see Damarcus Ware and Wade Phillips win as well.  Phillips took too much crap while he was coaching the Dallas Cowboys. 

Edited by HarringtonFishSmeller
  • Upvote 10
  • Downvote 7

5 minutes ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

he is a guy who can stand in the pocket

and stands, and stands...

It was a good game defensively. It was an ugly offensive outing, but had to see it coming. Noddle-armed old QB with great offensive weapons. Great QB with rookie offensive weapons.

Very enjoyable.

That Prius commercial tho...

2 minutes ago, Aldo said:

and stands, and stands...

It was a good game defensively. It was an ugly offensive outing, but had to see it coming. Noddle-armed old QB with great offensive weapons. Great QB with rookie offensive weapons.

Very enjoyable.

That Prius commercial tho...

020716-NFL-Aqib-Talib-LN-PI.vadapt.664.h

That's called defense.  Defensive backs doing their job, defensive line doing their job.  Linebacker plugging holes to stop the run game.  It was an all-around effort by Wade's boys out there.

Also...being a fellow Richardson Berkner grad, happy to see Talib win.  I don't think a Ram has ever been on a Super Bowl winner before.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Well I was talking more about the knock that he holds on to the ball too long, in general.

But to your point, yes the defense took out those rookie WRs and they didn't let them get open.

With Benjamin coming back next year, and another year for Funchess and Corey Brown, they could make a another run with that defense.

They just need a good RB that doesn't get hurt all the time.

It was interesting how this game had some parallels to the Broncos' Super Bowl implosion vs Seattle.

Edited by Aldo

8 minutes ago, LongJim said:

A great defense shut down a great offense.  Interesting.  Who would have thought it possible.  Hmmh...

Great defense vs a good offense. Lets not act like the Panthers had a great offense. 

11 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Well I was talking more about the knock that he holds on to the ball too long, in general.

That's how their offense was designed. 

Look how much time Cam had vs the Cardinals vs the time he had vs the Broncos.

I thought it was one of the best SuperBowls as it was actually a close game. So many have turned into blowouts that are decided by midway through the 3rd quarter or even by the half. This one was an open question till the last few minutes. Great defenses can be exciting and Denver demonstrated just how true this is. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

That's called defense.  Defensive backs doing their job, defensive line doing their job.  Linebacker plugging holes to stop the run game.  It was an all-around effort by Wade's boys out there.

Also...being a fellow Richardson Berkner grad, happy to see Talib win.  I don't think a Ram has ever been on a Super Bowl winner before.

Everson Walls.

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

But to your point, yes the defense took out those rookie WRs and they didn't let them get open.

With Benjamin coming back next year, and another year for Funchess and Corey Brown, they could make a another run with that defense.

They just need a good RB that doesn't get hurt all the time.

It was interesting how this game had some parallels to the Broncos' Super Bowl implosion vs Seattle.

I hear you.  But, isn't that what has separated Cam from other "athletic" quarterbacks like Vince Young, RGIII, and Johnny Maziel?  He will stay in the pocket and give his receivers the chance to get open before he pulls  the ball down and...gets injured because he pulls the ball down too much/runs, and give defenses more shots at his knees, etc. 

Young and Griffin ruined their knees early that way, thinking they could outrun NFL DEs and LBs.  Sorry, fellas...there are no University of Kansas' on your schedule in the NFL.  No early  out of conference cupcakes to feast on and pump up your stats...and, egos.  Everyone is big, fast, and strong in the NFL.  NFL comes down to execution and who can stay healthy/get healthy at the right time of the season (i.e., playoffs).

Also, the Panthers were 17-1.  It's not like they snuck in there like the 2007 Giants, then used a miracle catch to get over.  So, Cam was doing many, many things right QB-wise all season.  Denver just brought their A+ game.  Probably the game of a lifetime for most of those guys.

Cam's a better, smarter QB than guys like Young, RGIII, and Manziel - in my estimation.  I think it's what has made Russell Wilson in Seattle a success as well.  He does go ahead and play QB instead of "running QB."  

As far as implosions go, it's defenses that will implode offenses in most cases.  I think all the way back to the first real Super Bowl blowout, the Raiders 38, Redskins 9 (?) in 83/84 (?).  Washington was supposed to have unstoppable receivers and runners.  Oakland (Los Angeles?) shut them down.  My memory is bad on dates and where the Raiders were located at that point, but their defense, I recall smothered Washington from the get go. 

Seattle did the same to Denver.  Although, unlike the Redskins 83/84 implosion versus the Raiders, Denver was missing some of the stars on defense that game.  Not saying they'd have beaten Seattle.  But, the score likely wouldn't have gotten out of hand as much as it did.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Mean_Green09 said:

Great defense vs a good offense. Lets not act like the Panthers had a great offense. 

Let's not act like the Panthers didn't score more than every team in the league.  They got their asses kicked last night.  Plain and simple.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, LongJim said:

Let's not act like the Panthers didn't score more than every team in the league.  They got their asses kicked last night.  Plain and simple.

Exactly.  Wasn't it #1 Offensive in NFL versus #1 Defense?  I think it was.  I think the key was probably that Denver's defense had more veteran players than Carolina's offense.  Not that Carolina didn't take it seriously, but I bet Denver too it more seriously.

Plus, the Denver defense knew all season long how beat up/finished Peyton Manning was.  So, they probably prepared as if they game was going to depend on them.  I know it sounds silly to says this now, but...in the back on my mind, I wondered whether Denver would stick Osweiler in there for the fourth quarter.  Manning couldn't get anything going, not a thing.  And, some of his passes looked downright awful. 

2 hours ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

ap_super_bowl_10_mt_160207_1_12x5_1600.j

This is successful football - defense that disrupts an offense, over and over and over again.

Many people (with small brains and penises) say last night's Super Bowl was ugly.  To me, it was a thing of beauty. 

By the way, I'm not a Cam Hater.  I pulled for Auburn versus Oregon in the 2011 national titles games.  I just love defense more than I do offense.  I think Cam will have a long NFL career because he is a guy who can stand in the pocket, not just pull the ball down and run around.  Denver defense was just too much for him.  He'll be back to the Super Bowl, no doubt.   

Happy to see Damarcus Ware and Wade Phillips win as well.  Phillips took too much crap while he was coaching the Dallas Cowboys. 

Carolina made no offense.. had no quick game, and Cam made SEVERAL wrong reads on those plays where you say the LB's stepped up and filled the holes so great.  Those are designed that way so the LB fills the gap and the QB's can pull and continue running.  I understand Carolina is more of a long based passing game, but having some quick routes and crossing or switches would have really helped Cam stay out of pressure situations as often.  IMO it was boring.  Sure watching a dominant defense was fun, but a lot of their dominance was Cam having to hold the ball for 3 + seconds waiting for guys to try and get open.... Too long vs those D-ends.  

43 minutes ago, LongJim said:

True. In the long run, this is going to be good for Cam. He is a great talent but needs a dose of humility...and he just got a big one. The Panthers should be hell-on-wheels next season. As for "ugly", it was not. Two heavyweights punching away until the bell rings. That Bronco play calling in the red zone had me screaming at the TV; it sure looked like something right out of Denton. Watched the game wearing my "Booger" jersey and kept hydrated with lots of Shiner...what's not to like?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Mean_Green09 said:

That's how their offense was designed. 

Look how much time Cam had vs the Cardinals vs the time he had vs the Broncos.

Yes. That o-line got manhandled, and the inexperience and lack of a #1 guy at WR really did them in. Those young WRs weren't getting open in time, or at all.

Add on that Stewart's injury bug, and no RB stepping up. 

Most comfortable 6 point lead I'd ever seen.

32 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

That Bronco play calling in the red zone had me screaming at the TV

Have you ever watched a Peyton Manning super bowl...? I'd be nervous calling plays for him too.

Cam still has a number of flaws in his game, and Carolina had one of the easiest schedules this season. 14 games against NFC East, AFC South, NFC South.Cam still has a tendency to airmail his receivers. He's gotten better this year, but 40% of his TDs came in 3 games. Completed less than 60% of his passes in 10 games this year. Yeah, he's far and away a better QB than the other similar QBs mentioned, but a portion of that is that he's much bigger and stronger than guys like Manziel and RGIII. Still, he's not been a pre-snap read, drop back, read again, step up, throw QB. The Denver defense ate his lunch because Carolina has no quick, short passing game. It's run, Cam run, big passing play.

This year Peyton might have been the worst QB to ever start, and definitely WIN a Super Bowl. So bad that they were in a complete offensive shell the entire game. I'm glad they won, and he deserved to have a defense carry him, after carrying some abysmal defenses with him throughout the years. But Jeebus he needs to retire.

I say this as a guy that loves what the Panthers do (particularly the defense, run game, and toughness), and would've rooted for them against any other AFC opponent.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Carolina made no offense.. had no quick game, and Cam made SEVERAL wrong reads on those plays where you say the LB's stepped up and filled the holes so great.  Those are designed that way so the LB fills the gap and the QB's can pull and continue running.  I understand Carolina is more of a long based passing game, but having some quick routes and crossing or switches would have really helped Cam stay out of pressure situations as often.  IMO it was boring.  Sure watching a dominant defense was fun, but a lot of their dominance was Cam having to hold the ball for 3 + seconds waiting for guys to try and get open.... Too long vs those D-ends.  

Again, the guy was 17-1 on the season going into the game. 

The Denver DBs did their job.  DL and LBs as well.  It was probably about as textbook a defense as you'll see. 

Cam and those inexperienced WRs and inexperienced OL did a lot of damage to a lot of other teams with experienced players and coaches all year long.  Denver's D just took it to them. 

If they played again today or tomorrow, the results might be different.  But, yesterday, the show was Denver's D.

Credit due to Wade Phillips and his charges.  They put on a hell of a show.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

Exactly.  Wasn't it #1 Offensive in NFL versus #1 Defense?  I think it was.  I think the key was probably that Denver's defense had more veteran players than Carolina's offense.  Not that Carolina didn't take it seriously, but I bet Denver too it more seriously.

Plus, the Denver defense knew all season long how beat up/finished Peyton Manning was.  So, they probably prepared as if they game was going to depend on them.  I know it sounds silly to says this now, but...in the back on my mind, I wondered whether Denver would stick Osweiler in there for the fourth quarter.  Manning couldn't get anything going, not a thing.  And, some of his passes looked downright awful. 

Don't discount Carolina, the  Panthers D was a top 5 unit as well. No doubt Broncos D came to play and rattled Cam early.  Cam's 2 fumbles cost them 15 points. Denver would've won with Osweiler in there with the way their D attacked Newton and the offense. 

21 hours ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

I don't think I would claim ownership of this tool.  He could have easily cost the Broncos the game.  Should have been shown the bench.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

True, but he has always been a player on the edge of disaster.

Agree.  That's one guy where you kind of take the good with the bad.  Whether it was coaches or teammates getting to him, he seemed to settle down and just play as the game progressed.

I do agree that he's one you have to keep your eye on if you are the coaching staff. 

NS_19BERKNERFOOTBALL_3148869.JPGCZhcKAiVAAEClIr.jpg

Anyway, GO Rams!

He was a two-star recruit back in the day...so maybe there is hope for most of the players on our roster...if former Sooner Littrell pushes them as hard as former Sooner OC Mark Mangino pushed Talib's Kansas Jayhawks a decade ago:

A4S_aqibhighschool0_169347a_8col.jpg

Anyway, GO Rams!