Remind me of why it's impossible again

emmitt01

People are fooling themselves if they think bringing in a new AD is the cure all to our ills.  Sure, some fans might come back because they don't like RV but what about the thousands upon thousands of other fans that don't come for any number of reasons?  I don't foresee our scheduling getting much better either.  If we got rid of RV today I see us having 5 home games a season with a banner P5 school in Apogee starting in either 2019 or 2020.

And this is why UNT will always be who they are. 

And also why UNT will continue to turn zero heads of disaffected alumni. 

Accepting athletic failure is what UNT does. Always has, always will.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

If we got rid of RV today, whoever is next will have 4 years to get this thing off the ground... or run it further into the ground.  But the schedule ain't changing, that's for sure... unless someone buys out of any of those games, and we know that's NOT going to be UNT, because our Athletic Department is not wealthy enough to do so.

Who knows if the replacement would be good at opening up the wallets of big-money donors... if we even have any more?   That along with drumming up more support (re: marketing) would be the major measuring sticks for anyone new.

Is the Devil you know better than the Devil you don't?

I agree here. RV is merely a symptom of the illness. Unless/until the BOR advocates making winning in revenue athletics a primary goal, the AD here is just going to be doing their bidding. The problem is, though, that it makes people like us, guys who like football and basketball, have to make a decision. We either follow and help fund the program because they are ours or we leave. For most of us gmg.com, its obvious we have chosen the former, but the other 98% of UNT alumni rather clearly chose the latter, whether its because they just don't care about UNT sports, they don't feel like the university itself cares about UNT sports beyond just having a program, or they just feel like following a front-runner P5 giant as a t-shirt fan. You can easily argue that we never even gave those fans a chance to care about UNT sports, too, and I won't argue that point, either.

That's the only choice you get with UNT athletics. And I get it--the alumni for decades here had a community college experience, commuting from the DFW area and going back home after classes were done or leaving Denton on the weekends if you lived here. All we cared about was cheap tuition. Today's UNT  studentexperience is very different from most of ours, which is a good thing, in terms of cultivating students into fans with school pride, so that gives the program some hope going forward. But the leadership's views, alumni view, and the local citizenry's views of UNT sports will always provide a hurdle to this newer generation until they can gain control thru funding and attendance, assuming they want to be different from the other generations that have walked thru Denton in the decades before today.

• Upvote 3

Just win. I don't care about the other things. Win games, win your alum back and win to keep current students and recent grads interested. After constructing a winning program, let the chips fall where they may. RV has proven through a decade and a half that he can't make winning head coaching hires. That falls directly on his shoulders and for that (alone) he should be shown the door immediately followinig the 2015-16 basketball season. 

• Upvote 4

Just win. I don't care about the other things. Win games, win your alum back and win to keep current students and recent grads interested. After constructing a winning program, let the chips fall where they may. RV has proven through a decade and a half that he can't make winning head coaching hires. That falls directly on his shoulders and for that (alone) he should be shown the door immediately followinig the 2015-16 basketball season.

Ben, here's the issue about just winning. Since 1970, as a FBS/Division 1-A program, we have had two stretches where we had a winning program. The Fry Years from 1975-1978 and the Dickey Years in the SBC from 2002-2004. You got to watch a very rare UNT winning season in 2013. That's it... 8 winning seasons... in 33 years. Even if you include 1-aa, we made the playoffs in that level four times in 12 years, only to lose each time in the first round--because the unviersity wouldn't offer to play a home playoff game when it was offered. We had to go to play at Nevada, Marshall, ULM (which was a powerhouse back then in 1-aa as Northeast Louisiana), and Boise State.

Just win--hell, I'd take "just care" at this point.

• Upvote 1

We are not in a conference vs power teams. We play programs that are our financial peers and we play with better facilities, a top end CUSA budget, a fertile recruiting region, large enrollment, a damn good student section and a coach that has shown flashes of winning throughout his career. There should be absolutely 0 excuses aa to why we cannot field a winning team simply more than we field a losing one. An increase in the student fee would be ideal and needs to happen in the near future, sure. We do need an AD that can pickpocket and market at a much better rate, sure. We need Mac to quit his old school approach to the game, sure. There is room for improvement in many facets, BUT there is a good foundation in place to take off from. Creating excuses for failures from us that haven't taken place yet is BS. I expect at minimum a 6-6 record and a bowl game somewhere. A result anything less is BS. Just win. 

• Upvote 1

Ben, here's the issue about just winning. Since 1970, as a FBS/Division 1-A program, we have had two stretches where we had a winning program. The Fry Years from 1975-1978 and the Dickey Years in the SBC from 2002-2004. You got to watch a very rare UNT winning season in 2013. That's it... 8 winning seasons... in 33 years. Even if you include 1-aa, we made the playoffs in that level four times in 12 years, only to lose each time in the first round--because the unviersity wouldn't offer to play a home playoff game when it was offered. We had to go to play at Nevada, Marshall, ULM (which was a powerhouse back then in 1-aa as Northeast Louisiana), and Boise State.

Just win--hell, I'd take "just care" at this point.

Yeah, those numbers are rough.  But, we are setting ourselves up for failure when we have seven total road games and two money games in a season. (And it's not like this is an anomaly in our FBS history.) You just can't allow that to happen when you play in a decent conference with some tough opponents.  There are P5 teams out there that would be winless on the road against Iowa, Tennessee, Marshall, and Louisiana Tech next season.  

At some point we have got to make the decision to lose money in the short term to build a fan base and, well, a respected program for the long haul.  If we keep on taking the quick, safe paycheck, then we are mortgaging our future and losing money in the end.

I doubt the blame falls squarely on any one person.  It could be that a more dynamic AD could have pulled off some better moves and/or successfully managed already existing contracts.  I also suspect that there are some stewards of the UNT system out there who would go independent and play 12 money games a year, if they had their druthers.

• Upvote 2

You are exactly right about everything you just posted. But ask yourself these questions, not answered as they should be but as they will be:

After all you know about Dan McCarney, do you think Mac is going to stop his old school offensive approach to football this fall? Do you think 6 wins is even possible with this schedule, especially with our offensive style and a QB that hands off and throws passes two yards beyond the LOS on 98% of the time? Do you think RV is going to be fired at the end of the 2015-2016 basketball season?

Yeah, those numbers are rough.  But, we are setting ourselves up for failure when we have seven total road games and two money games in a season. (And it's not like this is an anomaly in our FBS history.) You just can't allow that to happen when you play in a decent conference with some tough opponents.  There are P5 teams out there that would be winless on the road against Iowa, Tennessee, Marshall, and Louisiana Tech next season.  

At some point we have got to make the decision to lose money in the short term to build a fan base and, well, a respected program for the long haul.  If we keep on taking the quick, safe paycheck, then we are mortgaging our future and losing money in the end.

I doubt the blame falls squarely on any one person.  It could be that a more dynamic AD could have pulled off some better moves and/or successfully managed already existing contracts.  I also suspect that there are some stewards of the UNT system out there who would go independent and play 12 money games a year, if they had their druthers.

This is what i mean by "just care"...look, just once, at the idea of opportunity costs instead of known costs.

• Upvote 1

You are exactly right about everything you just posted. But ask yourself these questions, not answered as they should be but as they will be:

After all you know about Dan McCarney, do you think Mac is going to stop his old school offensive approach to football this fall? Do you think 6 wins is even possible with this schedule, especially with our offensive style and a QB that hands off and throws passes two yards beyond the LOS on 98% of the time? Do you think RV is going to be fired at the end of the 2015-2016 basketball season?

This is what i mean by "just care"...look, just once, at the idea of opportunity costs instead of known costs.

That is why the AD needs to be thanked for his involvement and kindly shown the door. Mac will change or he will eventually be gone and he knows that. Mac might be hard headed, but he's not flat out dumb. Patterson saw the need for change as I think Mac is finally starting to see it himself. I think 6 wins is doable, yes. Andrew McNulty can't play meaningful snaps in any one game for that to happen though. I am in the minority that believes D Smith is going to rip the starting job away from AM in fall camp. 

• Upvote 2

And this is why UNT will always be who they are. 

And also why UNT will continue to turn zero heads of disaffected alumni. 

Please put on your AD cap and share with the group what you want done differently.  You do an excellent job of telling all that's wrong, I'm curious to hear what success looks like to you.  I'm not talking about 6 home games with OU coming to Apogee; I'm talking about how you'd go about getting us there.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Please put on your AD cap and share with the group what you want done differently.  You do an excellent job of telling all that's wrong, I'm curious to hear what success looks like to you.  I'm not talking about 6 home games with OU coming to Apogee; I'm talking about how you'd go about getting us there.

I'll take a stab at this:

1.) In the pre-Fouts days, just like Todd Dodge did when he was coaching here, if I were the AD, during every single press conference or interview, I would've talked about a future stadium being in the plans/drawings of the BOR and that they have promised to build one. It may have been the single best thing Todd Dodge did for our university, basically talking up the fact that he was promised a new stadium.

2.) I would have fired Tony Benford after this past season, just as I would have fired Todd Dodge after his third year. After firing the coaches, I'd have announced it to the press first, then gotten the BOR to sign off on it, not the other way around. If they threw up a fight, I'd go and "apologize" publically for getting out of line with the BOR's budget constraints, forcing them to have to let others know for certain that the budget is all that matters here. When the few big monied donors here cut bait because they finally realize that the BOR doesn't care about winning, maybe the message gets across to them to start caring or drop the ruse of having a FBS program.

3.) I would never schedule a bodybag game against anyone south of the Mason-Dixon line--only against B1G teams, Pac teams, or northern ACC/Big XII school. Losing to them doesn't give your students and alumni the embarrassment of losing to your neighbors, relatives, and co-workers from UT, OU, A&M, LSU, Arkansas, etc.., nor does it make easier for your fans to abandon you to become t-shirt fans of these other schools, as if they needed any more fans or financial support.

4.) I would never schedule an FCS opponent at home in Apogee. If it means we play five home games in some seasons, so be it.I work to give the fans at least a decent OOC opponent at home every year, maybe even two, but never a 6 game home schedule with Portland State, Incarnate Word, or Abilene Christian.

5.) I go to T. Boone Pickens and talk about a series against Okie State, even if its a 3 for 2, just to get a regionalized P5 team here--we will play them here on the years they play in Ft Worth to give them a game in the Metroplex every year.

6.) I call BYU and get a home-and-home series going with them in the future.

That's a start...

• Upvote 3

I'll take a stab at this:

1.) In the pre-Fouts days, just like Todd Dodge did when he was coaching here, if I were the AD, during every single press conference or interview, I would've talked about a future stadium being in the plans/drawings of the BOR and that they have promised to build one. It may have been the single best thing Todd Dodge did for our university, basically talking up the fact that he was promised a new stadium.

2.) I would have fired Tony Benford after this past season, just as I would have fired Todd Dodge after his third year. After firing the coaches, I'd have announced it to the press first, then gotten the BOR to sign off on it, not the other way around. If they threw up a fight, I'd go and "apologize" publically for getting out of line with the BOR's budget constraints, forcing them to have to let others know for certain that the budget is all that matters here. When the few big monied donors here cut bait because they finally realize that the BOR doesn't care about winning, maybe the message gets across to them to start caring or drop the ruse of having a FBS program.

3.) I would never schedule a bodybag game against anyone south of the Mason-Dixon line--only against B1G teams, Pac teams, or northern ACC/Big XII school. Losing to them doesn't give your students and alumni the embarrassment of losing to your neighbors, relatives, and co-workers from UT, OU, A&M, LSU, Arkansas, etc.., nor does it make easier for your fans to abandon you to become t-shirt fans of these other schools, as if they needed any more fans or financial support.

4.) I would never schedule an FCS opponent at home in Apogee. If it means we play five home games in some seasons, so be it.I work to give the fans at least a decent OOC opponent at home every year, maybe even two, but never a 6 game home schedule with Portland State, Incarnate Word, or Abilene Christian.

5.) I go to T. Boone Pickens and talk about a series against Okie State, even if its a 3 for 2, just to get a regionalized P5 team here--we will play them here on the years they play in Ft Worth to give them a game in the Metroplex every year.

6.) I call BYU and get a home-and-home series going with them in the future.

That's a start...

I like this hypothetical.  Let's keep this going.  I'll take a stab at some of the most-likely responses:

1.  I'm actually not sure what the heck you're talking about here... Are you saying we need a new stadium or something?  I think you're trying to say you'd be putting pressure on the BOR (and you likely also mean the University President) for stuff you want.
2.  Now I KNOW you're trying to put pressure on the BOR for stuff you want.   You must not like job security much, huh?  I bet if you were really in this situation, this would be the last thing you would actually do... because, you know, having a job is nicer than not having one.
3.  This all sounds great, but good luck in scheduling those teams.  They usually like to play teams that are around them, just like UT/OU/LSU/whoever else we've been contracting to play.
4.  You'd have a pissed-off McCarney then.  And likely 1-less win per year.  McCarney has made it clear he prefers having the FCS on the schedule if we're going to have a paycheck game.
5.  You're not getting through to Boone Pickens.  Why would you call him?  Do you mean you want to call OSU's Athletic Director?
6.  And when they say "no" (which is most-likely)... then?

• Upvote 5

well, if I was an aspiring AD candidate, I'm sure I'd be happy to give you some answers. I'm not.

But guess what. It's easy to see that what this AD has done isn't and hasn't worked. That doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. 

There is a guy at Arkansas St. That gets it pretty good and has done a great job lifting that program past UNT even though he faces SIGNIFICANTLY greater challenges than RV faces at UNT.

But, hey, he is nice to you and you can talk to him at any time, so you think he is great. I guess I get it somewhat.

Just don't expect anything more than winning football seasons 20% of the time and half (or less) full football stadiums for your money.

you are obviously fine with that. I'm not. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I'll go...

If I was RV I would immediately resign and apologize to the UNT faithful. If there were restrictions on my job (which I am sure there are) I would spill the beans to make life easier for the new AD. I would then return to baking pizza because I am apparently far better at that than AD'ing a D1 athletic program. 

If I were the new AD there is a laundry list of mishaps scattered throughout the entire athletic program that needs fixing. My first priority is win over the community and the students through every means necessary. I would spend night and day making damn sure the Denton community thinks highly of UNT and UNT athletics.That would be my emphasis at the beginning. 

Go back and read RV's initial comments/ideas.  He was as optimistic as most.  He came from another mid major program who was used to getting things done.  He clearly thought the same things could be done here.  His tone slowly changed as he consistently ran into brick walls.  Now he has just become complacent while he tries to ride out the string.

• Upvote 3

Go back and read RV's initial comments/ideas.  He was as optimistic as most.  He came from another mid major program who was used to getting things done.  He clearly thought the same things could be done here.  His tone slowly changed as he consistently ran into brick walls.  Now he has just become complacent while he tries to ride out the string.

This is what I fear is happening to Dan Mccarney, too. He got here, full of optimism and motivation. But as time has gone on, and once the realities of our situation have hit hard, his positivity has turned into a combo of begging for help from fans/negativity about recruiting here. He, too, may very well just take a paycheck for the next few years and call it quits with quite a retirement.

This is what I fear is happening to Dan Mccarney, too. He got here, full of optimism and motivation. But as time has gone on, and once the realities of our situation have hit hard, his positivity has turned into a combo of begging for help from fans/negativity about recruiting here. He, too, may very well just take a paycheck for the next few years and call it quits with quite a retirement.

I think that's BS. UNT isn't beating the brakes off of our peers in recruiting. We aren't getting our faces smashed in recruiting by our CUSA peers either. We have recruited middle of the pack in regards to CUSA since Mac has been here. That alone SHOULD make us at least competitive during CUSA play. We should be recruiting in the top third of CUSA given our overall athletic budget and geographic location, but we're not and that does lay at McCarney's feet. However, I don't think he has the ammunition to bitch at us/alum/fans about the results of his recruiting classes. If he is unhappy about current issues within the athletic administration or university administration he needs to publicly scold the ones that are hindering the program. Because like many have said, he's not going anywhere. Publicly hold them accountable and "them" are not the fans like he for some reason likes to portray. 

• Upvote 2

Tell that to our student-athletes.  I seriously doubt any one of them is accepting of athletic failure.  Seems you transpose success, or lack thereof, on the football field and in men's basketball to every other program in the athletic department.   

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Tell that to our student-athletes.  I seriously doubt any one of them is accepting of athletic failure.  Seems you transpose success, or lack thereof, on the football field and in men's basketball to every other program in the athletic department.   

The student-athletes aren't accepting failure...the BOR and the AD are. The student-athletes that represent North Texas do so for the love of their sport and the opportunity to have their education paid for in some fashion. But when the coaches fail at winning in revenue sports, yet they get to keep their jobs for additional seasons because of cost, that is acceptance of failure.Just in terms of the two main revenue sports,I've watched us wait to fire Vic Trilli, Darrell Dickey (after ULM loss in 2001, BOR wouldn't let RV fire him), Todd Dodge, and Tony Benford because of cost, even though they had failed miserably up to that point. Face it, if Tony Benford has another bad record this year, it won't be any different than the seasons before this one, but he will now get canned and Rob Evans will get promoted to interim coach because we are only buying out the last year of a contract.

• Upvote 4

The student-athletes aren't accepting failure...the BOR and the AD are. The student-athletes that represent North Texas do so for the love of their sport and the opportunity to have their education paid for in some fashion. But when the coaches fail at winning in revenue sports, yet they get to keep their jobs for additional seasons because of cost, that is acceptance of failure.Just in terms of the two main revenue sports,I've watched us wait to fire Vic Trilli, Darrell Dickey (after ULM loss in 2001, BOR wouldn't let RV fire him), Todd Dodge, and Tony Benford because of cost, even though they had failed miserably up to that point. Face it, if Tony Benford has another bad record this year, it won't be any different than the seasons before this one, but he will now get canned and Rob Evans will get promoted to interim coach because we are only buying out the last year of a contract.

You harp on the BOR.  You really think the BOR is actively involved in this stuff?  News flash, they are not charged with campus personnel duties other than final approvals after approval from the President on the UNT campus.  If the Prez supports the AD, he will stay.  Simple as that.  BOR looks at the overall athletics program...not just the won/loss record in men's BB and football.  BOR is not to be micro-managers  within campus departments as you seem to think they are to be. Much bigger picture for that bunch.

And, those players who come to UNT choose to play for the coach that UNT hires.  So, yep....to assume any coach or AD us accepting failure is not only being nutty but dissing our player's personal decision to play for UNT. You think any player would choose to play for a program "accepting of defeat"?  Really? Not one person...not one...player, coach, AD, staffer, etc. "accepts failure".  Ridiculous assumption on the face of it.  If you have Such a narrow view of an athletics dept that your view focuses only on men's BB and football, then your vision needs a bit of work. Now, we can all agree that t,here two programs are the "bell cows" in any D1 program, so many coach and AD fates hang on these two programs.  Understand that...but, win, lose or draw it is ridiculous to assume anyone accepts losing in any program.  Only one's around here who seem to me to be unwilling to step up to D1 greatness are the so-called fans.  Takes money folks.  But, only at North Texas do so-called supporters think a program can be consistently successful without adequate financial support and fan support.  Crazy that Apogee has seen no sellout to date.  Blame what and/or who you want, that is your privilege, but it is a partnership...neither partner can do it alone.  When Baylor's supporters donate $16,000,000 and Arkansas' can donate $24,000,000 and UNT's can't provide even $1.5 million for scholarship support that says a lot.  So, blame who you want...but win, lose or draw, the UNT so-called fan base talks the talk, but just can't seem to walk the walk. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Baylor is seeing the most success in their history. Arkansas just beat the brakes off of an old SWC rival in a prime time bowl game to end the season. Arkansas is trending upward at a very high rate of speed. They are seeing a reason to open their wallets. Their support is catapulting their athletic programs to national prominence. Of course these fan bases are giving, why the hell not? Here, you are conplaining about a humiliated fan base that has watched losing programs be the norm to give money. Your comparison is lacking in general context.

• Upvote 2

because those are the 2 that matter for the overall health of the WHOLE program. But you knew that.

It's a shame the AD and the BOR don't have 1/10 the dedication that the athletes do to being the best they possibly can be when it comes to UNT athletics. With those administrators, it's all simply about balancing the checkbook the easiest way possible.

You harp on the BOR.  You really think the BOR is actively involved in this stuff?  News flash, they are not charged with campus personnel duties other than final approvals after approval from the President on the UNT campus.  If the Prez supports the AD, he will stay.  Simple as that.  BOR looks at the overall athletics program...not just the won/loss record in men's BB and football.  BOR is not to be micro-managers  within campus departments as you seem to think they are to be. Much bigger picture for that bunch.

And, those players who come to UNT choose to play for the coach that UNT hires.  So, yep....to assume any coach or AD us accepting failure is not only being nutty but dissing our player's personal decision to play for UNT. You think any player would choose to play for a program "accepting of defeat"?  Really? Not one person...not one...player, coach, AD, staffer, etc. "accepts failure".  Ridiculous assumption on the face of it.  If you have Such a narrow view of an athletics dept that your view focuses only on men's BB and football, then your vision needs a bit of work. Now, we can all agree that t,here two programs are the "bell cows" in any D1 program, so many coach and AD fates hang on these two programs.  Understand that...but, win, lose or draw it is ridiculous to assume anyone accepts losing in any program.  Only one's around here who seem to me to be unwilling to step up to D1 greatness are the so-called fans.  Takes money folks.  But, only at North Texas do so-called supporters think a program can be consistently successful without adequate financial support and fan support.  Crazy that Apogee has seen no sellout to date.  Blame what and/or who you want, that is your privilege, but it is a partnership...neither partner can do it alone.  When Baylor's supporters donate $16,000,000 and Arkansas' can donate $24,000,000 and UNT's can't provide even $1.5 million for scholarship support that says a lot.  So, blame who you want...but win, lose or draw, the UNT so-called fan base talks the talk, but just can't seem to walk the walk. 

and how long has they AD had to change this? 14 freaking years!!!! Guess what, that is his freaking job. And he has failed miserably. Yet you always want to lay the blame at the feet of alumni who have never been given one major damn reason to get excited about UNT athletics in this AD's 14 year tenure.

No, beating a bad UNLV team in a bowl isn't major. Neither is beating a disinterested Cincinatti in our only other bowl win in the modern college football era.

Yet somehow this guy keeps his job through failure after failure. And you really expect people to flock to give their hard earned money for the shit product this AD has laid at their feet for 14 plus years? Is that really how you think it works in the real business world?

We will only have the opportunity for progress after RV retires in another 6 years, because he certainly isn't getting fired.

That has been made crystal clear to all alumni. So enjoy a flat line in MGC membership and suck ass athletics until he reaches 20.

• Upvote 1

Stop worrying about the product we're selling...just pay more for it!!!!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

because those are the 2 that matter for the overall health of the WHOLE program. But you knew that.

It's a shame the AD and the BOR don't have 1/10 the dedication that the athletes do to being the best they possibly can be when it comes to UNT athletics. With those administrators, it's all simply about balancing the checkbook the easiest way possible.

and how long has they AD had to change this? 14 freaking years!!!! Guess what, that is his freaking job. And he has failed miserably. Yet you always want to lay the blame at the feet of alumni who have never been given one major damn reason to get excited about UNT athletics in this AD's 14 year tenure.

No, beating a bad UNLV team in a bowl isn't major. Neither is beating a disinterested Cincinatti in our only other bowl win in the modern college football era.

Yet somehow this guy keeps his job through failure after failure. And you really expect people to flock to give their hard earned money for the shit product this AD has laid at their feet for 14 plus years? Is that really how you think it works in the real business world?

We will only have the opportunity for progress after RV retires in another 6 years, because he certainly isn't getting fired.

That has been made crystal clear to all alumni. So enjoy a flat line in MGC membership and suck ass athletics until he reaches 20.

Wow!

We've made it to the big time!  We beat the teams we're expected to beat (and heck, even those who we're NOT expected to beat in that Cincy team), and it's not major.  But when we lose to those teams 'beneath' us, the sky is falling!   We're practically a SEC school!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Wow!
We've made it to the big time!  We beat the teams we're expected to beat (and heck, even those who we're NOT expected to beat in that Cincy team), and it's not major.  But when we lose to those teams 'beneath' us, the sky is falling!   We're practically a SEC school!

:mellow:

• Upvote 1

Wow!

Are you happy with where we are as an AD?

• Upvote 1