The University of Texas at Houston?

Harry

University of Texas System Chancellor Bill McRaven defended his plan for a campus in Houston on Thursday but conceded he was “guilty as charged” for not consulting with outsiders before lining up 332 acres.

McRaven, speaking before the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, said he should have discussed the plan with the chairman of the agency and its commissioner. He said he didn’t want to unveil the plan widely for fear that it would cause the price of the property to skyrocket.

The parcel is expected to cost about $200 million and will be funded with debt backed by the multibillion-dollar Permanent University Fund. The UT System closed last week on the purchase of 100 acres.

Some legislators, regulators and others have raised questions about the plan, none more forcefully than the University of Houston System’s Board of Regents, which said it would inevitably harm three state universities within a 6-mile radius of the location — the University of Houston, the University of Houston-Downtown and Texas Southern University — and the many minority students they serve.

Read more:. http://www.statesman.com/news/news/state-regional-govt-politics/uts-bill-mcraven-to-sketch-out-vision-that-include/np8tX/

7 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Ahhh yes, the PUF money...better known as the head start given to UT and aTm by the state of Texas that leads them to erroneously think they built their advantage on their own merits

The state of Texas thought they scored big on that one, prime Austin real estate for some useless West Texas land. I'm still hoping they find oil on campus somewhere so we can build that baseball stadium. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Tyler Maryak said:

UT Corsicana, UT Krum, UT Wal-Mart, UT Valero...Why don't we just skip some steps and hold a vote to change from "State of Texas" to "University of Texas." 

Texas University is trying to spread across the state and take hold and choke the resources out. They're pretty much the Galactic Empire.

OK, sorry, I've been playing too much Star Wars Battlefront. 

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, Rudy said:

Texas University is trying to spread across the state and take hold and choke the resources out. They're pretty much the Galactic Empire.

OK, sorry, I've been playing too much Star Wars Battlefront. 

Come on man! Don't drop to the level of the envious Aggies and change their name. 

On another note, I don't think this impacts UNT in any way.

I do have a question though, years ago when I was in school I heard talk at the athletic department about changing our school name from UNT to Texas State. I gave it no thought and a few years later heard Southwest Texas became Texas State. What occurred to to change their name?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

The state of Texas thought they scored big on that one, prime Austin real estate for some useless West Texas land. I'm still hoping they find oil on campus somewhere so we can build that baseball stadium. 

And you can bet your bottom $ that no one in Denton will complain about drilling in the city limits.

20 minutes ago, buff64 said:

And you can bet your bottom $ that no one in Denton will complain about drilling in the city limits.

If someone struck oil on campus, who cares what the people of Denton complain about. That would need to be immediately tapped into and money funneled into every facet of the university. Of course, starting at athletics. Like I said in another thread, our university is looked down upon because we are gawd awful in athletics. Want to change the perception of our university, win games. It's Shallow Hal at its finest, but it's the reality that we live in. 

UCF was absolutely horrible this past season. Maybe even worse than we were. BUT, people still remember them getting to the NYE 6 game and beating Baylor. That game for them created credibility not only for them, but for also the AAC. It bought them time to figure out what's going on with them right now. We don't have that time. Houston, same thing. They have bought themselves time in the event that they fall into the suck. I don't know if enrollment numbers/applicant information is out for Houston over the course of the past year and going into this year, but look it up. I am sure there will be evidence pointing to an increase in enrollment and attendance at UCF after their game vs Baylor. Boise might be harder to analyze because of their seclusion, but I am sure their numbers will point to the same while they have risen to the top of the G5. Economies are boosted during this as well. Maybe not in a place like Houston or Orlando, but in a place like Boise or Denton it pays off. Business owners in Auburn, Tuscaloosa, Starkville, Oxford, College Station, as well as places like Ruston, Lafayette, etc. would agree. When teams are good there is a 3-4 month period of athletic generated revenue brought to the town/community. The town of Denton and more importantly the business owners in Denton need to understand that. I think one of our very own does understand that...JW. 

• Downvote 1

16 hours ago, laxtonto said:

Truth be told, I have more faith in UT-Houston becoming an academic power, like UTD, than I do of seeing UH follow through

Do you think UTD is more of an academic power than UH?  Wonder why they're behind UH in pretty much every Tier 1 funding standard then.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, NTXCoog said:

Do you think UTD is more of an academic power than UH?  Wonder why they're behind UH in pretty much every Tier 1 funding standard then.

UT-Dallas was established as a science power house in the 60's.  UH is lights years behind.  Tier 1 doesn't mean anything to scientists.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Makes me. doubt if UT bought 200 acres in Houston they have any plan to add U of H to the bIg 12.

I don't think it matters.  UT is going to make their Houston campus a medicine oriented school.  I doubt there will be any athletics there. Think of it as a UT-Dallas but with a medical twist.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NTXCoog said:

My brother specifically went to UTD for their technology and science programs. It's what UTD is known for. I like Houston but they couldn't hold UTD's jock in this department. Neither can UNT.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Don't the UT satellite schools claim the horns as their own?  If so I would think UT would like to expand their brand to any Houston development they build as well.

@Harry, no, the UT satellite schools do not claim the horns as their own.  In fact, UT Austin would never allow a system school advertise any longhorn pride.  Both Texas and A&M have their systems to keep other schools down and out.  Only California has the wisdom of having a real "system", probably the best in the world.

• Upvote 2