Frank Beamer retiring at Virginia Tech

BillySee58

Look for Georgia to open up eventually as well. 

Word around UGA is that Richt is touting his 5-star QB recruit Eason as the starter for 2016 and beyond. Giving him some job security to let him be the guy at QB, since they've recruited pretty well elsewhere. I don't think it'll actually take them where they want, but it should save his job for now.

Word around UGA is that Richt is touting his 5-star QB recruit Eason as the starter for 2016 and beyond. Giving him some job security to let him be the guy at QB, since they've recruited pretty well elsewhere. I don't think it'll actually take them where they want, but it should save his job for now.

I've heard the same. They are looking at 7-5 this year (pending bowl matchup 7-6). They'll have an unproven true freshman at QB. Not to say that true freshmen can't have success, but at QB it's kind of unlikely. I think if he does go 7-5, he's done this year. Too many have wanted him gone for too long. 

Another guy making the VT job rounds is James Madison HC Everitt Withers:  http://www.gobblercountry.com/2015/10/22/9586878/everett-withers-frank-beamer-virginia-tech-hokies-replacement.

His resume is pretty impressive although I would think VT may opt for a bigger name hire.

Edited by Harry

Maybe but he'd get some stiff competition from Big Game Bob.

Big_Game_Bob.png

He actually won a National Championship and made two other championship games during the BCS era. Richt made zero, as UGA was the only powerhouse program from a top 7 recruiting state (Texas, USC, Florida, Miami, FSU, Georgia, Ohio State, LSU, Auburn, Alabama) to not win one championship and have at least two appearances in the title game. And I don't think he will make an appearance in the CFB Playoff.

• Upvote 1

Look for Georgia to open up eventually as well. 

This is not the first time Georgia fans have wanted Richt gone but they are  demanding that Schottenheimer (OC) is fired immediately.  Richt could live to see another day by firing Schottenheimer.  The problem is that Richt just signed an extension and Schotty has 2 years left on his contract. I don't know how much they would owe Richt but I know they owe Schottenheimer $1.9 million if they fire him. So UGA may be stuck with this situation another year while it becomes financially easier to fire them.

This is not the first time Georgia fans have wanted Richt gone but they are  demanding that Schottenheimer (OC) is fired immediately.  Richt could live to see another day by firing Schottenheimer.  The problem is that Richt just signed an extension and Schotty has 2 years left on his contract. I don't know how much they would owe Richt but I know they owe Schottenheimer $1.9 million if they fire him. So UGA may be stuck with this situation another year while it becomes financially easier to fire them.

That's funny. If uga wants them all gone they'll snap their fingers. They are not North Texas. 

• Upvote 1

He actually won a National Championship and made two other championship games during the BCS era. Richt made zero, as UGA was the only powerhouse program from a top 7 recruiting state (Texas, USC, Florida, Miami, FSU, Georgia, Ohio State, LSU, Auburn, Alabama) to not win one championship and have at least two appearances in the title game. And I don't think he will make an appearance in the CFB Playoff.

Georgia has never made a BCS title game appearance or any other title appearance for that matter under Richt. And they have only won 1 title and I believe that was 1980. 

So what is a better job top coordinator at one of the historical top programs or head coach here at UNT?

That's an ego driven question. Depends on the person's ego and probably money differential. 

Georgia has never made a BCS title game appearance or any other title appearance for that matter under Richt. And they have only won 1 title and I believe that was 1980. 

That's an ego driven question. Depends on the person's ego and probably money differential. 

Yes Richt, has never coached in a BCS title game but what other coach has to play 2 out of the above listed team in Billy post ever year then has had to turn around and play another 2 from your list in the conference title game.  Richt team averages playing in the SEC title game one out of every three years since he has been HC.  Name me another coach that has had to play the BSC champ 6 out of the last 8 BCS years and one of the other 2 years the BSC runner-up.

Yes Richt, has never coached in a BCS title game but what other coach has to play 2 out of the above listed team in Billy post ever year then has had to turn around and play another 2 from your list in the conference title game.  Richt team averages playing in the SEC title game one out of every three years since he has been HC.  Name me another coach that has had to play the BSC champ 6 out of the last 8 BCS years and one of the other 2 years the BSC runner-up.

Reword that to make sense. Then get back at me. 

2006 Played Florida BCS Champ

2008 Played Florida BCS Champ

2009 Played Alabama BCS Champ in SEC Title game

2010 Played Auburn BCS Champ

2011 Played LSU in SEC title game who lost to Alabama in the BCS title game

2012 Played Alabama in SEC title game.  Alabama BCS Champs

2013 Played Auburn who lost to Florida State in the BCS title game.

7 out of last 8 years of BCS played the BCS winner or runner-up during the season.

7 out of last 8 years of BCS played the BCS winner or runner-up during the season.

I see. Still is no excuse. Mark Richt and Bo Pelini have a lot in common. Consistent winners that was never to take the next step. Nebraska said it was enough and I  believe UGA will too at seasons end. 

Losing to your chief rival most of the time is no way to build a program.  They are unfortunate that Florida is their rival.  

2006 Record 9-4

2010 Record 6-7

2013 Record 8-5

So it's about more than just Florida.  So your 7 out 8 means nothing in the years they lost 3 regular season game or more.  He might be a hero at UNT but look at the type of recruits he gets.  Underachieving no matter how you slice it.  But if he could recruit half as good as he did at Georgia, I would take him at UNT.  But my guess is that if were to be fired and were available, most UNT fans would not be excited to have him.  And I for one could understand that assessment. 

And BCS title game or not, you must win at least one SEC championship during your tenure especially since Florida was down a while.  Ron Zook, and Muschamp were coaching at Florida for the majority of time.  Beat Florida in 2002 Georgia plays in the BCS title game. 

Edited by Mike Jackson

Georgia won the SEC in 2005 under Richt. They have one 3 or 4 east titles in his tenure as well. But he has been good enough to keep his job and that's why up to this point he's the longest tenured HC in the SEC and that's saying something. But he's just been good enough in the right years to keep his job and that's the problem for a lot of UGA fans. 

But to hell with uga, GMG. 

If we could get Richt I would be ecstatic. But that I'm afraid is a pipe dream. 

Another guy making the VT job rounds is James Madison HC Everitt Withers:  http://www.gobblercountry.com/2015/10/22/9586878/everett-withers-frank-beamer-virginia-tech-hokies-replacement.

His resume is pretty impressive although I would think VT may opt for a bigger name hire.

Herman leaving Houston would be a big problem for North Texas' coaching search.   None of those other guys (maybe an UTSt tertiary) would move the needle.