Harry

I think it is wishful thinking to think UNT has the corner on black athletes in the metroplex and that we have the "best environment" for them.

That all depends on the individual that is coming to UNT. What if the particular athlete wants a degree in business? They may opt for the Cox School of Business at SMU and the connections (as or more important than a piece of paper in the business world) that it brings than a "diverse" enoviroment at UNT.

Pigeonholing people of color into only wanting to be around other people of color above any future goals they may have for themselves is a HUGE mistake.

As is suggesting TCU and SMU alumni are all white and the black grads that play athletics there won't "fit in" as alumni. Just blatantly not true.

Black athletes will always be "the help" to a large portion of SMU alums. It is what it is. If these kids didn't run fast or jump high (and probably not even then) the prospect of an SMU alum's daughter coming home with one of them is a nightmare scenario for them.

Play sports, give me some wins to cheer for, take your payment (degree) and move along.

• Downvote 3

Not really... 5'10" 4.7. That doesn't bode well for the big boys. And tbh that hardly bodes well for D1 FBS. It was surprising to see that many offers. He must be more elusive and quick rather than athletic and fast. Either way, guys like that, IMO, are everywhere.

"Chad Morris Is Rebuilding SMU By Recruiting In State..."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/high-schools/headlines/20150124-smith-chad-morris-is-rebuilding-smu-by-recruiting-in-state-and-he-s-already-winning-some-major-battles.ece

For Morris and his staff to rebuild relationships, something as simple as a phone call could be all thats needed. When Smith reached out to Bellaire Episcopal coach Steve Leisz to give him his newly minted SMU e-mail address, Leisz was flabbergasted.

Because, in my years of coaching, theres not been a SMU guy return a phone call, Leisz said.

Under Leisz for the past decade, Episcopal has won two of the last three Southwest Preparatory Conference large-school titles. In recent years, the school has produced Division I prospects with some regularity. Leisz said he had at least three in the current pipeline: Giovanni Pancotti, a 6-6, 290-pound junior offensive lineman with offers from Houston and Texas Tech; and two sophomores whom Leisz believes will be major college recruits, defensive tackle Marvin Wilson and receiver Jhamon Ausbon.

If not for the coaching change, none of them would have ever contemplated attending SMU. While he could pick up his phone and get Texas or TCU within 10 minutes, Leisz had so little success contacting SMUs staff during Jones tenure that he actively dissuaded his players from considering the Mustangs.

For an example, Leisz pointed to five years ago. He had a senior quarterback, an accomplished passer, who dreamed of going to SMU. Leisz tried to reach out, to no avail.

I couldnt do anything, he said.

That quarterback, Shane Carden, went to East Carolina instead. As a senior this season, Carden became East Carolinas career passing leader, ironically setting the mark against SMU in a 45-24 win. Ending his career as ECUs all-time leader in completions, touchdowns and total yards, Carden is considered by ESPNs Mel Kiper Jr. as the 10th-best quarterback prospect in the upcoming NFL draft.

Now, when I look at all the coaching clinics coming up, I see SMU, SMU, SMU, around everything, Leisz said. Theres no doubt they are making a splash.

Rick

Not really... 5'10" 4.7. That doesn't bode well for the big boys. And tbh that hardly bodes well for D1 FBS. It was surprising to see that many offers. He must be more elusive and quick rather than athletic and fast. Either way, guys like that, IMO, are everywhere.

Maybe, but there are a lot of big time schools that would disagree with you. Personally, I am happy we got Bradley. I think he is a sleeper.

• Upvote 1

Why would you ignore the offer sheet and jump to this conclusion over an unverified height and 40 time on a recruiting site?

Impressive get for SMU who will most likely return to whooping our ass again (in recruiting) during the spring evaluation period for the class of 2016.

Edited by ntmeangreen11
  • Downvote 1

Getting way off topic here, but the last time I looked both TCU and SMU were in the South. Like only 30 miles from UNT south.

And EVERY parent, REGARDLESS OF RACE, should have a conversation with their children about how to act when interacting with the police. One of the areas covered should be to never physically resist the police. Ever. Because you can't win. If they are going to arrest you, let it happen and fight the battle in court, where it should be fought. If parents OF ALL RACES did this, we wouldn't be facing the current events unfolding in this country.

If ALL parents did this, REGARDLESS OF RACE, society would be a lot safer for everyone. Instead, children are being taught to burn and loot currently. They are watching as people scream nasty names, taunt, and attack police with rocks and bottles. They are told by many in their community and many in the press that this action is ok. That doesn't bode well for them or police officers later in their life.

This is a societal issue, not a race issue.

That may be your best post ever. I wish that it could somehow get into the hands of Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Eric Holder, et al. Their thrust should be to protect those that are innocent and have been wronged. Those guilty, REGARDLESS OF RACE, are not above the law and just got caught. Justice is facing responsibility, paying for the error of your ways, and getting your life back on track.

You're also right...this is not a race issue. Actually, we are all one race. The only difference is the amount of pigment in our skin. But, that difference can become a societal issue if we let it. The more we stir that pot, the wider the breach becomes. Sports teams work together and support one another regardless of societal background. If only the populace as a whole would follow that kind of teamwork.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

Espn's data on recruits is never accurate. This kid is 5'11" with a 4.38 40
  • Upvote 1

Don't kid yourselves, Money and the right hire and wins turned TCU around and it can certainly do the same for SMU.

Rick

I don't think we beat SMU again during the remainder of the series. Not with our current head coach. I hope I'm wrong. It does amaze me however how many on this board think the glory days of smu athletics are a thing of the past. No way.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

If he went to an espn combine as a soph or Jr, and never went back, then the espn info will be outdated. these recruiting sites depends on recruits giving them updates.

Getting a third of a second faster in the 40 is almost impossible over the course of one or even two years unless there is some type of massive weight loss.

If he went to an espn combine as a soph or Jr, and never went back, then the espn info will be outdated. these recruiting sites depends on recruits giving them updates.

Exactly. Dajon's 40 time time on his ESPN profile was a 5.14, but we know he's faster than that.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/130854/dajon-williams

Castille was a pretty big pickup for them. And to simply look at a spare 40 time and his size and says otherwise is not knowing nearly enough about him to make a worthwhile opinion.

Getting a third of a second faster in the 40 is almost impossible over the course of one or even two years unless there is some type of

massive weight loss.

Maybe for a grown man. Not for a 14-15 year old fresh-soph that is still growing. Im 45, and a few years ago I was able to beat a few fresh and soph running in the 4.8 4.9 range. A year later, not even close. 4.6- 4.7 range. Senior year 4.4-4.5.

You must not be around any high school football program or track program to think kids cant get faster. Just look at a fresh 100 runner. Most likely running low 11s high 10s. 2 years later he could be running in the state meet. Seen it happen lots of times right here in fort bend.

Just looked at his tape. Nowhere near 4.7. More like 4.4 game speed. Quick, fast, runs good routes.

The only knock is that given his big body, at nearly 200 lbs, he wasn't winning, or given the opportunity to win, contested balls, or catches in traffic. If the defender had a clean angle, xavier was going down. Most of his senior tape shows him in only open space.

Although he's no Antonio Brown, this was def a great get by SMU, no doubt.

Maybe for a grown man. Not for a 14-15 year old fresh-soph that is still growing. Im 45, and a few years ago I was able to beat a few fresh and soph running in the 4.8 4.9 range. A year later, not even close. 4.6- 4.7 range. Senior year 4.4-4.5.

You must not be around any high school football program or track program to think kids cant get faster. Just look at a fresh 100 runner. Most likely running low 11s high 10s. 2 years later he could be running in the state meet. Seen it happen lots of times right here in fort bend.

Kids that run 4.9 in the 40 can't run high 10'a or low 11's in the 100 meters. If it takes 4.9 seconds to run 40 yards you can't run 70 more yards in 6 seconds (the 100 is in meters, not yards). Every .1 in the forty is about the equivalent of 1 step. .3 or .5 is three or five steps in a forty yard race. That is a huge difference.

• Downvote 1

Kids that run 4.9 in the 40 can't run high 10'a or low 11's in the 100 meters. If it takes 4.9 seconds to run 40 yards you can't run 70 more yards in 6 seconds (the 100 is in meters, not yards). Every .1 in the forty is about the equivalent of 1 step. .3 or .5 is three or five steps in a forty yard race. That is a huge difference.

Please stop.

• Upvote 1

Please stop.

So must think a kid that runs a 4.5 in the forty can run the 100 in 10 flat, huh? That's how your math works out. The only way a kid could run a 4.9 forty and sub 11 hundred meters would be if he had absolutely no idea about how to get out of his stance and was really much faster than 4.9. I ran a 10.9 in the hundred as a junior in high school and I had a 4.56 forty and the next year I ran a 10.7 with a 4.46 forty. Now we also times 40's during track season. If you had a 4.9 forty in August and then in April you run the 100 it may be more possible, however still highly unlikely.

So must think a kid that runs a 4.5 in the forty can run the 100 in 10 flat, huh? That's how your math works out. The only way a kid could run a 4.9 forty and sub 11 hundred meters would be if he had absolutely no idea about how to get out of his stance and was really much faster than 4.9. I ran a 10.9 in the hundred as a junior in high school and I had a 4.56 forty and the next year I ran a 10.7 with a 4.46 forty. Now we also times 40's during track season. If you had a 4.9 forty in August and then in April you run the 100 it may be more possible, however still highly unlikely.

Please go back and read. I said most freshmen run the 100 in LOW 11s-high 10s. There's plenty of evidence to support that. You just chose to ignore the low 11 and concentrated on the the high 10s.

I also said fresh and sophs run the 40 in the 4.8-4.9 range. You decided to pick the 4.9 and match it with a 10.9 or whatever 100.

Whatever your point is, you said someone cannot drop .3 off a 40 time in a year or two, and that is incorrect.

Not sure why I even brought up the 100 other than for you to research sprinters and look at how their times dropped from fresh/soph to their senior year. And FAT times are available for those that will say it's fake. Bringing up track only confused you I guess.

you ran a 4.46 as a senior. 4.56 as a jr. what was it as a fresh and soph?..or did you step on the high school campus running 4.56?

I have no worries about SMU...none. They are in the same boat as us and they are stuck in it. They will never be in the P5--never.TCU took their place by basically doing waht any of the regional teams that were non-AQ at the time potentially could have done. See, when the Aggies left the Big XII, the Big XII had 9 schools, since West Virginia had just signed up. They needed at least ten, looked around at the landscape to see who was available and who had a winning pedigree that the majority of schools in the conference wanted to invite, but it wouldn't cost a lot to get. And that is how the Purple Little Engine That Could managed to get into the Big 12. That Rose bowl win was a hundred million dollar ticket to TCU--both in what he did and what it was about to do.

The thing about TCU is that anyone else in Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Colorado, and New Mexico could have done the same thing that TCU did--start winning big, beating ranked opponents when the opportunity presented itself, and earning AQ bowl berths by being highly ranked. No one did, though. (Utha did, so they got rewarded with an invite to the Pac-12). No other team in the eastern part of the MWC, CUSA, or SBC did that--not Houston, UTEP, Rice, SMU, UNT, Tulsa, Tulane, ULL, ULM, Arkansas State, UNM, NMSU, Colorado State, AFA, etc...nobody. TCU literally had no competition for that spot once the Big XII needed an extra member that the non-Texas schools wanted another opponent in this state.

Today, it sounds nice to say that you could duplicate TCU's example--but that shipped has sailed out of the P5 harbor. The P5s increased autonomy, the dropping of the Big East, and the new rules for many conferences to schedule other P5 schools in OOC more often has made the divide between the G5 and the P5 almost Grand Canyon-esque in its vastness. Sure, there are still a few that could gain an invite becasue they win in the right sport, provide a new TV market for network fees that the conference wants, or they just fit culturally--UConn and Cincy come to mind very quickly as schools who fit this profile for the P5 conferences who might look to add someone else down the road. But that is it. No other P5 conference will take a small private school, not the SEC, not the Pac, not the B1G, and not the ACC (only BYU could possibly gain access to the Big 12, but that is it.)

SMUs money is impre$$ive--always has been, always will be. But it doesn't ever open the door to the P5 high rise. And it won't--they are too small to move the needle. So are Rice, Tulane, and Tulsa. They are dominated in their own markets by the P5 schools. TCU just got lucky enough to find their way in the last remianing window that hadn't been locked in this area. The rest of us just have to deal with the elements of being outside. Even if SMU went 10-2 next year in football, they won't get more than 25k as an average at Ford Stadium. Same with Rice, same with Tulane, and same with Tulsa.

Your larger public universities in the south are basically stuck because we play so near UT, Texas Tech, A&M, OU, OSU, Arkansas, LSU, Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn, Gerogia, Florida, FSU, Clemson, South Carolina, UNC, Kentucky, etc...i.e, UCF, UH, UNT, UTSA, USF, ECU, USM, Memphis, La Tech, ULL, WKU, MUTS, F_U, and Arkansas State are all examples of public schools that nobody cares to invite up to the conference nearest them. And Cincinnati only is not on this list because of WVUs place in the Big XII and Louisville/Pitt being in the ACC as leagues that would consider adding them as a new market for travel reasons and for marketing reasons. If they weren't open, Cincy would easily be like NIU or CMU--big schools in B1G states that will never ever invite them to be in that league.

But unitl most of the G5s realize this completely, you're gonna have people that think SMUs money and UH's size could get them into the Big 12 or that UCFs size could get them into the ACC/SEC along with USF, which just ignores how much TV markets play into this for P5 conferences. When reality does set in, though, for these G5 schools who have always felt that they belonged in the P5 because they used to be in the SWC or in the old Big East, its gonna be hilarious watching that reality hit them. Not a one of them will be any better off than we are right now. We will be fine playing lower division games against our SBCUSAAC brethren--anything above the old i-aa and SLC teams is a giant leap up from what we let our fans watch for over a decade. We get excited when a former private SWC team comes to town--but what are UH and SMU gonna think when they had dreams of playing Texas and Arkansas again as conference mates, but instead wake up to the reality that will come down the road, that their conference mates are Texas State and Arkansas State? For us, it will be no big deal, but for schools like SMU and Tulane, I really see them dropping football before ever playing a down as an official "left-behind-for-good" program. The UHs of the world will bitch loudly amongst themselves, but they will find comfort in playing in state schools like UTEP, UTSA, Texas State, and us, as well as Louisana Tech and ULala. And Cougar Queer, before you jump up and down about this and say you guys will just stop playing football if this happened, just remember that those schools I listed above have all beaten UH (except pitiful UNT) in the last decade or so.

Edited by untjim1995