Texas is No Longer the Nation's Most Valuable Program

Mean Green 93-98

The Ohio State program is worth more than $1.1 billion, the largest figure in the nation, according to an annual study. The Buckeyes have dethroned Texas, which had held the top spot for three straight years in the annual valuation by Ryan Brewer, an assistant professor of finance at Indiana University-Purdue University Columbus.

The Longhorns, who still led all programs in estimated revenues, are worth $972.1 million, up from $875 million a year ago. But that was only good for No. 3. Michigan finished second at $999.1 million. Ohio State and Michigan both benefited from much-improved cash flows over the past year.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/whats-your-college-team-worth-1421081367

The resulting figures represent what the teams might fetch if they could be bought and sold on the open market like professional teams.

Ah, so it's a made up figure. I was wondering how you could put a worth value on something that cannot be bought or sold and never will. Because if you were to factor in the oil land alone that tU has been endowed, the amount of money to purchase that could buy Ohio St no telling how many times over.

Rick

Ah, so it's a made up figure. I was wondering how you could put a worth value on something that cannot be bought or sold and never will. Because if you were to factor in the oil land alone that tU has been endowed, the amount of money to purchase that could buy Ohio St no telling how many times over.

This specifically pertains to football teams, not to the university at large. Endowments and such are not considered, as Michigan's endowment is significantly higher than UT's and OSU's combined.

But it is essentially a made-up figure, the same way they do with professional sports franchises that are not actually on the market.

This specifically pertains to football teams, not to the university at large. Endowments and such are not considered, as Michigan's endowment is significantly higher than UT's and OSU's combined.

But it is essentially a made-up figure, the same way they do with professional sports franchises that are not actually on the market.

http://www.nacubo.org/Documents/research/2012NCSEPublicTablesEndowmentMarketValuesFinalJanuary232013.pdf

Texas is 3rd with an endowment of $18.2 Billion behind Harvard $30.4B and Yale $19.3B.

Michigan is 7th at $7.6B, and as I said before, if such a thing existed, Ohio St could be bought several times over by Texas as they only rank 29th at $2.3B.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

http://www.nacubo.org/Documents/research/2012NCSEPublicTablesEndowmentMarketValuesFinalJanuary232013.pdf

Texas is 3rd with an endowment of $18.2 Billion behind Harvard $30.4B and Yale $19.3B.

Michigan is 7th at $7.6B, and as I said before, if such a thing existed, Ohio St could be bought several times over by Texas as they only rank 29th at $2.3B.

Rick

The names we are next to on that list make me want to gag

The names we are next to on that list make me want to gag

I hear ya. On one hand you gotta remmeber NT did not start it's endowment fundraising until very late. I'm guessing but I'd say it was in the '80's?

But on the other hand, it's been around $120 Million for as long as I have been paying attention to it the past 15 years or so.

Apparently it's not a concern to administration? I have no idea?

Rick

Rick

Interesting. That is system-wide, however. UT-Austin's endowment is $6 billion, according to Wikipedia. Michigan's endowment is $9.47 billion, again, according to Wikipedia.

None of which has a hill of beans to do with the article, though. You hear loud and often about how UT's football program is the #1 most valuable, but apparently it's not anymore.

Rick

Is this fair? There are some fairly well-know graduates of Harvard that preach "fairness" on a regular basis. So why not start with forcing Harvard to send some our way. Just after our "fair share" you know.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That list has produced some really strange results. At #82, we are slightly ahead of everyone else in CUSA (not a good sign for the conference). Plus, East Carolina is at #86, which seems far lower than I would have thought considering their attendance (50k average). I would think that attendance and revenue would be very closely tied.

If I read that list correctly, we are the 382nd largest endowment in North America...with a top 30 enrollment and an existence of 125 years now.

If any statistic just screams "diploma mill", it is this one. Its just stunning how much of a disconnect there has been between our alumni and the university that they got their degree from. To me, its almost as if the university just has to focus on graduates of the last 20 years to see if they can turn them into major donors in the coming decades. If you graduated from here before 1995, its almost as if you graduated from one of the largest community colleges in the world. I still cannot believe that a university of the size it has been for so long has such an amazingly low endowment. You almost have to try to keep it that low--like any effort at all could've bumped the thing up substantially over the last 50 years.

Only in Denton...

• Upvote 1

Is this fair? There are some fairly well-know graduates of Harvard that preach "fairness" on a regular basis. So why not start with forcing Harvard to send some our way. Just after our "fair share" you know.

Like their faculty when they found out that their healthcare costs are rising just like everyone else's? Sorry--that was Eagles Nest level BS...I will ban myself.

If I read that list correctly, we are the 382nd largest endowment in North America...with a top 30 enrollment and an existence of 125 years now.

....and for the vast majority of those 125 years there was not an endowment fund in existence. I was shocked when Dallas Green told me years ago that when people sent money to the University to go into any sort of endowment-type fund, Dr. Matthews would send it back. Giving money to the University, either in the form of an endowment or starting a Mean Green club were discouraged. I don't know if that screams community college or not, but it was our culture.

And I agree with FFR about the "worth" of a football program. How can you put a dollar value on something that can't be sold.

Edited by SilverEagle

And I agree with FFR about the "worth" of a football program. How can you put a dollar value on something that can't be sold.

You take the profit (or if you want net income) that it produces then say if I can get (or require) a 10% return on my investment, how much am I wiling to pay (the value) in order to get that return. You basically work backwards from profit and required rate of return.

Some of you people crack me up. One the one hand you WANT us to tout our music and liberal art programs then turn around and bitch about our small endowement. Teachers, band directors etc are never going to make 6 figures like business and engineering grads will. Sorry but you can't have it both ways. Look at every school on that list and see what the majority of degrees are in.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Some of you people crack me up. One the one hand you WANT us to tout our music and liberal art programs then turn around and bitch about our small endowement. Teachers, band directors etc are never going to make 6 figures like business and engineering grads will. Sorry but you can't have it both ways. Look at every school on that list and see what the majority of degrees are in.

Michigan, USC, Top-25 schools on that list with music colleges comparable to UNTs.

IU is probably the closest example to UNT in terms of the size and esteem of a public college of music, and their endowment is 1.75 billion.

Northwestern is incredible, and their endowment is 7.9 mil. They are not public, though.

I don't think there is any question that engineering/business make more money than teachers, but to say you can't have both would not be completely accurate. Let's just keep finding ways to elevate and engage engineering/business grads.

• Upvote 2

Michigan, USC, Top-25 schools on that list with music colleges comparable to UNTs.

IU is probably the closest example to UNT in terms of the size and esteem of a public college of music, and their endowment is 1.75 billion.

Northwestern is incredible, and their endowment is 7.9 mil. They are not public, though.

I don't think there is any question that engineering/business make more money than teachers, but to say you can't have both would not be completely accurate. Let's just keep finding ways to elevate and engage engineering/business grads.

just curious, how many universities even have a music program?
  • Downvote 1

I'm actually surprised how small that list is. Completely coincidental that every campus I've been in any way affiliated with has a music program I guess. I thought every university had a music program.

FWIW There's no way that list is comprehensive. I just skimmed over LA and TX and thought of several universities that are not included.