Culture, Culture, Culture?

physics90

UNT90 posted recently that things will not change for the athletic department because of a "losing" mentality at UNT. My major was in physics; the department did not give a hoot about excellence. The other science departments were just the same. Would any of you comment about your major departments. Were they striving to be the best?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UNT90 posted recently that things will not change for the athletic department because of a "losing" mentality at UNT. My major was in physics; the department did not give a hoot about excellence. The other science departments were just the same. Would any of you comment about your major departments. Were they striving to be the best?

Richard Feynman ain't walking through that door.

• Upvote 3

College of Education is one of the best anywhere and IS the best in Texas. That is why my wife and I both went there. We are also both football fans and attend every game. Today during the drive home she commented that if either of us had the performance record of RV or Mac, we would be fired.

Half the teachers I have worked with are NT grads, but my wife and I are the only ones I know that have any MG gear in our classrooms. The one A&M grad at my current campus has all but painted her room maroon and the UT grad wears burnt orange three days a week.This year a fellow teacher and NT grad saw the battle flag decal on my desk and asked if was a UNT flag. She thought it looked familiar.

• Upvote 5

Talent trumps culture.  We're lacking in talent. 

I respectfully completely disagree.  We have more talent across the board right now than I can remember since I got to NT in 2005 which isn't saying much, but my point is culture, discipline, attitude wins games.  That's how navy has been competitive with such a challenge to find talent...it's how TCU rose from the ashes...same for most winning programs.  Talent comes after a backbone of discipline is built.  

COBA has done a ton to achieve new standards in recent years.  I'm a proud holder of a UNT BBA 

• Upvote 1

I'm a proud holder of a UNT MBA and talk up COBA to anyone. Having said that, I noticed that the new Dean has vowed to make it a Top 100 program...but when I was there we were ranked in the high 70s. I'm not sayin'...just sayin'. :hello:

• Upvote 3

Just received my BBA in Decision Sciences from the COBA. I would argue Dr. Dake as being one of the most passionate, intelligent, and level headed professors on campus. He is top notch, and the program and staff overall are on the rise. I would argue the majority of the COBA is on the rise which makes the University well rounded. We've always had good liberal arts. Add in a top 100 business school(which I think is headed in that direction, we already have a top 10 program in Logistics) and it'll make us look even better.

• Upvote 1