counterpoint to banners

flyonthewall

Does any body realize or care that one of the men holding a check for 1 million dollars was Brint Ryan?  Our Chairman of the Board of Regents?  Does anyone realize that this was the first football game he has been to since the middle of last year?

Does anyone realize that you don't show up people like Dr. Smastresk in public?  

You guys are going to label yourselves as just plain radicals.  My only comparison is the "Occupy Wall Street" movement, which accomplished nothing.  

I would use my energy and money if I were you on other things, because this banner thing is not going to end well for anybody.  You may feel better and laugh and point while it is flying over, but the public attention that you are going to put on this University is just not worth it.

You are not crapping on RV, you are crapping on Smastresk and Ryan, and they are not going to like it.

You are just giving them a reason to shoot you the metaphorical finger, if they aren't already doing it.

You don't fire a football coach and then an athletic director after that, because somebody has to hire a football coach, so in their mind (pure speculation on my part because I don't talk to either of them) replacing the athletic director was never in the cards.

Not two months after receiving 3 very public gifts over three million dollars, and two private gifts totaling two million more.  It would be crazy.

I know you are going to carry on.  I will touch back with you guys in about 3 months and see what you accomplished besides "flushing more hondos down the drain".

• Upvote 11
  • Downvote 30

Fly I would love to talk with you privately someday, I think there is plenty you are missing. From many different points. If I am ever in trouble I would really like you on my side. You come across very loyal, kind and down to earth. 

But for me it boils down to RV needs to go and now. 

RV with that loss to Portland and has given us a black eye that may last a hundred years who knows, hopefully less. 

You are not crapping on RV, you are crapping on Smastresk and Ryan, and they are not going to like it.

Then how come we are being ignored?

We are not in the business to please the guys who run UNT. We are the customers, not the other way around... Who cares what they like.....

Only North Texas that this kind of stuff goes on and no one will stand up to the big man, (because he won't like it).

• Upvote 5

Fly I would love to talk with you privately someday, I think there is plenty you are missing. From many different points. If I am ever in trouble I would really like you on my side. You come across very loyal, kind and down to earth. 

But for me it boils down to RV needs to go and now. 

RV with that loss to Portland and has given us a black eye that may last a hundred years who knows, hopefully less. 

Oh I think there is plenty that you are missing.  I have stated publicly over and over again where I tailgate.  Not one person has come over and approached.  I have been there at the same spot for 4 plus years.  I start cooking 9 hours before game time, to have food ready 6 hours before game time.  You can talk to me, you can talk to many of these other "17" as we have been labeled.  You can drive by and flip us all the freakin your number one sign for all I care.

I guess the main point I think you are missing is this.  You want R.V. fired?  You got to get the two guys higher up on the chain gone first.  GET IT?  And this banner is only going to piss them off and dig them in deeper.

Then how come we are being ignored?

We are not in the business to please the guys who run UNT. We are the customers, not the other way around... Who cares what they like.....

Only North Texas that this kind of stuff goes on and no one will stand up to the big man, (because he won't like it).

I hope I have helped you with the being ignored thing in my answer to KING.  It was never part of the equation to fire RV.

Edited by flyonthewall
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Does any body realize or care that one of the men holding a check for 1 million dollars was Brint Ryan?  Our Chairman of the Board of Regents?  Does anyone realize that this was the first football game he has been to since the middle of last year?

You guys are going to label yourselves as just plain radicals.  My only comparison is the "Occupy Wall Street" movement, which accomplished nothing.  

I would use my energy and money if I were you on other things, because this banner thing is not going to end well for anybody.  You may feel better and laugh and point while it is flying over, but the public attention that you are going to put on this University is just not worth it.

You are just giving them a reason to shoot you the metaphorical finger, if they aren't already doing it.

You don't fire a football coach and then an athletic director after that, because somebody has to hire a football coach, so in their mind (pure speculation on my part because I don't talk to either of them) replacing the athletic director was never in the cards.

Not two months after receiving 3 very public gifts over three million dollars, and two private gifts totaling two million more.  It would be crazy.

I know you are going to carry on.  I will touch back with you guys in about 3 months and see what you accomplished besides "flushing more hondos down the drain".

Just where do you propose we use OUR money?

How are we crapping on Smatresk and Ryan? We are simply voicing our displeasure with their employee RV.

What do you mean by "they are not going to like it". Just what are they going to do? Is that a not so veiled threat on their behalf?

Rest assured, keeping RV in place is a middle finger that was raised some time ago.

Why would it be crazy. I would hope the gifts are to UNT and not to RV. Am I wrong here?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

I guess the main point I think you are missing is this.  You want R.V. fired?  You got to get the two guys higher up on the chain gone first.  GET IT?  And this banner is only going to piss them off and dig them in deeper.

Thank you! I hope this point sinks in. 

Back in th 60s, Lyndon Johnson was going to fire the throughly hated director of the FBI J. Edgar Hoover. However, some reporters with the Washington Post embarrassed Johnson in demanding that it happen immediately. LBJ was so mad that instead of firing Hoover, he reapponted him for a longer term. 

• Upvote 1

I hope I have helped you with the being ignored thing in my answer to KING.  It was never part of the equation to fire RV.

Okay

Smatresk's reputation precedes him, and I know what you mean.

But I think the reverse will happen: He will not stand by and be associated with RV. It would be a good move on his part, and gain popularity with fans. 

• Upvote 1

Smatresk's reputation precedes him, and I know what you mean.

But I think the reverse will happen: He will not stand by and be associated with RV. It would be a good move on his part, and gain popularity with fans. 

Also, a way to stop the coming exodus and maybe accelerate support.

I don't think I can emphasize how much I couldn't care less. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Here's my humble opinion about our Athletic Program under RV

This past year I never received a call or email asking me to renew.  Yes, I got the blast emails but nothing personal and I also receiving something I'm the mail. However, I was never too motivated to renew because I didnt like where the program ended last year.

I went to the ticket office for our first home game and asked if it's normal not to call or email season ticket holders asking to renew.  He later on said that my phone number was wrong but why was I receiving calls from players thanking them for being apart of the MGC.

Then one of the directors asked when I graduated and she said "I'm donating more than I have too."  I politely said "Yes, I know what my donation level is and I don't plan on lowering it."  Your job is to raise as much money as possible and when money is in you're trying not to accept it?   A normal response would have been- Thank you for your generous donation and GMG. 

Its a a failure across the board and leadership needs to change. 

This times 1 million.

Even if they don't like it, what are they going to do? Sink the program? Sorry, but that's already been done by the guy we want removed.

Well it seems clear that what flyonthewall thinks will happen is this will only make them mad, and do the opposite of what is wanted. You start making people dig in and it's more difficult for them to back down from their position even if they wanted to do so. It seems it's his opinion that RV is liked by the people above him who would make a change. 

Fly might also might think that RV needs to go, to my knowledge he hasn't said where he stands,  he's just saying this will not end well and possibly make people dig in which will have a worse outcome than has been considered.

And look, RV hasn't sunk the program. If Coach X comes in here and goes 12-0 and gets us ranked then everyone forgets about this year. The program has been built up to where expectations are there and we can be successful. That was on RV's watch. Someone else might have done the same or better. But we can't redo history.

I can't believe I'm defending RV, because I think a change would be good, but not seeing the situation for what it is is not helpful.

Ron Paul 2012!

• Upvote 4

So is this speculation or have board members and the president indicated to you or anyone else for that matter that they would never consider firing RV under the circumstances? If that is the case then the point of the banner is just so people can get their displeasure heard. I don't see how that hurts the perceptions of our university, when, like others have mentioned, this happens at many other big Universities. You say the reason is because we just fired our head football coach, so when would be good timing for such a move?