Texas College (11/16/15)

CMJ

It's a job saving schedule, for sure.

But Samford, Troy, and the third one I forget are a major step up from a couple of teams not even UNT fans have heard of. They should be able to exploit our lack of size inside and we will get a look at how Brice plays against D1 big men.

Troy and Samford should not be able to exploit our interior. Those teams dont have great guys down low. It should be a step up in competition, but dont expect an exploitation. 

But Samford, Troy, and the third one I forget are a major step up from a couple of teams not even UNT fans have heard of. They should be able to exploit our lack of size inside and we will get a look at how Brice plays against D1 big men.

We will sweep our invitational. If you haven't seen this team play you should go watch them vs Idaho on Monday. We finally have jump shooters and 2 big guys in the freshman that wears glasses and Brice. We also actually feed the post. We had countless entry passes which is s great sign. Also, the ATM transfer (Reese?) is the real deal. Harris looks to be coming into form as an actual team player. We also have good role players. We look like a D1 squad. 

*Still trying to learn names. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We will sweep our invitational. If you haven't seen this team play you should go watch them vs Idaho on Monday. We finally have jump shooters and 2 big guys in the freshman that wears glasses and Brice. We also actually feed the post. We had countless entry passes which is s great sign. Also, the ATM transfer (Reese?) is the real deal. Harris looks to be coming into form as an actual team player. We also have good role players. We look like a D1 squad. 

Frosh with the glasses is Khalil Fuller.

Frosh with the glasses is Khalil Fuller.

He's pretty good. Frame and playing style is similar to Colin Voss, but I believe he has a higher ceiling. Fuller is only a freshman and looks like he will be able to have the same kind of productivity as Voss had as a senior. I believe he's 6'7" 280 and can move a little bit. 

• Upvote 2

You have no way of knowing if anyone was good or not. We played a couple of high school teams. Remember when we blew out Nicholls St. in football? Same thing.

There are some decent signs, but it doesn't mean squat in a glorified scrimmage. Brice's numbers in these scrimmages tend to show he has a long way to go to be competitive against d1 competition.

But WE DON'T KNOW.

Ill come up for SIU, and may make UTA, but probably nothing else. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

You have no way of knowing if anyone was good or not. We played a couple of high school teams. Remember when we blew out Nicholls St. in football? Same thing.

There are some decent signs, but it doesn't mean squat in a glorified scrimmage. Brice's numbers in these scrimmages tend to show he has a long way to go to be competitive against d1 competition.

But WE DON'T KNOW.

You are right. However, we look like a real D1 squad. That is all I am saying. We look like we have competitors out on the court. We have decent size, speed, and Reese and a very good  ball handler. We will beat all of the teams that we are "suppose" to beat. And I think we will be competitive vs most, if not all. I know it's hard to tell sometimes when playing teams like this, but it's hard to explain until you see them in person. They actually look good and it's obvious to tell that they have good chemistry. 

• Upvote 2

In my opinion, this team should be good. They have several highly-rated recruits, more than I can remember in a while. The talent and size are there in a way they haven't been in a long time. That is why folks are getting excited and rightly so. Could it all go south? Sure. This is still a Benford led team. All I'm saying is maybe talent, size, and a head coach with at least some experience now can come together finally to produce a surprising season. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 3

If Benford's job gets saved, it means he's getting extended after this season...think about that for a second.

dafuq is Texas College?  Glancing through this, it looks like NAIA?  For purposes of RPI don't those games not count?  Like at all?  Win or lose, aren't they completely discarded from the record?

I suppose I'm all for playing someone easy at the beginning of the season, but shouldn't we be playing somebody that is someone in the ~350 team D1 spectrum?

dafuq is Texas College?  Glancing through this, it looks like NAIA?  For purposes of RPI don't those games not count?  Like at all?  Win or lose, aren't they completely discarded from the record?

I suppose I'm all for playing someone easy at the beginning of the season, but shouldn't we be playing somebody that is someone in the ~350 team D1 spectrum?

From an RPI perspective, it is often worse to play a lowly ranked D1 school (even if you win) than playing a team that does not even count in the RPI calculation. 

Edit: Not that RPI considerations would be the only reason we would schedule these teams. 

Edited by greenit
  • Upvote 2

But WE DON'T KNOW.

How about giving the team a chance and supporting your alma mater.  If they tank, then stop going, but not attending out of spite towards the AD or Bball Coach is, well, spiteful,

• Upvote 6

Here's the gym where Texas College plays...per pedler from the M&G.

u3c76qqfijuma0zh26ms4yw9y1ze6t.jpg

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

How about giving the team a chance and supporting your alma mater.  If they tank, then stop going, but not attending out of spite towards the AD or Bball Coach is, well, spiteful,

I live 3 counties away. I couldn't tell you more than a handful of players names anymore. 

Its not spite, it's a simple lack of interest. 

And that is the AD's and bball coach's fault.

How often are you driving in from Midland for games? Are you spiteful?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Can we not just enjoy the wins?  Why must those against Benford spoil it for the rest of us.

I get that there are many good fans disenchanted about the program right now.  That's your right.

I think it crosses the line when you try to discount other fans who actually see some promise in this team. 

It's pretty clear Benford needs to win this season.  Why can't we just let it play out without the constant negative propaganda?

Can we not just enjoy the wins?  Why must those against Benford spoil it for the rest of us.

I get that there are many good fans disenchanted about the program right now.  That's your right.

I think it crosses the line when you try to discount other fans who actually see some promise in this team. 

It's pretty clear Benford needs to win this season.  Why can't we just let it play out without the constant negative propaganda?

plus_one_36312_1_1_3570.gif

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Eh, it cuts both ways. I know I said something about in the thread for the ladies big win over Oklahoma.