If this had been our team all season...

NT93

what would our record be?

I think the team (and coaching staff) that has been on the field the past three weeks beats SMU and maybe even Rice.  Southern Miss and Portland St. are still loses, but not nearly as lopsided.  Iowa probably calls the score regardless because they're proving to be pretty good this year.

Who knows, if Smith had been QB all year he might, just might be a little more accurate with his passes and that would make a big difference.

So I say we would be 3-5, with losses to teams that are 8-0, 6-3, 7-1(FCS), 7-2, 8-1.

• Upvote 2

I think the team (and coaching staff) that has been on the field the past three weeks beats SMU and maybe even Rice.  Southern Miss and Portland St. are still loses, but not nearly as lopsided.  Iowa probably calls the score regardless because they're proving to be pretty good this year.

Who knows, if Smith had been QB all year he might, just might be a little more accurate with his passes and that would make a big difference.

So I say we would be 3-5, with losses to teams that are 8-0, 6-3, 7-1(FCS), 7-2, 8-1.

If Damarcus Smith had been our day 1 starter with Canales calling the plays with no shackles we're a 4-4 team right now. I've said it before, there is decent talent on this team and the new HC should be informed of that day 1. Giving incoming coaches 3 years to produce is absolute craziness. There is enough talent to be competitive right now. We gotta get a guy in here to coach them up. 

Edited by Ben Gooding

We'd have beaten Smug, Rice, and PSU. PSU wasn't even a game because our team didn't care. You have to throw that score out because that game was more of a middle finger to McCarney, RV, or us, I'm not sure who.

• Upvote 2

We'd have beaten Smug, Rice, and PSU. PSU wasn't even a game because our team didn't care. You have to throw that score out because that game was more of a middle finger to McCarney, RV, or us, I'm not sure who.

While I agree with everything you say about the PSU game, I'm still not sure we beat them.  Maybe I'm just over rating them because they beat what is turning out to be a pretty good Washington St. team. 

At this point, if we were sitting at 2-6, but the wins were over smoo and ut-sa, it would certainly take a little of the sting out of the season.

The reality is that UNT, SMU, UTKFC, and UTEP all suck something fierce. It makes things a lot easier for Rice, UH, Tulsa, and La Tech when we all are awful...

• Upvote 1

Demarcus Smith doesn't play defense. The only game that may have been different is SMU.

Not Rice.

Not Iowa. 

Not Portland St. 

Not USM

So we MAY be 2-6 instead of 1-7. Maybe.

But I doubt even that would have happened, as Smith probably wasn't the QB in week one that he is now. 

Some of you are really drunk on the green koolaid after beating a 1-6 team that was forced to play their 4th and 5th team QB due to injury. You should wait until Wednesday to sober  up and then re-examine this issue with a clear head. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Demarcus Smith doesn't play defense. The only game that may have been different is SMU.

Not Rice.

Not Iowa. 

Not Portland St. 

Not USM

So we MAY be 2-6 instead of 1-7. Maybe.

But I doubt even that would have happened, as Smith probably wasn't the QB in week one that he is now. 

Some of you are really drunk on the green koolaid after beating a 1-6 team that was forced to play their 4th and 5th team QB due to injury. You should wait until Wednesday to sober  up and then re-examine this issue with a clear head. 

I think you underestimate what a good/servicable O does for a bad D (IN MOST CASES). Our offense was so bad for the first 5 games this season. The D lived on the field and lost interest in competing because they were ALWAYS down, playing on a short field, and knew there was no shot at a W. That can break down the toughest of competitors. We were in the perfect storm and the D caught the blunt of it the majority of the time. 

And my opinion isnt based off anything to do with nutsack. We are fighting and scrapping for bowl eligibility if D Smith was QB1 on Sep12. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1

We would have beat Rice and SMU for sure. Rice isn't as good as some of you make them out to be. The SMU loss is like the 2013 Tulane Loss. We would have beat those guys with yesterday's team effort without a doubt. 

Luckily Chico rallied the guys together and brought us our first win against the one team I hoped we could salvage any respect this season. That Victory over nUTSAck was much needed this year.

• Upvote 1

If Ifs and Buts Were Candy and Nuts, It Would Be Christmas Every Day

We would still likely have the same record. That was a horrible game yesterday against a really horrible opponent. Nothing else.

Edited by KingDL1

Not really. These are ifs and buts that need to be brought up. It creates momentum from the inside out for the program. It also gives the team confidence to hear the public believe they are not as bad as their 1-7 record. 

The team RIGHT NOW  beats the homecoming team by 10 touchdowns. We're better. They're better. And it needs to be talked about. 

Thanks, Dan. 

Not really. These are ifs and buts that need to be brought up. It creates momentum from the inside out for the program. It also gives the team confidence to hear the public believe they are not as bad as their 1-7 record. 

The team RIGHT NOW  beats the homecoming team by 10 touchdowns. We're better. They're better. And it needs to be talked about. 

Thanks, Dan. 

What are you talking about? Did you see the stats? You do know we played against a walk-on 4th string QB. 

The only really good was we won, and more importantly we got the goose egg off our backs. 

It's typical fan board overreaction. Win one game and they want to hire Chico permanently, think we are going to hang with Tennessee, and expect a competitive game against La. Tech next week. 

I also thank God we won that game and won't get the goose egg this year, but also know we beat a 4th team QB leading a 1-6 opponent. 

La. Tech may score 50 plus next week. People will come back to earth when that happens. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thanks, Dan. 

Mostly agree with you but brew some stronger coffee. This team does not put up large offensive numbers. We could have beaten the homecoming team by 10 touchdowns if 9 of those were made by Special Teams and Defense. Lacking big plays by the D, we're still a 17 ppg "juggernaut".

It's typical fan board overreaction. Win one game and they want to hire Chico permanently, think we are going to hang with Tennessee, and expect a competitive game against La. Tech next week. 

I also thank God we won that game and won't get the goose egg this year, but also know we beat a 4th team QB leading a 1-6 opponent. 

La. Tech may score 50 plus next week. People will come back to earth when that happens. 

La Tech will score 50 on us. We are not going to even sniff competing with Tennessee. We are not what we could be because our starting QB has 3 starts under his belt rather than 8. More importantly, he has 3 weeks of reps as QB1 instead of 8 weeks in-season and 5 weeks of fall camp. This current version of North Texas loses by 4 TD's vs the version if Smith was QB1 from day 1. That's all I'm saying. I have everything in perspective, but I can slso see what could have been and IMO what will be in 2016. 

Oh and I'm not lobbying for Canales to be HC, at all. 

La Tech will score 50 on us. We are not going to even sniff competing with Tennessee. We are not what we could be because our starting QB has 3 starts under his belt rather than 8. More importantly, he has 3 weeks of reps as QB1 instead of 8 weeks in-season and 5 weeks of fall camp. This current version of North Texas loses by 4 TD's vs the version if Smith was QB1 from day 1. That's all I'm saying. I have everything in perspective, but I can slso see what could have been and IMO what will be in 2016. 

Oh and I'm not lobbying for Canales to be HC, at all. 

This.

Show a little optimism and you're branded an idiot who thinks we could come back and win C-USA this year with Canales as national coach of the year.  All most of us are saying is that we are vastly improved over the team we ran out there less than a month ago.  That 4th team QB leading a 1-6 opponent beats us by 20+ points a month ago.

If Ifs and Buts Were Candy and Nuts, It Would Be Christmas Every Day

We would still likely have the same record. That was a horrible game yesterday against a really horrible opponent. Nothing else.

exactly, I packed up and headed home after our first possession in the third quarter, we both stunk and that's fact.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This.

Show a little optimism and you're branded an idiot who thinks we could come back and win C-USA this year with Canales as national coach of the year.  All most of us are saying is that we are vastly improved over the team we ran out there less than a month ago.  That 4th team QB leading a 1-6 opponent beats us by 20+ points a month ago.

Craphole rushed for 230 yards and their 4th team QB threw for 245. That's 475 yards of offense given up to a team playing their 4th team QB.

Im ecstatic that we returned a fumble for a TD and blocked an extra point for 2 points of our own, especially since absent those 2 plays, we lose this game. 

DeMarcus was great on the ground, but only threw for 104 yards passing. Craphole had a 104 yard edge in total offense.

And Ben talked about the offense keeping the defense off the field? Great theory, but it didn't happen against Craphole. The time of possession was 37:36 Craphole to 22:24 for UNT. Not exactly keeping the defense off the field. 

So how did we win? The two plays mentioned above. 

Look, I am thrilled that we won, but also know that UTEP is going to be a struggle to win, and it is our only realistic shot at another victory.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Craphole rushed for 230 yards and their 4th team QB threw for 245. That's 475 yards of offense given up to a team playing their 4th team QB.

Im ecstatic that we returned a fumble for a TD and blocked an extra point for 2 points of our own, especially since absent those 2 plays, we lose this game. 

DeMarcus was great on the ground, but only threw for 104 yards passing. Craphole had a 104 yard edge in total offense.

And Ben talked about the offense keeping the defense off the field? Great theory, but it didn't happen against Craphole. The time of possession was 37:36 Craphole to 22:24 for UNT. Not exactly keeping the defense off the field. 

Look, I am thrilled that we won, but also know that UTEP is Hong to be a struggle to win, and it is our only realistic shot at another victory.

I'm not talking what was or what is 90. I'm only talking what could be and what will be. Smith is a bright spot on a very bad team. Wilson too. It's nice to have a bright spot at the QB position. He's the best QB that I have seen at North Texas in my short time. He has 10 months starting today to be that much better and potentially the best QB to ever play at North Texas. He's a 200 pass 75 rush threat every time he touches the field. That's the kind of potential we are looking at and that's exciting. 

Look, I am thrilled that we won, but also know that UTEP is going to be a struggle to win, and it is our only realistic shot at another victory.

We could have had those two plays a month ago and we still would have lost (probably by 20+).  We're a better team now than were a month ago. That's all I'm sayin.