Tony Benford

untjim1995

If you think tourney wins are the only measure to compare the two, I am glad you're not involved in grading and hiring coaches.

JJ made took us to the conference final how many times, not to mention two appearances to the Big Dance. Why don't you elaborate and tell us how close you think Benford is to that, because apparently that is not a hump at all.

Or better yet, let me go over to the Kentucky board and find that thread that argues Billie Gillespie deserved a little bit more respect because he matched John Mauer's UK postseason record. I'll be right back. ;)

EDIT: here, try this instead:

Hey, I get it...you have a point, but how many conference championship games and NCAA appearances had JJ taken us to before the end of his third season?

We're you here then? I was. And, I recall we had a bunch of folks wanting JJ to go away.

A little tough to try to compare a long term record with one existing less than three seasons at this point.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Hey, I get it...you have a point, but how many conference championship games and NCAA appearances had JJ taken us to before the end of his third season?

We're you here then? I was. And, I recall we had a bunch of folks wanting JJ to go away.

A little tough to try to compare a long term record with one existing less than three seasons at this point.

KRAM1

Member Since 12 Jan 2007

Have a good weekend!

/blows kisses

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This is the biggest bullshit argument, and you know it.

JJ left this program in a PRIME position to take the next step, instead we hired a coach that so clearly couldn't that his own players didnt respect him. He took a team that had made it to the conference tournament final the year before and had additional firepower that team didnt (JWill and Chris) and ran it STRAIGHT INTO THE GROUND Even though they were the preseason selection to win conference and were heralded by YOUR OWN AD as the most talented team in UNT history.

Don't compare where JJ started to where Benford started, because they are LIGHT YEARS apart.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This is the biggest bullshit argument, and you know it.

JJ left this program in a PRIME position to take the next step, instead we hired a coach that so clearly couldn't that his own players didnt respect him. He took a team that had made it to the conference tournament final the year before and had additional firepower that team didnt (JWill and Chris) and ran it STRAIGHT INTO THE GROUND Even though they were the preseason selection to win conference and were heralded by YOUR OWN AD as the most talented team in UNT history.

Don't compare where JJ started to where Benford started, because they are LIGHT YEARS apart.

Settle down there Jethro and watch your mouth!

My point was that it is not fair to compare a coach and his full body of work to a coach in his third year. What was JJ doing after his second year and into his third? I was there and we were not winning conference championships and going to the NCAA tourney yet. And folks like you were calling for his head! Nothing to do with where the two coaches started or who they started with. If you want a lame argument, look clearly in the mirror.

Compare records after the same number of years...not toward the end of a long career when one was winning and going to championship games. You were probably not there in those early years for JJ ... If you were you probably started pouting like you are now and supporting the players from afar. my guess, you would have quickly abandoned ship and started bad mouthing JJ every chance you would get and would have been calling for RV to be fired for hiring him. Your faint praise after a five game win streak is very hypocritical of you...but only at North Texas I guess.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Double down on the BS argument.

You don't compare a coach's 3rd year record that was handed caca to a coach's 3rd year record that was handed, to quote your own AD, "the most talented team in school history."

You can say it as many ways as RV tells you to, but all you are doing is re-phrasing the above.

• Upvote 1

Our ad was wrong. We all wanted that team to take us on to the next level. You say that jj would have done great things with that team, but we will never know. We were not in prime position. You can argue this point all day, but it is just not true. Barry switzer was left in prime position, we were not.

If you would just quit your bs and come watch a game you could see it in person. Together with jordan, t.j. Taylor is a bad man. Deandre is the fastest thing with a basketball we have had. Mo can really play. Voss is a blue collar player that will put you on your rear. And combs, the freshman, freaky athletic ability with tremendous upside. Flanigan very athletic and great off of the bench.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Jones was taking over after the previous four seasons were 20-87. He wasn't winning conference titles? No crap he wasn't. It was nice we were over .500 at all his first season. That made a lot of folks cut him some slack when his second was rough (not to mention that was a really bad injury filled campaign).

People trying to say the team JJ left us was filled with a bunch of cancers who wouldn't have amounted to anything no matter the coach are trying to be obtuse. That was a loaded roster.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

Our ad was wrong. We all wanted that team to take us on to the next level. You say that jj would have done great things with that team, but we will never know. We were not in prime position. You can argue this point all day, but it is just not true. Barry switzer was left in prime position, we were not.

If you would just quit your bs and come watch a game you could see it in person. Together with jordan, t.j. Taylor is a bad man. Deandre is the fastest thing with a basketball we have had. Mo can really play. Voss is a blue collar player that will put you on your rear. And combs, the freshman, freaky athletic ability with tremendous upside. Flanigan very athletic and great off of the bench.

I was there for just about every home game in 2012, and I've never seen a bigger embarrassment of a head coach. It was ABSOLUTELY his doing and anyone who even knows a little about basketball and watched 3 or 4 home games in 2012 after watching the severely undermanned yet extremely competitive 2011 team could tell.

It was a HUGE opportunity that was completely wasted for this university.

You want to pump up this 5 game win streak, go right ahead. No problem with it at all and hope that either Benford learned how to coach or the assistants that have righted this thing during this stretch keep it righted, But don't throw cryptic bullshit out there about something that so clearly wasn't the reason for what happened to this program in 2012 and then say "you just don't have the inside scoop." That's the biggest load of crap that you can dump on a fan base. Either come out with what you think the real problem was or just stay out of the argument.

Funny how you say the AD was wrong about this being the most talented team in UNT history, yet you don't doubt that he was wrong about the cause of the 2012 collapse. Convenient.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

I was there for just about every home game in 2012, and I've never seen a bigger embarrassment of a head coach. It was ABSOLUTELY his doing and anyone who even knows a little about basketball and watched 3 or 4 home games in 2012 after watching the severely undermanned yet extremely competitive 2011 team could tell.

It was a HUGE opportunity that was completely wasted for this university.

You want to pump up this 5 game win streak, go right ahead. No problem with it at all and hope that either Benford learned how to coach or the assistants that have righted this thing during this stretch keep it righted, But don't throw cryptic bullshit out there about something that so clearly wasn't the reason for what happened to this program in 2012 and then say "you just don't have the inside scoop." That's the biggest load of crap that you can dump on a fan base. Either come out with what you think the real problem was or just stay out of the argument.

Funny how you say the AD was wrong about this being the most talented team in UNT history, yet you don't doubt that he was wrong about the cause of the 2012 collapse. Convenient.

Wow! You were there for ALMOST every game in 2012! Time for a gold watch.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

You know what? It's no use. He was there for ALMOST every game in 2012. He saw that magnificent effort being made. So, let's just all admit that he is the expert in his own mind and it's no use...lost cause with him. His mind is made up. No biggie. What we should all do is to just stop feeding the troll. Then he can argue with himself.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

You know what? It's no use. He was there for ALMOST every game in 2012. He saw that magnificent effort being made. So, let's just all admit that he is the expert in his own mind and it's no use...lost cause with him. His mind is made up. No biggie. What we should all do is to just stop feeding the troll. Then he can argue with himself.

Or how about not implying that JJ and Benford had equal starting points with talent on hand.

Because it is a REALLY stupid implication.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

So KRAM, and fly, you really believe (I would like a simple yes or no) that JJ and Tony B started with a program that was at the same spot? I don't want to hear some sorry excuse about a LR cancer... I'm sure coach Calipari (who I strongly dislike) hasn't had a LR full of stand up teammates, yet all he does is win and keep forging TEAMS.

• Upvote 1

How do you know that the team was not full of cancers? What is your proof of this?

The year before for one.

What is your proof it was? Benford saying so? None of the ones I've heard accused seemed particularly bad when JJ was here. Hell, everyone was talking about what a great teammate Tony was for even coming back. Not even six months later he's a cancer who is all about himself. If he was all about himself, he never would have come back!

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3

I do not believe that they started in the same place, but i do believe that we all, including our athletic department, went "all in" on tony mitchell etal. The team had talent, but after personally attending practices and hearing things that were going on, i knew there was trouble. Tell me what mitchell did for this program please. Yes he got drafted, but did he lay it out there every night? The poor guy had freaky athletic skills, but no motor.

A little less hype would have been better.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The year before for one.

What is your proof it was? Benford saying so? None of the ones I've heard accused seemed particularly bad when JJ was here. Hell, everyone was talking about what a great teammate Tony was for even coming back. Not even six months later he's a cancer who is all about himself. If he was all about himself, he never would have come back!

I have never said that tony was a cancer. He did loaf a lot, can you argue that? His lack of effort cost him millions.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have never said that tony was a cancer. He did loaf a lot, can you argue that? His lack of effort cost him millions.

You didn't say anyone specifically was a cancer. I have heard accusations that he was one of the cancers on that team. Actually, I think at one point or another five different guys off that team have been listed as cancers by this or that person.

My only rebuttal is....if JJ had that many cancers around, how did he do so well? And the fact that he still did must mean he's an even better coach than we gave him credit for.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Why did mr. Alzee williams miss the conference tournament last year?

At least get your talking points correct. He was at El Paso last year.

He missed two years ago. Yes, I know why. I also know he was arguably our most consistent player when JJ was around, and that somehow he turned into some "poisonous" element within a few months. He and Benford may not have gotten along, which caused Alzee not give a crap about basketball. Alzee's legal issues may have turned the whole team into a volatile bad chemistry of chaos.

Sure, if that's your story fine (I remain unconvinced). Alzee amazingly recovered to have a good senior season (with practically the same exact numbers as his troubled junior campaign). He was our best defender and probably ran the point with more consistency than CJ.

(((BTW - "Mr. Team Cancer" Alzee Williams led the team in minutes per game his junior year....so obviously it didn't bother Benford TOO much.)))

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3