MGB: Offseason questions series No.1 -- QB situation

Brett Vito

I think we see Means before we see Mini-Mac. DMac made it really clear that none of last years QBs were good enough. MiniMac was a redshirt junior last year. He isn't going to get much better and his arm isn't going to get stronger.

If Smith doesn't make it to campus or falls on his face in the fall, look for Means to be on the field against SMU, mainly by default.

I think we see Means before we see Mini-Mac. DMac made it really clear that none of last years QBs were good enough. MiniMac was a redshirt junior last year. He isn't going to get much better and his arm isn't going to get stronger.

If Smith doesn't make it to campus or falls on his face in the fall, look for Means to be on the field against SMU, mainly by default.

Wondering if McNulty steps up and has his time in the sun this season like what Thompson did in 2013.

Thompson had a better 2012 than McNulty's 2014 though. We'll see. Otherwise, it's Smith or bust for me.

shocked that Williams is still around as well as Greer, they have 0% chance of ever seeing the field again.

i don't know about this... he still has 3 years to turn things around... he may not have the drive right now, but the roster still shows an 'FR' next to his name... I HOPE he has the sense to stick around and improve on what is holding him back with Mac...

Wondering if McNulty steps up and has his time in the sun this season like what Thompson did in 2013.

Thompson had a better 2012 than McNulty's 2014 though. We'll see. Otherwise, it's Smith or bust for me.

Thompson had many more physical tools at his disposal than McNulty.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for McNulty for getting the most out of what God gave him, but unlike DT, the problem is that doesn't equate to an effective FBS starting QB.

I find it odd that some are writing off a redshirt freshman in Williams. In most cases, we would prefer a RS freshman mature a little before stepping on the field. I think it is too early to write him off. Greer was a bigger disappointment to me considering JUCO's are expected to come in a contribute.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3

I find it odd that some are writing off a redshirt freshman in Williams. In most cases, we would prefer a RS freshman mature a little.

He has a long way to go. Not writing him off, but it's tough to get out of McCarney's doghouse when you're a loose turnover cannon. It's not so much about his 'maturity' as it is about his decision-making with the ball. He probably looks like an all star in practice and we've seen what he can do VS FCS opponents, but as soon as a quality team gets after him, good decisions, like taking a sack or throwing away, fly out the window.

And good decision making is part of the maturation process. To clarify, good decision making includes checking down, looking off defenders, etc... Everything included in being a starting QB. That is why you see so few high school freshman, HS freshmen and rookies in the NFL succeed at this position and take a couple of years to acclimate to the speed of the game, defenses, etc...

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

I find it odd that some are writing off a redshirt freshman in Williams. In most cases, we would prefer a RS freshman mature a little before stepping on the field. I think it is too early to write him off. Greer was a bigger disappointment to me considering JUCO's are expected to come in a contribute.

I'm certainly pulling for him to have an epiphany.

I wouldn't say McNulty turned it on at UTSA last year, but he was hitting some solid passes in tight windows. If he is able to improve on that, we may be able to see some low 200 yard games to start the year. That'd be something.

Biggest problem is consistency down field, and he locks onto the primary receiver. If the primary receiver is covered, and it takes McNulty too long to realize that, he's in trouble. He doesn't look off DBs, doesn't challenge LBs. This can be taught, but I didn't see a whole lot of improvement over the last 5 games, including his down field range.

But he's got some poise, will hit a good, tough pass a few times a game, and is a tough dude. I'll give him credit where it's due. He has the ability to keep us in a game, he's just not going to be the guy to win it on his own. (Defense also enters the conversation here).

Another factor that affected QB play last year was receivers. I think Kidsy and especially Smiley seeing more snaps will help the QB out. Those two and Marcus Smith need to get better at being physical and selling their routes, and coming back to the QB when he inevitably scrambles. Physicality is something that Thad brings, and I CAN'T WAIT. This year's WR core will be the best we've seen in a while. Fast, physical, and talented.

Just got to get them the ball.

Thompson had many more physical tools at his disposal than McNulty.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for McNulty for getting the most out of what God gave him, but unlike DT, the problem is that doesn't equate to an effective FBS starting QB.

Which is very bad for our current program. Because Thompson didn't have a cannon for an arm, blazing speed, or good size.

I suspect those that are writing DW off are basing it less on his maturity, and more on Mac/Chico philosophies.

That's exactly why I write him off--the Mac philosophy doesn't mesh with Dajon at all, both on the field and off the field. I'd love it if Mac went to him and just told him that he has 1 last chance to prove that he can be the QB they want him to be, in the locker room and on the field, but I am not sure Dajon wants to do that, based off of what we have read on this site. Its too bad--he could easily be the best QB we have had here since Mitch Maher, if not better. As for Greer, the stafff just missed on him--I think they thoiught his JUCO experience would translate here, but it was a failure. He's a guy that could play at a low level FCS, like NIcholls State, probably, but that's about it.

I think McNulty will start the season under center in Dallas and he will be touted as the guy who has senior leadership and knows the playbook really well. (i.e., hands off the ball well and throws bubble screens and short passes when we ask him to). I think Mac has siad the QB play needs to improve greatly for two reasons--1.) It was very poor last year and 2.)He knows the fans think it was bad. I don't read into anything he says as being ready to replace Minimac as the starter. I think he just wants him to get better at being the busdriver.

I do know one thing, whether its in the next few months or over the summer, but we are going to see a QB exodus over there. I fully expect DW and Greer to be gone, as well as some of the walk-ons. I figure the QB depth chart will be McNulty, Smith, Means, and Chumley. I think last year really burned Mac and Chico with trying to go with the guys who they thought were ready to play at this level with more talent than Minimac--in the end, that's who they turned over the keys to again for the last half of the season. I suspect that is how it will go for 2015, as well.

I'm certainly pulling for him to have an epiphany.

It'd be nice to see someone with Williams' natural talents succeed here. He has all of the right physical tools to be a great UNT QB, but he wasn't consistent. It would've been great to see a freshman step up and do great things, but it was unrealistic. I also felt disappointed by Greer. He looked good in the videos and his stats showed that he should've done well. Maybe he just isn't built for D1 ball, or maybe the UT game shook him pretty badly. None of those are bad things, it's just that he might not be the fit here.

But I'm entirely eager to be proven wrong. If Greer shows up with a great arm, decisiveness, and foot speed, I'm all for him.

In fairness to DW, he never would have played meaningful minutes this year if everything had gone as planned. And yes, I know we could all cherry pick examples of freshman/RS freshman QBs who tore it up immediately. But, it seems like McCarney was planning on a much longer process of development ("maturing") before even allowing DW to compete for a starting role. He was haphazardly thrust into a starting spot out of desperation.

Y'all remember how terrible TCU's young Boykin was right? Took a few years, A LOT of turnovers, and some good coaching to turn it around. Now look at him and their offense.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/517127/trevone-boykin

Now, I'm not saying he's Boykin by any means, but I think you have to give this kid chances, specifically with the play calls made. Don't put a RS freshman in those spots if you know he makes bad decisions.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/549918/dajon-williams