What to do with UAB's situation?

Harry

It's easier to recruit baseball in terms of sheer numbers. It's easier to hide flaws in baseball. It's easier to hang around a good team even if you're a mediocre team. The amount of parity in baseball is unmatched. With that said, add a baseball, don't add a baseball, but strive to be great in one thing. I would like to see a shift in commitment to hone in on something specific. Be great at something. Carve your niche and stand in it.

There are supporters who will back baseball before any other sport. I don't know how many and to what extent but I believe that baseball will begin happening in the next couple of years if the economy hasn't killed us.

We may have the lowest number of men's sports in the FBS. We have football, basketball, the running sports (indoor and outdoor track and field, cross country) and golf. Outside of football, that's about 30 men on scholarship. Wouldn't help a lot when being considered by a higher-profile conference.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

I'm not entirely certain, but I think you may have dreamt it. My point in all of this is I just wish that the athletic department would make a conscious commitment to ONE sport. RV (or preferably our new AD) would receive a lot of backlash for this and maybe even rightfully so, but North Texas needs to solidify themselves in something. Being mediocre is something I personally can't fathom for an extended period of time and that is unfortunately where our needle stops on everything. We need a time of the year that rolls around and the North Texas faithful get pumped up because "our" season is beginning to start, similar to UK in basketball. And for the pessimists on here I'm obviously not trying to compare us to UK, just generalizing. It's just something to seriously consider and hopefully there are some big wigs that will read this. At the exact current pace North Texas will be what North Texas has always been. Why stop and settle for that nonsense...