MGB: Saturday scrimmage notes

Brett Vito

You also have to factor in that we are replacing a D Coordinator while those other teams aren't. So while we do have talent to help replace those key guys we will also be learning a new system. Your going to be asking guys to do new things at game speed and that can be difficult for a guy who hasnt gotten a lot of game reps.

what about a team like iowa who currently has a defense this spring with a fresh at olb, RSfr at MLB, So at WLB...tackles are So and RSFr...

but since they are Iowa, they will find a way to get it done i guess.

so based on those reasons, you expect a similar fall off on defense from our opponents. Rice has the same issues and turnover on defense. So Miss and UTSA also.

i agree about 2016. i think offense and defense will have a lot of talent returning.

Rice has recruited well. They also have players like Graysen Schantz and Ryan Pollard who were fairly highly recruited and have experience. Plus, like Greg said, they have the same coordinator. They could take a step back too, but them taking a step back and us taking a step back would not necessarily put us on equal terms.

As for Southern Miss, I don't know as much about them but I know they beat us at Apogee, they return their QB who now has a full season and a half of starting experience and most of their skill players, and we're playing them on the road where we were 0-6 last year. Hopefully we can beat UTSA, I think they made a good pickup (I'm a little biased) in my high school QB, and we're 0-2 against them. That being said, UTSA might be our 2nd or 3rd most winnable game of the year.

Our defense really wasn't that bad overall last season. There were just some specific things we were really bad at, including getting baited by the play action, reacting to the wrong gap, etc. But we held firm in other aspects.

In CUSA, we were nearly tops defensively overall. In all of Div 1, we were top 50 in total defense.

That is a good baseline to improve upon for 2015.

Our defense really wasn't that bad overall last season. There were just some specific things we were really bad at, including getting baited by the play action, reacting to the wrong gap, etc. But we held firm in other aspects.

In CUSA, we were nearly tops defensively overall. In all of Div 1, we were top 50 in total defense.

The Nichols and SMU games padded the stats just a bit…..

ok I wanted to type more but the ad for Russian brides at the top of the page is very distracting…. going to explore further.

If our defense does what you are predicting (take a step back) we'll go 1-11. Our D was not a very good D, granted our O help expose them but still not a good D.

We lost our only linebacker who had more than 40 tackles, our two most complete 3-down d-linemen in Mason and Lincoln, and 3/4ths of our secondary. We don't have a single player, except maybe Anthony Wallace, entering this year who was both highly recruited and experienced, and we have a new coordinator. Objectively speaking, I think we're more likely to take a step back this year and start seeing the improvement in 2016 when guys like T Johnson, Combs, Moore, Finney, Grindle, Gray, McClain, and Davis have starting experience under their belt.

The Mean Green Nation where excuses for losing start early and often.

seems like the UNT fans are worse than the opponent when it comes to UNT football. at least wait for a reason to not believe.

we have a new defensive co ordinator...ok good, then SMU is breaking in a new offense and co ordinator too. we also beat the brakes off them last year. do we have a shot at beating SMU?

i wonder why some fans come on here.

everybody we play will get better and fill in holes, but UNT younger players wont get stronger, smarter, better. they will pick up from where they left off last year.

why even follow the team?

Edited by GOMG2013
  • Upvote 1

We lost our only linebacker who had more than 40 tackles, our two most complete 3-down d-linemen in Mason and Lincoln, and 3/4ths of our secondary. We don't have a single player, except maybe Anthony Wallace, entering this year who was both highly recruited and experienced, and we have a new coordinator. Objectively speaking, I think we're more likely to take a step back this year and start seeing the improvement in 2016 when guys like T Johnson, Combs, Moore, Finney, Grindle, Gray, McClain, and Davis have starting experience under their belt.

lincoln and mason were hurt most of the year. we lost them last year. Lee too. akunne and jjones are the only legit big losses.

• Upvote 1

lincoln and mason were hurt most of the year. we lost them last year. Lee too. akunne and jjones are the only legit big losses.

Mason played 8 games, including starting every conference game and Lincoln didn't go down until game 10. But it is good that other players got experience when they were out. We didn't lose a lot of players, more of a quality over quantity loss. Like I've said before, we don't have a player with the combination of experience and being highly recruited that our all-CUSA players had the past two years. I'm wondering who will step up and be our all-CUSA players.

The Nichols and SMU games padded the stats just a bit…..

ok I wanted to type more but the ad for Russian brides at the top of the page is very distracting…. going to explore further.

should probably warn you that many banner ads are populated on the screen based off of your search history. This reminds me of when someone was complaining about seeing SMU ads in our banner space but the reason they were showing was a due to his search history.

should probably warn you that many banner ads are populated on the screen based off of your search history. This reminds me of when someone was complaining about seeing SMU ads in our banner space but the reason they were showing was a due to his search history.

It seems that these "dating service" ads are about the only ads to appear when you start using a new browser, or you clear your cache / cookies. Then as time goes on, you start to get different ads. But... the dating ads don't seem to completely go away.

It seems that these "dating service" ads are about the only ads to appear when you start using a new browser, or you clear your cache / cookies. Then as time goes on, you start to get different ads. But... the dating ads don't seem to completely go away.

Yeah I don't see them. Rather see them than Tax Sites and Shoe Stores

From the comments I've read/heard, Cosh's defensive style is not much of a departure from Skladany's, so hopefully the defensive transition is not too difficult.

i heard the defense is much easier to understand and some of the comments support it.

we do have unproven guys and will be depending on jucos. those are valid reasons for concern.

one positive spin to put on it is james jones. we havent had a lot of success with jucos, but the one who was able to immediately come in and make an impact as a solid starter was james jones, the juco that was being recruited by other schools.

we have a few jucos that could give us james jones results and could make an impact immediately. if they dont, then we are screwed.

i am going to assume james jones type production until i get a reason not to.

The eyes that I used to watch the UTEP game disagree with you.

The eyes that I used to watch the UTEP game disagree with you.

And we all know eyes don't lie. Just ask all the folks sent to prison because of "eye witness" testimony who were subsequently released. They are big on this "the eyes I used" thing. Some here even saw Dajon play and think their eyes saw a player who should now be starting in the QB spot. Yep...the "eyes" have it!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

How dare you sir!!!! I have never in my life searched for Russian brides on my computer. Korean, Thai and Japanese, maybe, but never Russian.