Question For @FlyOnTheWall Regarding Scheduling

greenit

You go on and on like a bitter ex-girlfriend, but I don't remember us dating.

It must've been when I was drinking too much at the Flying Tomato. Were you that girl who, looking back, had a suspicious amount of stubble?

Hit too close to home I see.

Doubt I was that girl as you were always known at the Tomato as cheap and usually left the tab for someone else after faking drunkedness as I recall.  But, I don't remember us dating either. Heck, I thought I shaved closer than that.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

Kram, have a snickers. You turn into a bitter ex when you're hungry.

Second time you used this line in the last few minutes in separate threads. You are in a rut here.  It's just that rcade always stiffed everyone with the check while faking being drunk.  Everyone knew he went into the men's room and poured his beer down the toilet.  And, I promise, I shaved very close.  He even stiffed me for the pizza.  And, now he says he doesn't even remember.  That hurts.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

The reality of today's mid-major athletics is that we need the paycheck game. However, RV needs to do this right by maximizing the payout and eliminating those damn FCS games.  Half of the UT payout is going to the FCS school that kicked NT's ass earlier this year.

• Upvote 1

Ha!  You banner boys are delusional.  All I did was add the part that UNT90 left out.  And, all the banner boys go off as if I had just burst their little world all to pieces.  You banner boys sure have painted yourselves into a nice corner where you like to see half-truths as the gospel.  I don't care if you want to waste your money on silly banners...it's your money after all.  Just get the stories correct.  What gets old KingDL1 is you protecting your pals and hammering those you see as opposed to the hater party line.  There is an ignore button now, right?  Feel free to use it.  The Infidel seems to have removed himself from that other board to join in the fun with you banner boys.  So, hey, the gangs all here now.  If you don't like hall monitors as you call it KingDL1, make sure your pals tell the full story...not just half-truths to fit their agendas.  I don't understand why opposing views bother some so much, but it is interesting. Even our very own west Texas Barney Fife wants to be one of the popular kids so bad yet Andy just won't let him take that one bullet out of his pocket, right Brian?  Keep trying, the banner boys might let you be one of their own one of these days yet.  Hey...to quote UNT90.... "Get over it...it's just a message board after all".  Funny how us using that line chaps some folks so much.  You banner boys like to dish it out, but you sure have thin skins when you think something gets tossed back at you or when something hits a tad close to home.  That KingDL1 is really what gets old....the thin skin of the banner boys.

Huh? Half truths? We sucking at everything is the full truth. Watching our boys get skull drove into the ground is the common theme almost every single year. The only kind of consistency this program has had in the modern era said AD ran the coach creating that consistency out of town. There are no half truths. The only truth that matters is productivity and we. are. garbage. Yet, here is KRAM yet again defending the circus in the AD. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Well, you got it  part right.  These games will continue.  The convenient part you left out...a common occurrence in your "everything is bad mantra", is that he has stated publicly that he would prefer not to schedule these games.  And will not, as soon as funds are available from ticket sales, donations, Mean Green Club memberships, etc. to not have to schedule such games.

But, of course, leaving that part out makes it so much easier for you to justify your "UNT sucks all the time in everything" mantra.

Ha!  What YOU are saying is "As long as UNT sucks, we will have the games" then...very ironically, you state that others are asshats for saying UNT sucks.  Man, that's good stuff.  Keep it up YKRAM, I enjoy this stuff.

• Upvote 1

Not really a rut as much as I'm just bored. I don't spend all day with my RV pom poms.

I am sure you don't.  It takes too much time out of your day polishing that one bullet they let you keep in your shirt pocket.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

The reality of today's mid-major athletics is that we need the paycheck game. However, RV needs to do this right by maximizing the payout and eliminating those damn FCS games.  Half of the UT payout is going to the FCS school that kicked NT's ass earlier this year.

I am not so sure if it is truly a reality for us.  We have 35k+ students.  We are one of the 25 largest universities in the US.  We have resources.  We are not broke.

The original point of this thread was asking the question if the elimination of the paycheck game has been seriously discussed by the powers that be..  While we are looking at increasing the funding of the program, eliminating the paycheck game seemingly is one area that can have the greatest positive impact on the program.

Edited by greenit

And personally, I don't mind having a good program every year to play.  I have no issue with one.  For instance, Memphis played Ole Miss.  I would prefer it be a school in Texas or nearby so our fans can make the trip.  There are plenty to fit the bill.  My issue is with two.  I also agree that it would be nice to get a bigger team to come to Apogee.  It's pretty much been Houston and that is it.  I hear that it is due to the size being an issue, but yet, SMU is able to get the A&M and Baylors to come to Ford.  Why not us?

And personally, I don't mind having a good program every year to play.  I have no issue with one.  For instance, Memphis played Ole Miss.  I would prefer it be a school in Texas or nearby so our fans can make the trip.  There are plenty to fit the bill.  My issue is with two.  I also agree that it would be nice to get a bigger team to come to Apogee.  It's pretty much been Houston and that is it.  I hear that it is due to the size being an issue, but yet, SMU is able to get the A&M and Baylors to come to Ford.  Why not us?

I personally have an issue with one EVERY year. How about 2 out of every 3 years. We have to establish a tradition of winning and putting our boys on the road to get slaughtered EVERY year is just not good for building that tradition. People want to associate with a winner so let's put the pieces in place. Your Memphis example is a bad one. Memphis hosted Ole Miss. I like the one FCS a year and playing a road P5 every other year. I just want to win and I think that scenario is best case so fans get what they want as well as the athletic department. 

*We should never again play 2 P5 in the same season. That's program suicide for given year. 

Why not us?

Because we have an AD that either doesn't know how to get it done or would rather make his job easier by whoring the team out for money that he isn't able to generate through other methods.

His statement to you that he would always rather play these teams on the road for the money was yet another headshaking yet insightful moment into the dysfunction inside this AD.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Let's do what some others mentioned and play non-megachurch-style P5s.  Vandy, Oregon State, Kansas, teams like that.  Name recognition without being in the running for national titles or top bowls or conference championships every year.

Half of you guys are starting to sound crazy.  It's a bad sign when I sound like the normal one.

• Upvote 5

This thread is another reminder of why we will always be small time...how people that have built up wealth thru good careers put up with this embarrassment of an athletic department and its revenue sports is damn near unbelievable. As a matter of fact, if it hadn't been for the last 15 years, I wouldn't believe anyone that was a MG fan if they told me even half of the BS that they get fed and readily accept.

It is what it is, though. The UNT 17 and the BOR have the power and they have their buddy/puppet in RV. To give one more dime to this athletic department is a waste...sorry to hurt feelings here, but you can give to the general scholarship fund of the school or the individual college within the university. At this point, just help the academics here to get better so as to help your degree's value continue to get stronger. It's obvious that anything directed toward our current athletic situation is just blowing money away. 

• Upvote 6

This thread is another reminder of why we will always be small time...how people that have built up wealth thru good careers put up with this embarrassment of an athletic department and its revenue sports is damn near unbelievable. As a matter of fact, if it hadn't been for the last 15 years, I wouldn't believe anyone that was a MG fan if they told me even half of the BS that they get fed and readily accept.

It is what it is, though. The UNT 17 and the BOR have the power and they have their buddy/puppet in RV. To give one more dime to this athletic department is a waste...sorry to hurt feelings here, but you can give to the general scholarship fund of the school or the individual college within the university. At this point, just help the academics here to get better so as to help your degree's value continue to get stronger. It's obvious that anything directed toward our current athletic situation is just blowing money away. 

Bingo. But we ddon't matter. That's RV's business logic and an absolute horrible strategy. I've seriously considered putting up the rest for the billboard, but at this point for what? They don't care so why should I. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This thread seems to be degenerating into another RV bashing thread. That was not my intent.

I really was hoping to find out from Fly if there have been any real discussions internally about trying to eliminate the paycheck game. 

Essentially, is anyone pursuing a goal of eliminating these games?  It is understood that it will take additional funds to do so. 

Hopefully, once he has a chance to look into it he will share some info. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This thread seems to be degenerating into another RV bashing thread. That was not my intent.

I really was hoping to find out from Fly if there have been any real discussions internally about trying to eliminate the paycheck game. 

Essentially, is anyone pursuing a goal of eliminating these games?  It is understood that it will take additional funds to do so. 

Hopefully, once he has a chance to look into it he will share some info. 

What you are asking is RV in a nutshell and though I have no knowledge of it I wouldn't bet on it. History tells us what it tells us and it usually holds to some form of pattern. 

Demanding results from the university leadership is not far fetched. Covering for ineptitude is lame. In the business world, it's called a return on investment. Far less established programs are able to pull far better competition to their stadiums. It is absolutely ridiculous for the non-17 to get blasted for demanding results. Sure, we may not be in the suites sipping cognac prior to kick off and there very well could be a high degree of heat going towards the leadership of which we are not aware. I understand that the skull and bones crowd wants to operate in a secretive manner. Wheels may be turning in the program's favor. However, keep in mind that we perceive otherwise. Remember, perception may not be reality, but it is very, very real.

• Upvote 1

wtf?  Who is they?

Does it matter?  I think what's important is that, really, if you are spending your day polishing your bullet, that it have nothing to do with your shirt pocket.  And if it does...sweet Jesus, change your shirt.  Or at least wash your hands.

• Upvote 2

When one guarantee game equals the whole income from your home schedule, you play these games.  Plus, to balance the schedule you have to hire a team almost always a fc division to come to Apogee.  

There are also other reasons to schedule these games than financial.  The players want to test themselves against the best.  It is also the quickest way to get noticed.  How many threads have referred to some underdog beating a big boy, not going to happen unless they play.  

I have questioned RV's leadership much longer than most, but there is a limit to what a g5 program can accomplish in scheduling.  Look at the schedules of our peers and see where they go to play, many have more than 1 guarantee game a year.  Yes, NT had two this year, but that hasn't happened in a while and I don't see any years in the future with two scheduled.  

Yeah, but you wanna BEAT the big boys, not get your ass kicked by them.  A good example is Boise State (and to a degree, Louisville and TCU as well).  Beat mid-majors and low-end P5s, grow enough to dominate your conference for a while, beat some big teams (or even other on-the-rise G5 teams) in bowls...THEN start scheduling them when you know that an upset is more of an even bet than it is a wing and a prayer.  Hoping that we'll grow based on an upset in a weird year without anything else in line is a symptom of our feelings about this program - we can't expect things to be done properly, so instead we just pray for a freaking miracle and hope we'll randomly go 12-0 while knocking off Alabama and Texas on the way to our National Championship run.

Boise didn't get to where they are/were by scheduling top 5 teams every year. Or by scheduling 2 in a single year. They scheduled winnable games at first, won them, built up the program to a point where they then could play those bigger opponents and win. 

Edit: looks like Jesse and I were on the same wave length!

Edited by H-towngreen