Mark Cuban- College Bball Hurting the NBA

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/12650607/dallas-mavericks-owner-mark-cuban-says-horrible-state-college-basketball-hurting-nba

"You've got three kids passing on the perimeter. With 10 seconds on the shot clock, they try to make something happen and two other kids stand around. They don't look for anything and then run back on defense, so there's no transition game because two out of five or three out of five or in some cases four out of five kids aren't involved in the play.

"It's uglier than ugly, and it's evidenced by the scoring going down. When the NBA went through that, we changed things."

He speaks the truth. The college game needs to make some serious changes because outside the NCAA tournament it's unwatchable.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Like allowing players to take 4 steps to the basket? Like implementing the star system when it comes to calling fouls?

I think the last time I watched an NBA game was when the Mavs won the title. And I only watched one of the Championship series games. And I did that out of a sense of responsibility.

If you want to be entertained by athleticism, by all means watch the NBA. If you want to watch basketball, watch college basketball.

The NBA isn't basketball, it's entertainment. It's the WWE as compared to college basketball being the UFC.

As far as Cuban's comments, they come on the heels of a HUGELY successful NCAA tournament. A tournament where a senior heavy team beat the NBA farm team in the semis. And this is played while the NBA is wrapping up their regular season (see: ratings competition). I sense just a bit of jealous from the Cubes.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 4

The sport has already been publicly discussing it has a problem and wants to fix it, but now that noted coach firing expert and honorary athletic administrator UNT90 has weighed in without watching an evolving NBA game for nearly half a decade, let's see what actual college coaches trying out small tweaks during the NIT had to say about the need for change:

“I’d like to see it implemented,” said Stanford Coach Johnny Dawkins, whose team is averaging 74 points per game in the tournament after its 67-60 victory over Old Dominion on Tuesday, nearly 2 more points than it averaged in the regular season. “There are some other things we want to continue to make it better that we’d probably have to do, but it’s a good first step toward speeding play up slightly,” he said.

Old Dominion Coach Jeff Jones does not disagree with a permanent change to a 30-second shot clock, but he argued that there are other changes that would be needed to supplement the overhaul, such as widening the lane.

Temple Coach Fran Dunphy, who built Pennsylvania into an Ivy League power during the 1990s — often with a slower, more meticulous offense — said college basketball was headed toward a faster pace of play.

“I’m glad the N.I.T. implemented it,” Dunphy said. “I think we’re going to see a 30-second shot clock very soon, if not next year. I think everyone wants to see more scoring.”

Larranaga also advocated extending the 3-point line from 20 feet 9 inches.

“I’d like to see them widen the lane, extend the 3-point circle,” he said. “We have too many players out there who are not great shooters who want to shoot 3s.”

There's also an admission that it can't just model the NBA game because the talent isn't there, but not sure how you decided Cubes was jealous out of this one. The NBA is arguably in the best financial and growth position of any league in America and have been working pretty hard to fix a lot of those issues that angered a lot of people that you mentioned to begin with. I also think I saw Duke players getting calls and even taking extra steps on breakaways, but then again, I watch both leagues. I also cannot imagine how someone can reject things like watching SA, ATL and GS play offense or Brad Stevens calling plays out of a TO in exchange for watching another second of Michigan State or Wisconsin on just a purely aesthetic level, so maybe we're just destined to disagree here.

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I much prefer the NCAA to the NBA. The only rule change I could go for would be a 30 second shot clock - and that's mostly because the women already have it. Unlike the folks calling for extending the 3 point line...I simply think it's gonna inspire more kids to jack up long ass shots. I think moving it to the current 20'9 was probably perfect a few years ago...attempts and makes both are slightly down from 19'9 (IIRC), but obviously it's not too different. Extending it is just asking for kids to start jacking them up...and that would be unwatchable.

And because I don't much agree with extending the arc...widening the lane doesn't make a whole lot of sense either.

• Upvote 1

I'm glad to see Quoner finally acknowledge my expertise.

About F'n time...

Sports aren't as fun to argue as politics, but I tried to switch it up a bit. I'm also possibly reporting you for saying F'n.

• Upvote 1

Sports aren't as fun to argue as politics, but I tried to switch it up a bit. I'm also possibly reporting you for saying F'n.

What's wrong with abbreviating finally? As you have pointed out on multiple occasions, I'm not good at the grammar.

What's wrong with abbreviating finally? As you have pointed out on multiple occasions, I'm not good at the grammar.

Andrew Harrison thinks you're just being straight lazy.

To me the NBA is like professional wrestling. It is predictable, boring, and big on "showmanship".

If the NBA is boring what would you call college basketball??? And college basketball is about as predictable the NBA.

I forgot how many sensitive college basketball fans we have in this forum...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm with Jay Bilas. Adopt the international rules and go from there. The players already play with the international rules in the offseason.

Yes the tourney was successful, but the refs were awful.

The game is too slow.

The college game could use a face lift. It would just make the product that much better.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

his opinion needed more symmetrical trees and light poles.

You're a clown. Everything you say on here is a mock torwards other people. Why do you even waste your time or energy? Real question.

I look forward to meeting a few people on here just to see if they are as condescending in person as compared to on here. My bet is not even remotely close... My bet is I will never even meet the clowns that are on here. They will just roam GMG forums looking for someone or something to mock.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

I look forward to meeting a few people on here just to see if they are as condescending in person as compared to on here. My bet is not even remotely close... My bet is I will never even meet the clowns that are on here. They will just roam GMG forums looking for someone or something to mock.

I know you think you know what the internet is, but I don't believe you really know how it works.

Just one more thought: this board is pretty amazing and pleasant when there is intelligent bball talk being thrown around. That's been really hard to come by the last 3 or so years; you know, about the same time a certain coach was hired. There were times when we could look forward to Peach Basket pods and a routine GMG.com visit did not mean sorting through UNT90 and KRAM baggage.

• Upvote 3

I know you think you know what the internet is, but I don't believe you really know how it works.

Just one more thought: this board is pretty amazing and pleasant when there is intelligent bball talk being thrown around. That's been really hard to come by the last 3 or so years; you know, about the same time a certain coach was hired. There were times when we could look forward to Peach Basket pods and a routine GMG.com visit did not mean sorting through UNT90 and KRAM baggage.

It could use a bit more civility though. I'm sure we run people off and we don't really need that. Well, ok some people leaving isn't all bad, but you get my point.

Or, jackassery from the nerds. And, of course, the t-shirt fans of other schools. Gig 'Em! Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Back in those days I was a civil poster. Back before I realized we scheduled like a 1 year old trying to color. Back before we made a terrible basketball hire, and instead of fixing it blame kids publicly in order to make the ADs life a little easier.

Back before the AD was asked directly on 3 separate occasions if we would have 5 home games in 2015, only to refuse to answer the question EVERY time, and never answering the question, just releasing a schedule with 5 home games. And then sending out your head coach to make the first comments instead of handling it himself.

Wait... What were we talking about??

It's common knowledge that we are doing a bad job at scheduling. The man is bad at some very important aspects of his job. What do we do about it...or better question is what can we do about it... Unfortunately, at this university, the answer is nothing to both. We have administrators, when it comes to athletics, that don't care and our piss poor records in everything across the board are proof to that. The man DIRECTLY responsible for said pitiful records hasn't had his feet held to the fire not one time to my knowledge... He's just here collecting his 250k check every year and truth be told he is probably just as shocked as some of us are that he hasn't been ran off yet. It's bad, really bad.

Edited by Ben Gooding