MGB: Monday night coach search update

Brett Vito

Just from reading the article, it really looked the risk to reward wasn't in our favor.

You could definitely argue we have a higher ceiling than them, but right now they're already at the point where we would hope to be in 3 or 4 years. By that point he'd be close to 60, and his attraction to P5 schools would be much less than it is now for that reason.

• Upvote 2

From his POV, it has to look like a lateral move. It doesn't make much sense, especially if GSU can extend him & up his pay. He'll be on the P5 radar soon enough if he keeps up his winning ways. At that point, it's break the bank time.

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 3

Two thoughts immediately come to mind.

1.  Vito (or this "industry insider") brings up some really good points.

2.  Vito (or this "industry Insider") is making an educated guess and really doesn't know.  Fritz could be looking to get back to Texas for any number of reasons.  For example, our school President is here because of family and Karen Aston came here at least partially for family.  He also could see that there's potential to do much more at North Texas.  We really don't know.  

I wouldn't place any bets on him being the next coach (unless I got really good odds) but ... you never know. 

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 2

This is more or less what I said was the negatives for Fritz to come here.  There are significant positives as well:

1. Pay:  I don't think GaSo can reach $1.5M/Yr.
  2. Texas Recruiting: He already has a lot of connections with Texas HS coaches.
  3. State Retirement:  Between HS, Blinn and SHSU he has 12 years in TRS.  It's a great retirement system and we've landed more than one coach because of it.

I still think the negatives are substantial, and we'll have to pay a ton to overcome them, but it isn't a for sure no yet.  

• Upvote 2

There it is.  Vito has spoken.  Fritz probably won't come to UNT.

Because Vito has reliably proven to be the end-all authority on things, right? /s

I agree that Fritz will not likely be here, but Vito is rapidly losing his edge (if he had any) and is getting scooped daily - and not just by Twitter dart-board informers and bloggers, but by other legit journalists. I think this is a good thing for Vito; he finally has an incentive to step up his own game.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

This is more or less what I said was the negatives for Fritz to come here.  There are significant positives as well:

3. State Retirement:  Between HS, Blinn and SHSU he has 12 years in TRS.  It's a great retirement system and we've landed more than one coach because of it.

I still think the negatives are substantial, and we'll have to pay a ton to overcome them, but it isn't a for sure no yet.  

TRS? really?  For someone making 1.5mil?  I would think that no state income tax would be a bigger incentive.  Besides, with 12 years in he's already vested.

TRS? really?  For someone making 1.5mil?  I would think that no state income tax would be a bigger incentive.  Besides, with 12 years in he's already vested.

Yes. Really.  There aren't a lot of true lifelong pensions elsewhere.  I know for sure it has been a factor in hiring more than one coach.  He may be vested by the higher pay in now will bump up the pay out.

TRS is one of the reason's Rick won't resign

Never occurred to me. Yeah, his retirement check would be the average of his highest 5 years of pay. Which is going on now. That's interesting. I don't think of State employees as having a contractual end to their employment, like Coaches and AD's. Yeah, during my employment with the state I had monthly reviews and yearly evaluations. I wonder who signs off on RV's monthly review and yearly evaluation? 

Plus, it seems rather strange to think of someone in the TRS system that has an agent.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

uh I don't think we can pay 1.5 million either!

• Upvote 2

Cant say missing out on Fritz would bother me? Good coaching history, but not exactly the barn-burner needed to energize the North Texas Fan Base right now? We need to be excited! We need to be re-involved! We need RV to take a huge dose of speed and just go hire Coach Briles or Coach Cumbie!  Now, if RV should take Mydol by mistake?..June Jones coaches Football and runs the beer concession through 2020. 

GMG!!!