DRC: Signing day coverage

Brett Vito

I think my hopes and dreams for a fun season will revolve on how (or if) Alec Morris can wrestle the starting job. From Bama film, he shows that he can move the offense in the short to intermediate range.

Question is, can he be successful going deep? And can he grow a bigger beard?

I haven't given up on DSmith, and he's a different style of player that would be really fun in this system, but he needs to really work his tail off this offseason if he wants to be given a shot.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Aldo said:

I think my hopes and dreams for a fun season will revolve on how (or if) Alec Morris can wrestle the starting job. From Bama film, he shows that he can move the offense in the short to intermediate range.

Question is, can he be successful going deep? And can he grow a bigger beard?

I haven't given up on DSmith, and he's a different style of player that would be really fun in this system, but he needs to really work his tail off this offseason if he wants to be given a shot.

As I've observed more than once this season, going deep not only involves the strength of your arm, but having a WR who can/will go up and fight for the ball......Josh Doctson style. I didn't see that at all for NT last year.

8 minutes ago, Aldo said:

I haven't given up on DSmith, and he's a different style of player that would be really fun in this system

D. Smith is basically a less refined Marquise Williams with perhaps a stronger arm.  He is a HUGE wildcard in all of this.  They were very productive on offense with Williams.  He will have a full spring to learn the system unlike last year.  Graham Harrell can work with him on his touch passes and teach him the system.  The other question I have is what about Conner Means?  Guy has some ability maybe this staff can put the wires together.  Should make for a fun spring.

2 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

As I've observed more than once this season, going deep not only involves the strength of your arm, but having a WR who can/will go up and fight for the ball......Josh Doctson style. I didn't see that at all for NT last year.

I've seen Tee Goree do it.  He could be that guy...

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

I didn't see that at all for NT last year.

CRdfsR7VEAE1GeJ.jpg

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

D. Smith is basically a less refined Marquise Williams with perhaps a stronger arm.  He is a HUGE wildcard in all of this.  They were very productive on offense with Williams.  He will have a full spring to learn the system unlike last year.  Graham Harrell can work with him on his touch passes and teach him the system.  The other question I have is what about Conner Means?  Guy has some ability maybe this staff can put the wires together.  Should make for a fun spring.

Yes, for Smith, the question will be can he improve his touch and accuracy in the short range. Can't rely on Wilson every time to give us a 3rd and short.

As far as Means goes, I need to see improvements in his accuracy. He's a good runner. If he can improve and start as a redshirt Jr next year, that would 1) give Mason more time to develop, and 2) alleviate pressure to find another transfer for the next two years.

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

how many times did the QB give them a chance too?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

All of the talk we are hearing from Littrell and Harrell recently leads me to believe we are going to run an offense that is MUCH closer to the Leach Air Raid(pass, pass, pass some more) than it is to Fedora's version of the spread(balanced attack). We need Wilson, Ivery, Smith, etc work on their receiving this spring/summer if they want to see the field. We are going to try to run as many plays as we can, as fast as we can. 

16 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

All of the talk we are hearing from Littrell and Harrell recently leads me to believe we are going to run an offense that is MUCH closer to the Leach Air Raid(pass, pass, pass some more) than it is to Fedora's version of the spread(balanced attack). We need Wilson, Ivery, Smith, etc work on their receiving this spring/summer if they want to see the field. We are going to try to run as many plays as we can, as fast as we can. 

It'll be interesting to see. I hope they utilize Wilson and his downhill running abilities, maybe from the pistol? He's too good of a runner to not use him. Ivery is much better in space and could work from the slot a lot. I mean look at Kingsbury. He had Washington rush for 1100 yards last season and they threw the ball 60 times a game. So I think Littrell and Co. will utilize the running game more than a typical Leach air raid

5 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

It'll be interesting to see. I hope they utilize Wilson and his downhill running abilities, maybe from the pistol? He's too good of a runner to not use him. Ivery is much better in space and could work from the slot a lot. I mean look at Kingsbury. He had Washington rush for 1100 yards last season and they threw the ball 60 times a game. So I think Littrell and Co. will utilize the running game more than a typical Leach air raid

UNT ran an average of 70 plays per game last season(34 Pass and 36 Run). The teams that run the most plays in the nation are around 85-90 per game. That's 15-20 more plays per game for us next season if Littrell really wants to play super-fast. Leach ran 20-25 times agame while Kingsbury ran around 35 times a game. So we could conceivably run the ball 25-30 times a game and still throw ALOT more due to the speed and tempo of our offense creating more opportunities.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

UNT ran an average of 70 plays per game last season(34 Pass and 36 Run). The teams that run the most plays in the nation are around 85-90 per game. That's 15-20 more plays per game for us next season if Littrell really wants to play super-fast. Leach ran 20-25 times agame while Kingsbury ran around 35 times a game. So we could conceivably run the ball 25-30 times a game and still throw ALOT more due to the speed and tempo of our offense creating more opportunities.

As long as we can stay on the field longer than 3 downs. I forgot what that's like

13 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

As long as we can stay on the field longer than 3 downs. I forgot what that's like

To refresh your memory, its called "moving the chains". This is how Mac did it...

200.gif

THIS is how Littrell will do it...

200.gif

• Upvote 6