Can we hire the guy we should have hired in 2010 now?

gangrene

I was a Jim Leavitt proponent at that time, but like gangrene I think five years later is too late. A missed opportunity. Is there another, active Jim Leavitt clone out there?

Mario Critsobal is an offensive lines coach at Alabama right now.  I bet he'd like to get his shot again.  He showed loyalty when he had offers from other schools trying to poach him from FIU and he refused.  Of course, maybe he's never gonna get burnt like that again, but he should know that he would sure as hell get ample time to turn this around here.

• Upvote 5

Leavitt was making more money at USF back in the late 2000's than McCarney is making now. 

I have no idea how much he's making as CU's DC, but I bet its more than what we're paying McCarney.   Can you imagine paying off McCarney's deal, then having to pay Leavitt even more than what we're paying McCarney?

Where is all of this money coming from y'all?

Mario Critsobal is an offensive lines coach at Alabama right now.  I bet he'd like to get his shot again.  He showed loyalty when he had offers from other schools trying to poach him from FIU and he refused.  Of course, maybe he's never gonna get burnt like that again, but he should know that he would sure as hell get ample time to turn this around here.

His head coach record is nothing to be impressed by: 27-47, but he was also coaching at FIU, which would be hard to coach for even if Nick Saban up and worked there. I think his time at Miami and Alabama are worth a look.

I still think there's someone better. I'd almost rather find someone successful - no, championship caliber from the FCS level and bring them here.

We have too much South Florida stink on this program as is.

200.gif

I'll retract my previous statement since I didn't realize how poor Cristobal's record was overall, but I don't think I care about any one particular geographic origin.  I think this whole "MUST HAVE TEXAS TIES!!!11!!111!!! ELEVENTY ONE!!!" sentiment that many people cling to has proven just as irrelevant to the success of a coach in Denton as has been his soft drink of choice or which bottle he happens to have open while driving.

I'll retract my previous statement since I didn't realize how poor Cristobal's record was overall, but I don't think I care about any one particular geographic origin.  I think this whole "MUST HAVE TEXAS TIES!!!11!!111!!! ELEVENTY ONE!!!" sentiment that many people cling to has proven just as irrelevant to the success of a coach in Denton as has been his soft drink of choice or which bottle he happens to have open while driving.

Agree with the must have Texas ties. But they must have recruited at least recruited Texas and the surrounding states. Actually, the fact that everyone within 50 miles of Denton thinks we are terrible at football, means we shouldn't be focusing so much on the metroplex and should look in the other areas of Texas and Oklahoma. 

I would take Major Applewhite if he would take us. We need young and hungry. Not someone at the twilight of their career. Briles, Sumlin, maybe Applewhite is the next great coach to cut his teeth at University of Houston.

However, Jim Leavitt would have experience at recruiting at a school who was an afterthought in the region and on a campus that is commuter oriented. The Bulls have never been the same after his departure. Not that there was much history, they started playing football in 1997! 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I was referring to USF where Chico, Mac, and Leavitt all coached together. We could do worse than Mario.

Edited by Cr1028

Cristobal would be a great choice for whoever hires him. He basically brought FIU from the ground to a bowl champion in like three years. He even turned down the Pitt job to saty at FIU because he thought he was building something. Then they get a new AD and the football team graduates TY Hilton and others and dropped back to 3-9, at which point he got fired. They haven't been any good since.

But he would be a better selection for a school in the Southeast, an SBC or CUSA team.

• Upvote 2

Cristobal would be a great choice for whoever hires him. He basically brought FIU from the ground to a bowl champion in like three years. He even turned down the Pitt job to saty at FIU because he thought he was building something. Then they get a new AD and the football team graduates TY Hilton and others and dropped back to 3-9, at which point he got fired. They haven't been any good since.

But he would be a better selection for a school in the Southeast, an SBC or CUSA team.

Cristobal would be a great hire, he should right there with Fritz IMO

I don't think you need Texas ties especially -- I mean did Dodge do some *amazing* recruiting with his superb Texas ties?

If you can sell your vision, with both the product (on field success) and the promise (persuasion) then we should be able to get some guys in here. U of NT is in the Metroplex, and is basically Austin circa 1977, it has big city and small town vibes, lots of opportunity, a big network of alumni, and is in a transportation hub. As long as we have half-way decent support for the coach, said coach should be able to compete for conference titles every four years at the very minimum.

Baylor was an awful sell forever until Briles brought some winning ways to effing Waco.

As long as we are derpy derping in our athletic department, we won't be able to get the coaches that can do the above and we'll be stuck complaining about which coach can get them in here. But it's not like we can't get talent to this team. I mean, we have a handful of NFL caliber players, and there have been a good number of all-conference dudes. 

Just not enough in the right positions (ahem QB) and not enough playing together (now, last year, 2012, 2011). 

• Upvote 3

You know.  I've mentioned this before, but Mark Mangino, who turned freaking Kansas  into an Orange Bowl winner, is still stuck as an OC at Iowa State.   He's probably one of the best coaches around and is affordable, but I know, I know he's fat....we certainly can't have that.   Let's just go after Major Applewhite and throw another 5 years down the drain....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't think you need Texas ties especially -- I mean did Dodge do some *amazing* recruiting with his superb Texas ties?

Yep, his last signing class didn't include Abbe, Byrd, Chancellor, Antonio Johnson, Zach Orr, Will Wright, Marcus Smith, and Mason Y'Barbo, He also signed the starting quarterback for our only bowl win and winning season under this current bum. Coach Mac outta kiss Todd Dodge's ass for setting him up so well. Mac had one winning season and he did it was Dodge recruits in a stadium that Dodge busted his ass fundraising to build. Dodge made ridiculous mistakes his first year or two on the job, but he learned from them and got better each year. Coach Mac just gets worse as time goes on.

He also brought us our all-time leading rusher and this guy who coach Mac sent packing. He went on to do ok at FCS.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2