If UAB leaves who replaces them?

Harry

The biggest load of crap was the reasoning that they want to focus on sports that will bring the most national prominence, etc., etc. What will do that better than football? I guess their decent BB team, IF they don't have to drop to DII.

The biggest load of crap was the reasoning that they want to focus on sports that will bring the most national prominence, etc., etc. What will do that better than football? I guess their decent BB team, IF they don't have to drop to DII.

There are minimums in the number of men's and women's sports a school must field for Division 1 membership.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_I_%28NCAA%29#cite_note-NCAA_Division_Differences-8

All D-I schools must field teams in at least seven sports for men and seven for women or six for men and eight for women, with at least two team sports for each gender.[8] There are several other NCAA sanctioned minimums and differences that distinguish Division I from Divisions II and III.[8]

Edited by UNTFan23

The Carr report has been leaked:

UAB Athletics Strategic Planning

Conversely, assuming the current level of institutional investment, the Division I Without Football Pro Forma predicts a total five-year net revenue of approximately $2.0 million. Therefore, the difference in operating financials is estimated to be $27.3 million over five years with Football.

Additionally, an incremental capital investment of $22.2 million in Football facilities (Football practice field, Multi-Sport Indoor Practice Facility and a Football administration building) would also be necessary to build and sustain competitiveness. Capital investments do not include a new Football stadium.
Therefore, UAB would be required to make a minimum additional investment of approximately $47.5 million, over the next five years to operate a competitive CUSA-level football program
---
With over 100 male participants, Football significantly impacts the composition of women's sports to achieve a commensurate number of female student-athletes. Therefore, UAB Athletics' FBS Pro Forma incorporates Women’s Swimming and Diving to maintain female participation goals.

Conversely, the Division I Without Football Pro Forma eliminates Football, along with Women’s Bowling and Rifle; Men’s Cross Country and Track are added to maintain the NCAA Division I minimum sport sponsorship requirements.

UAB will remain D1 by adding CC & Track. I doubt they will be allowed to remain in CUSA.

That is an incredibly small report to destroy a FB program with.

This does not take into consideration anything like alumni allegiance and brand gains from a winning football program. It's clearly an instrument used to bless the removal of FB. I've written more advanced analysis in the Ukraine thread than was given to their FB program.

Bad management loves to pay consultants to be the bearers of bad news.

• Upvote 3

Okay, I'll take a beating for this but oh well. Lobby like hell to get into the AAC. Sorry, perception is reality and they are more of the CUSA we thought we were joining. Let me have it.

You won't get an argument from me. Unfortunately, CUSA was the high bar for us the day we joined.

It's not just athletics that suffers, I would expect student enrollment to drop as students do look for the full "college experience" which does include football/sports.

Just like the 33,000 students at UTA who has experienced a 60% growth in enrollment since 2000.

I've read that schools all over the country are experiencing declining student attendance at football games, even the "big boys".

Returning to UAB, this news is a real pity.

• Upvote 2

There are minimums in the number of men's and women's sports a school must field for Division 1 membership.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_I_%28NCAA%29#cite_note-NCAA_Division_Differences-8

UAB will remain D1 by adding CC & Track. I doubt they will be allowed to remain in CUSA.

I was thinking something along these lines when I posted about them not having to drop to DII. Probably should have been more specific, but Cerebus did it for me anyway....

The high bar? According to who? CUSA may hate to see us go, but they wouldn't have a say. AAC affiliation needs to be a serious priority.

C-USA would have a say in that we've got a pretty good-sized exit fee in place. But SMU and UH have zero incentive to let us into the AAC. UTSA will go AAC before we ever get considered. There's nowhere for us to go. Our option is to win and to win often; to build a program that is associated with winning. That's it. That's all we can control.

Right now, I'm not sure that's the path we are on.

• Upvote 2