Tony Benford

untjim1995

Not probably, and check denton county jail records. 2014 not a good year for alzee

What you don't seem to get is that the players didn't respect Benford because he was a horrible basketball coach.

What you also follow along with RV in doing is saying there were cancers without naming them. For a guy that claims he goes to games to "support the kids," you should get that when you make these kind of cryptic statements, you put into question the character of EVERY kid on that team. Every last one of them. Just like RV has done on multiple occasions.

Stop it. You should of held your coach responsible for getting the most out of his players, or at least as much as the previous coach. You didn't. Neither did your AD. Instead he blames kids and apparently got you on board with that train of thought. That's really discouraging.

• Upvote 2

JJ took that team to the Sun Belt Conference championship game the year before. The starting lineup from that run came back fully intact for Benford, heading into the 2012-2013 season. And also Chris Jones and Jordan Williams were eligible again.

We may not know how JJ would've done with that team in 2013. But we know how he did with that team in 2012, and it was a run to the conference championship game. Not 12-20.

Benford is doing much better. But all this blaming the players crap is, and will always be ridiculous. Saying we don't know how JJ would've done with that group isn't much better. We don't, but we kind've do, considering the group he had the year before we're almost all back heading into that 20-loss season.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3

JJ took that team to the Sun Belt Conference championship game the year before. The starting lineup from that run came back fully intact for Benford, heading into the 2012-2013 season. And also Chris Jones and Jordan Williams were eligible again.

We may not know how JJ would've done with that team in 2013. But we know how he did with that team in 2012, and it was a run to the conference championship game. Not 12-20.

Benford is doing much better. But all this blaming the players crap is, and will always be ridiculous. Saying we don't know how JJ would've done with that group isn't much better. We don't, but we kind've do, considering the group he had the year before we're almost all back heading into that 20-loss season.

It's the party line that anyone who has direct contact with RV puts out there, and it is completely ridiculous. At just about any other program, this kinda crap alone would have cost RV his job, much less everything else that has been FUBARed the last 3 years.

But we are UNT.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Not probably, and check denton county jail records. 2014 not a good year for alzee

Just stop feeding the trolls. Their minds are made up and the truth just is too much for them to even try to comprehend and for some, revisionist history fits very nicely. Just stop. They can argue with themselves from afar as we never see them at the Super Oit anyway.

Just let it go. Is it really worth trying?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Just stop feeding the trolls. Their minds are made up and the truth just is too much for them to even try to comprehend and for some, revisionist history fits very nicely. Just stop. They can argue with themselves from afar as we never see them at the Super Oit anyway.

What does the actual, non revisionist, history have to say about Alzee leading the team in minutes played?

If he was really the kind of cancerous individual that is being portrayed, why did Benford allow him to come back?

Truth is, whatever you may think about Alzee's trouble with the law, it has next to nothing to do with his play or total team chemistry. PLENTY of examples out there of guys who were not choir boys but still good teammates.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What does the actual, non revisionist, history have to say about Alzee leading the team in minutes played?

If he was really the kind of cancerous individual that is being portrayed, why did Benford allow him to come back?

Truth is, whatever you may think about Alzee's trouble with the law, it has next to nothing to do with his play or total team chemistry. PLENTY of examples out there of guys who were not choir boys but still good teammates.

Yep, it's just a narrative to make Benford, and by Proxy RV, not responsible.

RV is a really good guy, you see.

• Downvote 1

Yep, and i live in a world where everything is exactly what it seems. It was the most talented team we ever had, just loaded. There were absolutely no off court distractions, such as the new coach imposing new rules and enforcing them. Your right, the coach tried to over control those players, i mean, who needs rules, like wearing t shirts that had an acronym about accountability, and going to class, and no smoking pot.

Fact, for whatever reason we were not good, and did not play good basketball. Coaching, playing, nothing was good. Wife and i took a big kick in the nuts by making a trip to manhattan, kansas. I have watched it all from the same seat, every home game. Last year was the first time i missed the conference tourney since we hosted it in denton. I have been to practice. I do not need rick villareal or ernie kuehne to tell me what "company line" to tow. I have seen it all myself.

But none of that matters now, because this team is better than that team. And next year, with what is coming back, we will be loaded. Sit at home and bitch, and when the time comes, climb back on the bandwagon, because to quote "only at north texas" will you be welcomed back with open arms.

I am sorry for some of you that you have stayed home and not watch this thing grow, but come back please, we need your butts in the seats. And that includes you john henson.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

A little surprised by your angst here Courtland as you are usually one of the more sane posters. But, you know I can totally see how you would know so much about what went on with the team on and off the court and the team chemistry being in Los Angeles and all. Yep...finger right on the pulse of the team for certain. Yep..lots of playing min. for Alzee...you are correct. That proves it right there folks and all this understanding coming to you from right around the corner Los Angeles.

I was not referring to you BTW with the revisionist comment as you are usually pretty spot on with the comments, but claiming you know much about the Chemistry of the team is a tad stretch considering where you live. Anyway...flyonthe wall nailed it when he said lots of blame to go. Around for that team...Coaching, players, pre-season hype which so many bought into ( me included), etc. sometimes it just all comes together to be a bad bad year. Trying to blame just one element like so many here want to do is just silly and shows a complete lack of understanding. Time to put that year behind us all and get back to supporting this program and team. Dwelling on the past does no program any good.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

Also does no program any good to make the same mistakes over and over again.

Agree...players now more accountable, team chemistry actually good, didn't hype the team and coaching seems to be much more solid as well. Looks like those mistakes are not being made again...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Isn't it funny that if you don't have a direct pipeline to RV, there is just no way you can no what is going on with this team?

I mean, watching two years of terrible basketball, watching a coach sub players out of a game after 1 or 2 minutes on the court on a regular basis, watching player reaction to said coach when said coach would try to talk to them on the bench, listening to the things the head coach said from two rows behind that bench, all that doesn't matter if you don't have access to RV and know the "inside scoop."

Just so North Texas.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Isn't it funny that if you don't have a direct pipeline to RV, there is just no way you can no what is going on with this team?

I mean, watching two years of terrible basketball, watching a coach sub players out of a game after 1 or 2 minutes on the court on a regular basis, watching player reaction to said coach when said coach would try to talk to them on the bench, listening to the things the head coach said from two rows behind that bench, all that doesn't matter if you don't have access to RV and know the "inside scoop."

Just so North Texas.

About as funny as those living out of state or three counties away or never even coming to games claiming they know what's going on in any way with the team or program. Now, that really is funny. My money is on Fly if it comes to betting on a horse that actually knows what he is talking about regarding this team. But, carry on supporting from afar... It provides you with such insight.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Yep, and i live in a world where everything is exactly what it seems. It was the most talented team we ever had, just loaded. There were absolutely no off court distractions, such as the new coach imposing new rules and enforcing them. Your right, the coach tried to over control those players, i mean, who needs rules, like wearing t shirts that had an acronym about accountability, and going to class, and no smoking pot.

Fact, for whatever reason we were not good, and did not play good basketball. Coaching, playing, nothing was good. Wife and i took a big kick in the nuts by making a trip to manhattan, kansas. I have watched it all from the same seat, every home game. Last year was the first time i missed the conference tourney since we hosted it in denton. I have been to practice. I do not need rick villareal or ernie kuehne to tell me what "company line" to tow. I have seen it all myself.

But none of that matters now, because this team is better than that team. And next year, with what is coming back, we will be loaded. Sit at home and bitch, and when the time comes, climb back on the bandwagon, because to quote "only at north texas" will you be welcomed back with open arms.

I am sorry for some of you that you have stayed home and not watch this thing grow, but come back please, we need your butts in the seats. And that includes you john henson.

We lose a lot to graduation this year, especially in the front court. Brice is going to take time. He will not be CUSA ready next year. I believe Reese plays here when he actually takes the floor for UNT this November. Loaded is far from the term I would use.

This late run provides hope. Whether its false hope or not, time will tell.

Just to be clear, Benford was a complete mess the first year and his key players absolutely quit on him during that season. Pretty much after the UAH loss. Most of that lies at the feet of the coach, but it takes two to tango. We seem to finally be seeing the effects of the anti Benford players being gone and the players currently here are playing as a unit and seem to be playing for their coach. To bad we had such a swing and miss in 2012, because it will be a bad memory for quite some time.

Full disclosure, the UTSA loss this year was the lowest point for me since 2012 and I was ready to see Benford gone, and still would not lose sleep over his departure. However, he is at least showing that he has some level of respect from his players and they are playing with effort. I have resigned myself to the fact he will likely be back for next season and I am willing to take a wait and see position.

On a different note:

Jones definitely took advantage of the steady improvement and hit the personal jackpot when getting the LSU gig. It has always been very curious to me that, even though Jones would have seemingly been able to take anyone off of the UNT roster with him to LSU, that John Odoh is the only one he chose to take. Not sure what it shows that he thought, if anything, of the remaining players, but I always thought it was a bit odd that he passed on most everyone.

• Upvote 1

Who cares about how we got the program to its current state. I am concerned about fixing it. If Benford can't do it then he needs to move on. If RV continues to hire coaches that bring in Benord/McCarney type records in our 2 real sports then he too needs to move on. Bitching about the past and what was and how we are what we are is pointless. What's helpful is talking about how to take a step forward. Let's talk about that...if Benford wins today he will most likely solidify a .500 record. But what good does that do? Attendance is showing a slight spike, but too little and too late. We can't wait until the latter third of the season to start playing quality basketball. All of that, all of it, falls on the coaching staff. Give Benford another year, I'm OK with that. I have seen substantial improvements and I think he MIGHT be able to pull in a 20 win season next year if all the pieces fall into place. If we are sitting next year where we currently are, fire him mid season and start the hunt for a new coach. Oh and as far as Mac goes (I know its football) if he doesn't bring home 6-6 he should hit the road. 4/5 losing seasons bodes well for no one. He must be shown the door and we're going to have to pony up the money to assure that it happens. RV keeps these losers around then he too is a loser and Prez S should immediately step in and fire all 3. Simple. Settling for mediocre BS is why the University is where its at. It starts with the fan base. GMG

So now you have to go to ALL of the games to have an opinion, and if someone is a Benford "hater", they are trolls, regardless of how long they have been a member of the board or how long they have supported the school?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A little surprised by your angst here Courtland as you are usually one of the more sane posters. But, you know I can totally see how you would know so much about what went on with the team on and off the court and the team chemistry being in Los Angeles and all. Yep...finger right on the pulse of the team for certain. Yep..lots of playing min. for Alzee...you are correct. That proves it right there folks and all this understanding coming to you from right around the corner Los Angeles.

CMJ could be posting from Uranus & I'd still consider him one of the more knowledgable UNT b-ball posters on here. Has been since I started posting on this board in 2007 (I was a lurker for years prior though).

• Upvote 4

About as funny as those living out of state or three counties away or never even coming to games claiming they know what's going on in any way with the team or program. Now, that really is funny. My money is on Fly if it comes to betting on a horse that actually knows what he is talking about regarding this team. But, carry on supporting from afar... It provides you with such insight.

Kinda going full douche there aren't you?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

CMJ could be posting from Uranus & I'd still consider him one of the more knowledugable UNT b-ball posters on here. Has been since I started posting on this board in 2007 (I was a lurker for years prior though).

And, I agree with you 100%. Howeve, that doesn't mean that from LA a great BB mind would have any first hand knowledge of the inner workings of a certain tteM's chemistry...as evidenced by his comment that because Alzee got a lot of min. That it was any indication of team chemistry. For me, Courtland is tops in BB knowledge overall, just silly that he wants to claim knowledge of the team and members fromLA. That says nothing about the respect I have for his overall BB knowledge.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

And, I agree with you 100%. Howeve that doesn't mean that from LA a great BB mind would have any first hand knowledge of the inner workings of a certain tteM's chemistry...as evidenced by his comment that because Alzee got a lot of min. That it was any indication of team chemistry. For me, Courtland is tops in BB knowledge overall, just silly that he wants to claim knowledge of the team and members fromLA. That says nothing about the respect I have for his overall BB knowledge.

Here is the " since you don't have my connections, you just don't know" tact yet again.

Problem is, the people giving you info have a vested interest in the way the program is perceived, and that interest is to avoid any responsibility for the disaster that occurred.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2