Question For @FlyOnTheWall Regarding Scheduling

greenit

@flyonthewall regarding future scheduling, has there been any discussion of eliminating paycheck games?  There could be a lot of goodwill created if we take a stand and announce that we will be eliminating future games that do not involve a return home game for UNT.  It seems to be that announcing the elimination of the paycheck game by the Athletic Department would rank right up there with allowing tailgating as a positive change that will affect the program.

If not, what is the argument to keep them?

There seem to be quite a few people that see the continuation of the paycheck game as being a large roadblock to building support (better chance of wins, improved home schedule, increased season ticket sales, MGC membership, public perception, etc...). 

Any thoughts?

• Upvote 5

@flyonthewall regarding future scheduling, has there been any discussion of eliminating paycheck games?  There could be a lot of goodwill created if we take a stand and announce that we will be eliminating future games that do not involve a return home game for UNT.  It seems to be that announcing the elimination of the paycheck game by the Athletic Department would rank right up there with allowing tailgating as a positive change that will affect the program.

If not, what is the argument to keep them?

There seem to be quite a few people that see the continuation of the paycheck game as being a large roadblock to building support (better chance of wins, improved home schedule, increased season ticket sales, MGC membership, public perception, etc...). 

Any thoughts?

Bodybag or paycheck games fund programs that don't have support from the town in which they are located, the bulk of alumni, and the student body. Denton and UNT fall squarely in this category. To schedule home and home you have to give the visitor a guarantee. When even a Portland State gets $600 K to play here it's obvious that proceeds from any game other than a lower tier mid major or FCS are all that is possible. The sheer size of Apogee and the stubborn refusal to play in a bigger metroplex venue make scheduling any remotely respectable P 5 impossible. It will only get worse as the P5 s start to understand that scheduling cupcakes will cost them any chance at the made for tv mythical four team " National Championship". To keep harping on scheduling a home and home against anyone other than a G5 is fruitless. Plus paying big guarantees will cost our non revenue sports dearly, as football Bodybag guarantees are the only reason that they can exist!!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I could accept one body bag game a year if the home OOC schedule wasn't so unappealing. There shouldn't be any five home game seasons or schedules that bring in teams like Bethune Cookman when our in-conference state rivals are getting Arizona State and Colorado State.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Rick Villarreal said in a podcast with Harry this year that as long as he was AD, there would be whorin' going on.

Well, you got it  part right.  These games will continue.  The convenient part you left out...a common occurrence in your "everything is bad mantra", is that he has stated publicly that he would prefer not to schedule these games.  And will not, as soon as funds are available from ticket sales, donations, Mean Green Club memberships, etc. to not have to schedule such games.

But, of course, leaving that part out makes it so much easier for you to justify your "UNT sucks all the time in everything" mantra.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 20

Well, you got it  part right.  These games will continue.  The convenient part you left out...a common occurrence in your "everything is bad mantra", is that he has stated publicly that he would prefer not to schedule these games.  And will not, as soon as funds are available from ticket sales, donations, Mean Green Club memberships, etc. to not have to schedule such games.

But, of course, leaving that part out makes it so much easier for you to justify your "UNT sucks all the time in everything" mantra.

So because he hasn't DONE HIS JOB, he gets to schedule these games?

Got it.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

It seems to me that it would be a lot easier to sell season tickets and MGC memberships with a schedule that replaces the paycheck and FCS games with a couple of reasonable H/H series with other FBS teams that hold some interest for UNT fans. 

I get that it takes money.  I don't know that an AD is the answer for this situation.  It really should come from the top.  The University administration has to fund this type of thing or else the boosters have to fund it.  It sounds like the administration and major donors have recognized that the funding levels have to go up if any real change is going to occur.  If we simply replace the coach without making changes like this, I feel we are just kicking the can down the road.  Same goes for the AD. 

Without significant culture changes, treating the symptoms won't have a significant impact.  Just like allowing tailgating, this will be another necessary step in the journey to change the culture around the program.  This allows us to publicly proclaim anyone, anywhere, anytime.  We will play anyone as long as they are also willing to play us at our place.  Period.

• Upvote 6

Until funds are in place?? Look at our fundraiser of an AD. I don't know the exact numbers, but I know they aren't good. So ib other words these games will be present  until we get competence at AD. 

But, KRAM, UNT currently is sucking all the time in everything (that means something). I know you're not stupid. What's your deal? Are you in denial? Ignorant? Or is your current status with the current regime too good to be critical of anything or anyone. Nothing is good right now. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Unfortunately, we're gonna have to play out the remaining home FCS schedule.  I forget who all that is, Incarnate Word, Lamar, and one other?  Hopefully, we'll get a wee bit more attractive when that's finished.  

I posted some (very possibly erroneous) math a couple days ago that have me a bit perplexed as to why we continue to schedule payday games with the giants of college football.  Relative to the greatly increased overall budget, the checks we get from those games are getting smaller and smaller, while continuing to demoralize our program.  

• Upvote 2

"Shill typically refers to someone who purposely gives onlookers the impression that they are an enthusiastic independent customer of a seller (or marketer of ideas) for whom they are secretly working. The person or group who hires the shill is using crowd psychology to encourage other onlookers or audience members to purchase the goods or services (or accept the ideas being marketed). Shills are often employed by professional marketing campaigns. "Plant" and "stooge" more commonly refer to any person who is secretly in league with another person or organization while pretending to be neutral or actually a part of the organization he is planted in, such as a magician's audience, a political party, or an intelligence organization (see double agent). Shill can also be used pejoratively to describe a critic who appears either all-too-eager to heap glowing praise upon mediocre offerings, or who acts as an apologist for glaring flaws."

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Oh I would love it trust me.  But Tennessee in Apogee would be a stretch.  TN at Jerryworld would be a different animal.  They are all excited about heading to Aggieland next year.  I told them to book their rooms now.  LSU still more hardcore but Knoxville was an awesome college town and great game day environment. Makes me wish I had experienced Alabama one of those years.

GMG

• Upvote 1

Ha!  You banner boys are delusional.  All I did was add the part that UNT90 left out.  And, all the banner boys go off as if I had just burst their little world all to pieces.  You banner boys sure have painted yourselves into a nice corner where you like to see half-truths as the gospel.  I don't care if you want to waste your money on silly banners...it's your money after all.  Just get the stories correct.  What gets old KingDL1 is you protecting your pals and hammering those you see as opposed to the hater party line.  There is an ignore button now, right?  Feel free to use it.  The Infidel seems to have removed himself from that other board to join in the fun with you banner boys.  So, hey, the gangs all here now.  If you don't like hall monitors as you call it KingDL1, make sure your pals tell the full story...not just half-truths to fit their agendas.  I don't understand why opposing views bother some so much, but it is interesting. Even our very own west Texas Barney Fife wants to be one of the popular kids so bad yet Andy just won't let him take that one bullet out of his pocket, right Brian?  Keep trying, the banner boys might let you be one of their own one of these days yet.  Hey...to quote UNT90.... "Get over it...it's just a message board after all".  Funny how us using that line chaps some folks so much.  You banner boys like to dish it out, but you sure have thin skins when you think something gets tossed back at you or when something hits a tad close to home.  That KingDL1 is really what gets old....the thin skin of the banner boys.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 18

You banner boys like to dish it out, but you sure have thin skins when you think something gets tossed back at you or when something hits a tad close to home.

You go on and on like a bitter ex-girlfriend, but I don't remember us dating.

It must've been when I was drinking too much at the Flying Tomato. Were you that girl who, looking back, had a suspicious amount of stubble?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

RV bears responsibility for the level of ticket sales, donations and Mean Green Club memberships. Your comment isn't a defense of RV, it's an indictment.

Wasn't meant to be a defense of anyone...just completing what was said, so folks would get the full story.  Half-truths to fuel agendas really do no person any good.  If the full truth gets folks excited to the extent my clearing it up obviously has, some folks might want to just stop reading GMG.Com.  How anyone interprets the comments is up to them and open for discussion.  Just get the full story so you don't look so ignorant in that discussion.  

So because he hasn't DONE HIS JOB, he gets to schedule these games?

Got it.

Nope...you missed it...again.  Or should I say...still.  Not discussing "his job".  Just cleaning up the half-truth you posted.  Wanted folks to discuss what was actually said and not just the part you felt fit with your agenda. Folks are free to discuss the full story from any position they want.  But, don't worry, the banner boys will come to your aid and all will be wrong at UNT once more.  You will feel just keen in your negativity.  Got it!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 11