Cost of Attendance Numbers

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2015/06/a-look-at-the-financial-impact-of-additional-benefits-texas-colleges-will-be-able-to-provide-scholarship-athletes/#33649101=11

Baylor $3,882

TCU $4,700

Texas $4,310

Texas Tech $5,100

Texas A&M $2,706

Houston $2,994

SMU $2,700

UTEP $3,100

UTSA $2,500 (Projected)

Rice (TBD)

North Texas (Unavailable)

• Upvote 1

1) I can't believe it costs more to live in Lubbock than it does Austin.   This has to be some sort of over payment to make up for having to live in Lubbock.  This is going to kick off an arms race.

2) I can't believe the photo they picked for North Texas is of Ja'Mel Branch and George Marshall. 

• Upvote 2

1) I can't believe it costs more to live in Lubbock than it does Austin.   This has to be some sort of over payment to make up for having to live in Lubbock.  This is going to kick off an arms race.

​Need gas money to go out to buy beer.

• Upvote 1

Is there any formula for a cap on this?  Like if SMU were to decide that the cost of tuition attendance included a diamond encrusted stretch Rolls Royce with in-vehicle hot tub and 5 amphibious hookers, could they do that or would the NCAA say that's to exorbitant?

Edited by oldguystudent
syntax is everything

I am no fan of this cost of attendance arms race. I too think it is terrible for college sports. But if we are planning on competing in this new era of college football, I think it is smart to wait and announce our price last. We need to be certain our price is competitive with the other Texas universities we recruit against. I want to know what UTSA and Texas State are going to offer before we decide.

• Upvote 3

Is there any formula for a cap on this?  Like if SMU were to decide that the cost of tuition attendance included a diamond encrusted stretch Rolls Royce with in-vehicle hot tub and 5 amphibious hookers, could they do that or would the NCAA say that's to exorbitant?

The school financial aid office calculates based on Federal guidelines but they aren't super explicit. The risk for schools going to the high end is the NCAA determines that they were overly generous and gave impermissible aid in doing so. Quick way to rack up 200+ violations per semester.

AState backed its number down to $4k. The highest permissible per our financial aid office was $5300 but the school opted for the lower number so the amount paid would be uniform between in-state and out-of-state students.

• Upvote 1