MGB Friday football notes

Brett Vito

9 hours ago, greenit said:

That would be funny if we actually had a beat reporter.

So because you don't like him, he isn't a beat reporter?

Lol. 

I feel sorry for the Vito, having to cover a crappy program that stubbornly refuses to do what needs to be done for future success. 

We are only fans. That's his JOB. We choose our misery, Vito is assigned misery.

Keep popping the Prozac, Vito. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

44 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

I was accepted into A&M, but I remember thinking to myself "do I want to look up and see this redneck degree on my wall?"

Answer was no.

Yep, I applied and was accepted to 6 or 7 Texas universities coming out of the military 4 years ago. I chose UNT because it wasn't isolated, had brand recognition and I thoroughly enjoyed my campus tour while on visitation. 

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, adman said:

I don't think BV did himself any favors with the coaching staff by writing what he did. 

I don't think the AD did itself any favors with Vito by giving Sidway the coaching hire scoop.

Relationships are a 2 way street.

13 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

You learn something new every day. I never realize Brett was being forced to continue to work at the DRC and cover the North Texas football programs 

Pretty sure Vito is married with kids. 

Also pretty sure he would take a better job if offered. Covering UNT kinda limits your visibility as a sports reporter...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

21 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

He doesn't publish these comments from recruits all the time. Actually this is the first time that I can remember actually reading about a potential recruit's thoughts about our University. I'd like to hear more, when a recruit says "no thanks". 

Personally I think we need to be reminded of the situation from time to time, We spend too much time blaming someone else for our unattractiveness  as a program. 

I agree. I prefer someone telling me the truth, good or bad, in any situation. 

Personally,  I'd like to hear more honesty from recruits and coaches. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not going to read all four pages but want to respond about the attitudes regarding our "culture" and whether we're a good school.  Look, if you're a stuck-up prick from the local region, it's trendy to talk smack about UNT.  If you're from anywhere else, unless you're ultra-rich and also an extremely good student, when you consider colleges, depending upon your intended major or other areas of interest, there's a good chance that North Texas will come up in your search.  I was on the other side of the country and discovered UNT's Art school, which is one of the best.  While working on my undergrad, I added a Poli Sci major and then did that for grad school, which was at the time 2nd in the WORLD, which is why students from some of the best schools on the planet went to Denton to study and turned down Ivy League and other "elite" schools.

The "perception" of our "culture" is still something that would be nice to overcome, but if the only people with that attitude are spoiled kids in DFW who won't be paying for their aTm degree anyway when Mommy and Daddy cover their costs, and never learn to work for anything, even a SCHOLARSHIP?  Yeah, I can live with that.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, JesseMartin said:

I'm not going to read all four pages but want to respond about the attitudes regarding our "culture" and whether we're a good school.  Look, if you're a stuck-up prick from the local region, it's trendy to talk smack about UNT.  If you're from anywhere else, unless you're ultra-rich and also an extremely good student, when you consider colleges, depending upon your intended major or other areas of interest, there's a good chance that North Texas will come up in your search.  I was on the other side of the country and discovered UNT's Art school, which is one of the best.  While working on my undergrad, I added a Poli Sci major and then did that for grad school, which was at the time 2nd in the WORLD, which is why students from some of the best schools on the planet went to Denton to study and turned down Ivy League and other "elite" schools.

The "perception" of our "culture" is still something that would be nice to overcome, but if the only people with that attitude are spoiled kids in DFW who won't be paying for their aTm degree anyway when Mommy and Daddy cover their costs, and never learn to work for anything, even a SCHOLARSHIP?  Yeah, I can live with that.

I get what you're saying. The perception is directly related to our putrid athletic department. Rick Villareal is single handily taking value away from our degrees because of his poor performance at his job. This is a fact. If Rick had been doing a good job or at minimum an average job then it wouldn't be trendy to disrespect UNT, its academia, or its athletics programs. Thanks, RV. I may say this with sarcasm, but it is all true. All the negativity that Rick V has surrounded our university he is STILL employed and apparently STILL heading decisions. It's stunning. It's official, Neal Smastrek doesn't have those those cords of bones located in the back. And, yes, I took over another thread with RV because when discussions come up the vast majority of our downfalls correlate directly back to him.  Until he is gone, this is the way it should be and hopefully will be. Fire this man, UNT. 

• Downvote 1

15 hours ago, UNT90 said:

If you think Vito likes covering a loser, you are high. The constant ass whip of watching a losing program wears on him as much as it does most on here. Imagine if you HAD to go watch the disaster that is Benford basketball for almost every home game. 

That alone is enough to make any sane man just a little bitter. 

Then imagine having a front row seat to the ineptitude of this AD, and having that AD hate you for you having a seat at the s%#+ show. 

I don't always agree with Vito, but losing to an FCS by 59 points, only scheduling 5 home games 2 of the last 4 years, crappy OOC opponents, an abortion of a basketball hire that is still hanging around, an AD that constantly lies to UNT's most ardent fans yet keeps his job is a MUCH more important problem than a kid not wanting to go to UNT.

Not to mention the reasons he doesn't want to go here.

Get over it.

Glad I didn't drag you in to this so you could take your jabs at RV, but thanks for reminding us all of the dead horse you drag around.

• Upvote 4

Unless your job is athletic related, the quality of an athletic program does not increase or decrease the value of your degree.  I have served on many search committees and interviewed prospects from all over the country.  Applicants came from P5 and G5 schools.  The success of their athletic programs never came up.  I would worry about working for someone who made any kind of employment decisions based on the athleti success of the employee's school.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Graddean said:

Unless your job is athletic related, the quality of an athletic program does not increase or decrease the value of your degree.  I have served on many search committees and interviewed prospects from all over the country.  Applicants came from P5 and G5 schools.  The success of their athletic programs never came up.  I would worry about working for someone who made any kind of employment decisions based on the athleti success of the employee's school.

This is preposterous. I guess it only matters if elitists from Brown, Yale, Harvard, Princeton, MIT etc. come knocking on the door for employment? But only THEN it matters? It's not the deciding factor nor should it be, but in a competitive market while in a competitive region it damn well better matter. Because if you aren't taking it into consideration then you are doing your company and your current employees a disservice. 

11 minutes ago, Graddean said:

I agree.  For instance, NYU is considered up with some of the ivy league schools in academics and I don't think they even field a football team.

15 minutes ago, Graddean said:

Right?

2 hours ago, Harry said:

I agree.  For instance, NYU is considered up with some of the ivy league schools in academics and I don't think they even field a football team.

You're right, they don't.  They're also one of the schools of choice for celebrities and their children, especially those without the academic clout to get into Ivy Leagues.  And their enrollment is insanely high (57,000).  It's basically a high-priced metropolitan alternative to the Ivies.  Some people even pick it OVER Ivy Leagues due to things like program offerings and location.  

10 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

I was accepted into A&M, but I remember thinking to myself "do I want to look up and see this redneck degree on my wall?"

Answer was no.

Me too, sort of.  I wanted to to accept but declined because just about everyone I knew, including all the hot chicks were headed north to Denton.  A stupid reason to choose a school of course, but the truth just the same.  My accounting prof at Tarleton came from NT and spoke very highly of our Business program as well.  So that helped in my decision.

Rick

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, HoustonEagle said:

Not being a tier 1 school and a rather pathetic endowment does not help perception either.

The crappy endowment is actually the biggest factor preventing us from being Tier 1.  Every few years they throw together admin, faculty, staff, etc. and work on an updated plan to grow into Tier 1 status.  The answer is pretty simple: grow connected and happy alumni from their first day as students.  We treat students like they are fast food workers or something and then wonder why they don't all stay connected and give money later.  The actual earnings aren't so bad from most of the graduates, but that perception exists because everyone sees them NOT giving money, leading to our low endowment levels, and makes everyone assume that they just don't have money.  That isn't the case...most people get disenfranchised enough that they consider it a bad investment to send their money back to a school that made them feel like they were second-class citizens.

15 hours ago, JesseMartin said:

The crappy endowment is actually the biggest factor preventing us from being Tier 1.  Every few years they throw together admin, faculty, staff, etc. and work on an updated plan to grow into Tier 1 status.  The answer is pretty simple: grow connected and happy alumni from their first day as students.  We treat students like they are fast food workers or something and then wonder why they don't all stay connected and give money later.  The actual earnings aren't so bad from most of the graduates, but that perception exists because everyone sees them NOT giving money, leading to our low endowment levels, and makes everyone assume that they just don't have money.  That isn't the case...most people get disenfranchised enough that they consider it a bad investment to send their money back to a school that made them feel like they were second-class citizens.

I don't totally disagree with this statement about the general student population, but I do agree with this as an excellent analogy for just about all the athletes that "down the corridor of years" have come and gone at North Texas. I've told the story more than once about having a conversation in the stands over at Fouts with a former player who was totally shocked that I not only remembered him (he played from 84-87), but I remembered his number and that I accurately observed that he had shed a few pounds since playing at NT. His lack of expectation that he would ever be remembered by a fan, even though he had been an all-conference player, was a bit sad. He couldn't have been the only example.

As to the endowment. Here's a bit of historical perspective for you. I don't know when the endowment fund was actually set up, but it had to be after Dr. Matthews retired in 1968.. Dr. Matthews discouraged and/or forbid giving money back to the University.....and that was especially true of the athletic department. The Mean Green Club was created by Hayden Fry after he became HC/AD in 1973.

So, giving back to the University has only been a very recent Chronological/Cultural occurrence here at North Texas. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

bit of historical perspective for you. I don't know when the endowment fund was actually set up, but it had to be after Dr. Matthews retired in 1968.. Dr. Matthews discouraged and/or forbid giving money back to the University.....and that was especially true of the athletic department. The Mean Green Club was created by Hayden Fry after he became HC/AD in 1973.

So, giving back to the University has only been a very recent Chronological/Cultural occurrence here at North Texas. 

I knew about Matthews.  Even if it was around before then, they probably just had it sitting there quietly with no new donations being developed until after he was gone.  We do have a lot of weird history we've had to overcome.