Mark Mangino #1 Target?

Mean_Green09

Mark-Mangino-Fired-Iowa-State.jpg

Mark Mangino has been part of a turnaround at nearly every level of college football. In his first season at OU he quietly molded the University of Oklahoma offensive line into one of the best in the Big 12 Conference. The term quietly is only used because offensive lineman usually just get noticed when there are penalties or quarterback sacks. In one season under Mangino, penalties and sacks have been a rare occurrence for the Sooner linemen.

In the first 11 games with Mangino at the helm, the Sooner offensive line paced the Big 12 Conference with just 13 sacks allowed in 512 passing opportunities. Spearheading the improvement was center Matt O’Neal and tackle Stockar McDougle who each earned second-team All-Big 12 honors in 1999. O’Neal garnered his all-conference honor after playing 99 percent of the offensive snaps (802 plays) with just one penalty and no sacks. McDougle, on the other hand, finished ’99 as one of most improved players on the line with four sacks allowed and five penalties.

As far as heading up the OU running attack, Mangino worked side-by-side offensive coordinator Mike Leach to produce the perfect compliment to the Sooner air attack. On the year, OU running backs gained 1,295 yards and scored 18 touchdowns while being called on just 35 percent of the time.

Mangino came to Norman last January after completing his eighth and most successful season at Kansas State University. Holding the same title at KSU, Mangino had the longest tenure of any of K-State assistant coach under Bill Snyder. He was named the assistant head coach at the beginning of the 1998 season, but also served as the running game coordinator and offensive line coach. He also coordinated K-State’s recruiting efforts.

Under his guidance, the Kansas State running game improved yearly. In 1998, KSU finished 10th nationally and third in the Big 12 Conference in rushing offense. In 11 regular season games, the Wildcats set new school standards for rushing yards (2,521), rushing average (229.2 ypg) and rushing touchdowns (41). The 41 rushing touchdowns were also the most by a Big 12 team in the ’98 season.

Mangino, 43, joined the K-State staff in 1991 after serving as the head football coach at Ellwood City (Pa.) High School for one year. Prior to that, he spent three seasons (1987-89) as the offensive coordinator at Geneva (Pa.) College, where he helped the program to its three best seasons in school history (24-9) and the 1987 NAIA national semifinals. He also coached two seasons (1985-86) as an assistant coach at Youngstown State and four years (1981-84) as an assistant coach at his alma mater, New Castle (Pa.) High School, which is one of the winningest program’s in America.

Mangino and his wife, Mary Jane, are the parents of two children, Samantha and Tommy.

The Mangino File

• Birthdate: August 26, 1956
  • Hometown: New Castle, Pa.
  • High School Education: New Castle High School
  • College Education: Youngstown State (1987)
  • Martial Status: Married to the former Mary Jane Fiorante. They have two children, Samantha (17) and Tommy (14).

Coaching Experience

2000University of Oklahoma (Asst. Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator/Off. Line)
1999University of Oklahoma (Asst. Head Coach/Run Game Coordinator/Off. Line)
1998Kansas State University (Assistant Head Coach)
1997Kansas State University (Running Game Coordinator)
1991-96Kansas State University (Assistant Coach)
1990Ellwood City (Pa.) High School (Head Football Coach)
1987-89Geneva (Pa.) College (Offensive Coordinator)
1985-86Youngstown State University (Assistant Coach)
1981-84New Castle (Pa.) High School (Assistant Coach)
Edited by Coach Andy Mac

I don't see a reason for all the opposition. The guy is available today and he has a career winning record(Mac didn't have that). He is a Broyles award winner and won many coach of the year awards for his 12-1 Orange Bowl winning season at FREAKING KANSAS!!

Also, the below....I've underlined and bolded the important points. He is not anything like McCarney when it comes to offense.

Following the win against the Iowa State Cyclones, Mark Mangino became the first KU football coach with a winning career record since Jack Mitchell in 1966. While at Kansas, Mangino led the Jayhawks to 19 consecutive weeks ranked in the AP and/or USA Today polls (2007–08), 20 wins in a 2-year period for the first time in school history, set home attendance average records in each of the last 4 seasons (2004–2008), led KU to its first appearance in national polls since 1996 and to the school’s highest ranking ever at #2, produced the top 3 total offense seasons in school history, the top two passing seasons and two of the top three scoring seasons and won three Bowl games—the same number they had won in their 102-year history combined prior to his arrival.

With 50 victories, Mangino has the second-most victories in Kansas coaching history.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

God, please, no.

Links to academic fraud, allegations of abusive language used on university staff, fired from Iowa State after 1 year, and 3 of 7 years at KU with a winning record, for a total of 50-48. No. No. No. No. No. No. I might actually stop attending football altogether if this guy is the hire. He just stinks of bad news and poor conduct.

Edited by meangreendork
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

God, please, no.

Links to academic fraud, allegations of abusive language used on university staff, fired from Iowa State after 1 year, and 3 of 7 years at KU with a winning record, for a total of 50-48. No. No. No. No. No. No. I might actually stop attending football altogether if this guy is the hire. He just stinks of bad news and poor conduct.

Just to point out, 50-48 is better than 0-0 which is what Cumbie, Applewhite, and Kendal Briles have. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ok, folks, this is serious. I don't care about a guy's waistline if he is a good coach. That said, my brother was on the faculty at KU and a member of the athletic board; and, although the exact reasons for Mangino's firing were not made public, I did hear from my brother that they were serious. I was told he had to go.

• Upvote 1

That sounds a lot like things I heard about Coach Mac and ISU.  

We can do far better than Mangino. 

I don't think we can do better than Mangino with RV as the AD...he's not the answer to the problems here--at all.

You need to find our version of Tom Herman or Chad Morris that will come here or a coach like Willie Fritz. Chris Thomsen really does seem like a guy I'd want to talk to...same with Sonny Cumbie. Derek Dooley knows this area and has been a successful head coach at a G5 peer, and now has pro ties for recruiting purposes.

And here we are about to hire a coach that literally no one else will hire as a head coach again...this is so RV, its not even funny.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

script>script>

Apologies if something about this has already been posted.  It appears this may be someone trolling us?

Evidently I can't embed tweets either.  Here's the quote from MeanGreenNation:  "I had to actually do work but let me catch u up. @dfwSportsWire tweeted some stuff. I questioned source. I also linked to my thoughts on it"

Edited by Tyler Maryak

bNZuysV.jpg

Seriously, though...the journalist breaking this, Jake Trotter, is a guy who has covered the Oklahoma Sooners and the Big 12 for many years.  So, he probably does have excellent sources to Mangino, if not directly to Mangino himself.   

Don't know what to think about this.  My heart tells me no, but my head looks at the success with K-State, Oklahoma, and Kansas...all three of which were either building or rebuilding when he took jobs. The guy did recruit Texas like a motherscratcher.  Like that he'd be able to recruit starting in November, giving the program at least some sense of stability. 

He can flash a national tile ring, along with multiple Big 12 championship rings, and more bowl rings than his fingers and handle.  McCarney had his national championship ring, but not near the title and bowl rings Mangino does.   

I think more than anything, the Iowa State situation is that Paul Rhodes is on the verge of being fired anyway.  There has been talk of it the past two seasons.  Mangino probably sensed that and had his agent contact UNT.  It's just another headache Rhodes didn't need.

I'm 50/50 on Mangino.  If we're interviewing him, I'm hoping we also contacted Nutt and Bowden, if even to have them tell us no.  They can filter among their coaching pals that we are serious about getting a big name in here.

• Upvote 2

Sandwiches are way too healthy for him. A guy I GA'd with and a guy I played with in high school played for him during the 2006-2009 run. Said he would eat a bowl of mac and cheese as an appetizer before devouring an entire family of fried chicken. He also likes to dip potato chips in butter.

But most importantly was their emphasis on how much the players could not stand Mangino.

• Upvote 4

script>script>

Apologies if something about this has already been posted.  It appears this may be someone trolling us?

Evidently I can't embed tweets either.  Here's the quote from MeanGreenNation:  "I had to actually do work but let me catch u up. @dfwSportsWire tweeted some stuff. I questioned source. I also linked to my thoughts on it"

Let this be a lesson to all of you, never trust an account that has tweeted over 4,000 times and has 66 followers

• Upvote 5

script>script>

See Below....Harry Helped me out on this a while back. When you copy the URL from the tweet go to the "Insert other Media" Tab in bottom right then "Insert Image from URL"....You then paste the URL from the tweet into that and you should be good to go

Glad to help! When you go to the tweet, you first have to open it up, which basically means click somewhere in the tweet box and it will expand a bit.  The you will see the option "detail" reveal itself.  Click that.  Then take the code in the address box, ie: "http://twitter..... and paste that into your post.  Hit return and press post and it should work.  Let me know if this works for you.  gmg

Edited by Withers940
  • Upvote 1