SMU thank you, credit where credit is due.

KingDL1

I can't stand when the GB wear those damn things. Ridiculous. 

Agreed agreed agreed. My wife caught a glimpse of the GB on my computer screen and commented that we looked like we had a high school band. Can we also write a letter to the Prez about this? I know it's hot in those uniforms, but it just looks bad. #banduniformtalkcausei'mtiredoftalkingaboutthelosstosmu

I believe the American flag should be higher than the state and definitely higher than the School flag.  But not entirely sure, I could have dreamed that.

Jesse will we see you at tailgate this weekend? 

The Texas flag is allowed to be at equal height.  The SMU flag is not.

Old Glory looks sad in your picture @FirefightnRick.

Maybe I just had a chip on my shoulder and was looking for a little confirmation bias.  I definitely saw and heard behavior befitting the stereotypes of SMU. A lot of it.

But then I didn't attempt to speak to anybody on the boulevard.  I was sitting in the section where green and red began to mix.  I don't know who the SMU population was in that section -- probably not students, probably not big donors.  Looked to me to be maybe grad students or recent alumni.  Definitely carried themselves with privileged behavior and derision for the unwashed masses.

I just kept telling myself that when I came back to work this morning, I'd talk to the SMU grads who work for me, and tell them that it is very off putting to behave like that outside the friendly confines of your local land locked yacht club.

The only other schools I've done road games at were LaTech and LSU (for baseball).  I found LaTech not necessarily particularly welcoming, but neither was it hostile or rude.  LSU was more hospitable than I can handle.  I don't much remember many things past the sixth inning because they wouldn't let me take three steps without shoving a beer and a bowl of rice and beans down my throat.  Then we sat out at the tailgate for probably an hour after the game eating and drinking more.  Those guys take their tailgating SERIOUSLY, and they share it without bounds.

SMU stands alone in the talk and behavior I saw, even if outliers or isolated cases.  The vocal majority can confirm the stereotype for most casual viewers.

The flags of the states of California and Texas are the only two that are allowed (etiquettely speaking) to be flown at the same level as the U.S. flag.  But the SMU flag should be lower.

Rick

I think they can be at the same height so long as the U.S. Flag is accorded the position of honor on the (flag's) right. If one of those three poles was taller then the U.S. Flag should be flown on the pole.

ETA:

http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

When flown with flags of states, communities, or societies on separate flag poles which are of the same height and in a straight line, the flag of the United States is always placed in the position of honor - to its own right.
..The other flags may be smaller but none may be larger.
..No other flag ever should be placed above it.
..The flag of the United States is always the first flag raised and the last to be lowered.

Edited by Army of Dad
Citation
  • Upvote 1

I think they can be at the same height so long as the U.S. Flag is accorded the position of honor on the (flag's) right. If one of those three poles was taller then the U.S. Flag should be flown on the pole.

ETA:

When flown with flags of states, communities, or societies on separate flag poles which are of the same height and in a straight line, the flag of the United States is always placed in the position of honor - to its own right.
..The flag of the United States is always the first flag raised and the last to be lowered.

That is what I've aways read and heard. Many city halls, police and fire stations in the area have city flags at the same height, but to the right of the US flag. Now, if you walk around to the back, then they might not appear to be to the right! That depends on what you are considering the "front."

I believe the American flag should be higher than the state and definitely higher than the School flag.  But not entirely sure, I could have dreamed that.

Jesse will we see you at tailgate this weekend? 

Not sure yet, but I'm trying to convince AoM to go to the game...

That is what I've aways read and heard. Many city halls, police and fire stations in the area have city flags at the same height, but to the right of the US flag. Now, if you walk around to the back, then they might not appear to be to the right! That depends on what you are considering the "front."

Think of it like you are the flag and you are looking out. Either away from a building or from a wall (say a flag displayed behind a judge's bench or if the flag is draped down a wall the blue field will be on it's right-again as if you had your back to the wall)

Maybe I just had a chip on my shoulder and was looking for a little confirmation bias.  I definitely saw and heard behavior befitting the stereotypes of SMU. A lot of it.

But then I didn't attempt to speak to anybody on the boulevard.  I was sitting in the section where green and red began to mix.  I don't know who the SMU population was in that section -- probably not students, probably not big donors.  Looked to me to be maybe grad students or recent alumni.  Definitely carried themselves with privileged behavior and derision for the unwashed masses.

I just kept telling myself that when I came back to work this morning, I'd talk to the SMU grads who work for me, and tell them that it is very off putting to behave like that outside the friendly confines of your local land locked yacht club.

The only other schools I've done road games at were LaTech and LSU (for baseball).  I found LaTech not necessarily particularly welcoming, but neither was it hostile or rude.  LSU was more hospitable than I can handle.  I don't much remember many things past the sixth inning because they wouldn't let me take three steps without shoving a beer and a bowl of rice and beans down my throat.  Then we sat out at the tailgate for probably an hour after the game eating and drinking more.  Those guys take their tailgating SERIOUSLY, and they share it without bounds.

SMU stands alone in the talk and behavior I saw, even if outliers or isolated cases.  The vocal majority can confirm the stereotype for most casual viewers.

I'm not trying to argue with you, but I have a question based on the your posts regarding SMU I've read on here this last week, did you go to the game wanting to find these stereotypes and then focus only on them? It sure sounds like it to me. You admitted you didn't talk to any SMU fans.

If you go to any college game wearing the visiting team's gear someone is going to mouth off to you, especially students drinking. It's just my guess but I think you could've been invited to an SMU tent and treated great for a couple of hours before the game and as you were leaving a drink student walked past you said something inappropriate that you would focus only on that. 

Edited by MJavierSMU

I'm not trying to argue with you, but I have a question based on the your posts regarding SMU I've read on here this last week, did you go to the game wanting to find these stereotypes and then focus only on them? It sure sounds like it to me.

Read my post again in which I fully admitted that perhaps I was looking for some confirmation bias.  I really didn't attempt to interact with anybody one way or the other.  The main point is that while wandering around alone, not particularly looking for anything one way or the other, it was the bad apples that stuck out in the barrel.

ETA:

The SMU flag is larger the the U.S. Flag

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i.imgur.com/pCzEHcz.jpg

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Read my post again in which I fully admitted that perhaps I was looking for some confirmation bias.  I really didn't attempt to interact with anybody one way or the other.  The main point is that while wandering around alone, not particularly looking for anything one way or the other, it was the bad apples that stuck out in the barrel.

Fair enough. Even though I'm not from Texas I've been here for fifteen years, but I still don't understand how so many people here stereotype groups of people (schools, towns, race, income) and just give them no chance. It's hard for me to wrap my arms around that mindset. 

Agreed agreed agreed. My wife caught a glimpse of the GB on my computer screen and commented that we looked like we had a high school band. Can we also write a letter to the Prez about this? I know it's hot in those uniforms, but it just looks bad. #banduniformtalkcausei'mtiredoftalkingaboutthelosstosmu

I'm not real wild about them either but having kids in high school band, we have wear them as well.  We wore the khaki shorts this week and the other band did not.  After halftime, their band was have serious heat related issues.  Saturday wasn't as hot but it really has become a safety issue.  We are scheduled to wear the full uniform this Friday night and i'm putting the over/under on kids to the ambulance at 2.5.