If UAB leaves who replaces them?

Harry

C-USA would have a say in that we've got a pretty good-sized exit fee in place. But SMU and UH have zero incentive to let us into the AAC. UTSA will go AAC before we ever get considered. There's nowhere for us to go. Our option is to win and to win often; to build a program that is associated with winning. That's it. That's all we can control.

Right now, I'm not sure that's the path we are on.

Did the Boise State/San Diego State to AAC deal every go through? Would it be time to head for the mountains if it ever does?

The high bar? According to who? CUSA may hate to see us go, but they wouldn't have a say. AAC affiliation needs to be a serious priority.

My guess is our AD. Too much work to go any further up the food chain(AAC, MWC). When the AAC was starting to organize our admin. should have been doing everything in there to move UNT there. When ECU, Tulsa, Tulane were offered AAC membership, and CUSA then offered the F_U twins, and whoever else, we should have done our best to gain membership regardless of fees.

My guess is our AD. Too much work to go any further up the food chain(AAC, MWC). When the AAC was starting to organize our admin. should have been doing everything in there to move UNT there. When ECU, Tulsa, Tulane were offered AAC membership, and CUSA then offered the F_U twins, and whoever else, we should have done our best to gain membership regardless of fees.

Do you know that we didn't? The assumption around here is always that no one in the AD is trying to do more and they are satisfied with where we are. Who actually knows what is the real case? The assumption that always accompanies that is that this stuff is easy and that all we have to do is call and our every request will be granted. We may have talked with the folks from the AAC, but they were not looking to add a team in our area or any number of other factors. We can try to do everything we can in order to gain membership. If they decide, for whatever their reasons are, that they don't want us in the conference, there is not much else that we can do.

• Upvote 3

The AAC's advantage is those sweet, sweet NCAA credits. Every game played is about a 1.2 million payout over six years. Last year the AAC had the following teams in:

UCONN (6 games)

Cinci (1 game)

Memphis (2 games)

Tulsa (1 game)

The AAC is going to make ~12 million dollars over the next six years from the 2014 tournament. Of course this money stacks, since the AAC still has the C7 credits going forward for a few more years, the AAC distribution this last year was ~18 million.

The AAC looks to be a multi bid league every year.

However, they already have a team in the North Texas area. Why would they want another, why the hell would SMU want us in the same league? Unless SMU leaves (and I don't see the B12 calling them up any time soon), our best bet is to build up CUSA.

However, they already have a team in the North Texas area. Why would they want another, why the hell would SMU want us in the same league? Unless SMU leaves (and I don't see the B12 calling them up any time soon), our best bet is to build up CUSA.

I would say our best bet is to build up North Texas. We've seen time and time again that the moment a program gets an invite to what is perceived to be a better conference, they're gone. There's no sense of community or responsibility to the greater sum. And I'm not sure there should be. There's only one person to look out for and that's Number One. TCU worried about TCU. It worked out for them. A&M worried about A&M, it paid off. Texas State won't hang back in the Sun Belt if C-USA comes calling.

I think the only BCS conference SMU would ever have a chance of ending up in is the ACC, if it decided to spread its wings and grab at Texas team on its way to a 16-team conference. Their renewed commitment to basketball would be an asset. A&M would bar any move to the SEC; Texas, Baylor, TCU, Tech have no incentive to add another D/FW area program; the academics aren't good enough for the B1G; and the Pac 12 just doesn't seem like a good fit, culturally or academically.

I think the only BCS conference SMU would ever have a chance of ending up in is the ACC, if it decided to spread its wings and grab at Texas team on its way to a 16-team conference.

CFP payout is paid per team, but it is capped at 12. Any teams over twelves just dilute the payout per team. I think the talk of >12 member teams is dead*.

*Of course the CUSA commish is rumored to still want to go to 16 still, but I don't see his reasoning, unless he wants to send the SBC the way of the WAC.

And agree job one is to build up NT, however I think being in a strong conference is a prime way to do that.

• Upvote 1

Do you know that we didn't? The assumption around here is always that no one in the AD is trying to do more and they are satisfied with where we are. Who actually knows what is the real case? The assumption that always accompanies that is that this stuff is easy and that all we have to do is call and our every request will be granted. We may have talked with the folks from the AAC, but they were not looking to add a team in our area or any number of other factors. We can try to do everything we can in order to gain membership. If they decide, for whatever their reasons are, that they don't want us in the conference, there is not much else that we can do.

That isn't the assption, that is an opinion based on underachievement by this AD in this and other areas.

Trying is great.

Succeeding is what should allow one to keep trying.

CFP payout is paid per team, but it is capped at 12. Any teams over twelves just dilute the payout per team. I think the talk of >12 member teams is dead*.

*Of course the CUSA commish is rumored to still want to go to 16 still, but I don't see his reasoning, unless he wants to send the SBC the way of the WAC.

And agree job one is to build up NT, however I think being in a strong conference is a prime way to do that.

It would have made a hell of a lot more sense to implement an 8-team playoff years ago. Then you could have had six 12-team BCS conferences. Each would play one non-conf game (no FCS games) and 11 conference games every year. Each conference's true champion would get one of 6 spots reserved for conference champions with two at-large for highest-ranked non-BCS and another highly-ranked non-champ BCS team.

Then we wouldn't have had the mess of the 2010-13 realignment. And the regular season means everything. You can maintain the spirit of bowl season. And at the end of the day, there's one true champion declared at the end of each season.

But none of it matters now.

• Upvote 1

however I think being in a strong conference is a prime way to do that.

I agree, but I fear we, as a conference, could beat Big XII and SEC teams a couple times a year, and no one's ever going to think highly of a group that includes FAU, FIU, MTSU, WKU, ODU, et. al. Just my opinion. But I'd love to be wrong for once in my life*.

*jokes

That isn't the assption, that is an opinion based on underachievement by this AD in this and other areas.

Trying is great.

Succeeding is what should allow one to keep trying.

To say that the AD must succeed when there are factors out of their control, or even influence, means that you will never be happy with any AD.

My nickle's worth opinion.

NCAA units are real money and stable money (each appearance last six years).

Keeping UAB and plugging in a football only whether it be Army (good for ticket sales, national name), UMass (a warm body but they will give up hoops games to bribe you to take them) or NMSU (fit the west), makes a ton of sense. I just doubt much of anyone in CUSA is comfortable with the precedent.

• Upvote 2

Keeping UAB and plugging in a football only whether it be Army (good for ticket sales, national name), UMass (a warm body but they will give up hoops games to bribe you to take them) or NMSU (fit the west), makes a ton of sense. I just doubt much of anyone in CUSA is comfortable with the precedent.

I'd love to have Army back in the C-USA fold. I would assume you'd have to put them in the East, send someone else West.

Of course, this would also put RV back on the OOC scheduling trail...

Just imagine if we got Incarnate Word and Directional Oklahoma School of Wind Energy University back to back at home. Man, 2-0 start, NFL Blitz-like stats, our fanbase would be in a tizzy

I'd love to have Army back in the C-USA fold. I would assume you'd have to put them in the East, send someone else West.

Of course, this would also put RV back on the OOC scheduling trail...

• Upvote 2

Breaking down the potential UAB transfers

QB Cody Clements (Jr.) — The dual-threat quarterback started 11 games this season and posted a 6–5 record with a 14-to-7 interception ratio. I have a theory that new head coaches will always chase their type of quarterback once hired. Clements would be a home run, given the fact that he has college experience. He’s a junior-college kid who started his career at Washington State. What makes sense: The FBS schools should be there. Paul Wuff — the coach he committed to at Wazzou — is now the offensive coordinator at USF, and they have plenty of quarterback issues. Then there are the schools that will have new coaches like UNLV, Buffalo, Tulsa, and Kansas.

QB Jeremiah Briscoe (R-Fr.) — Same thing as Clements. Coaches are always after quarterbacks and Briscoe has experience. He threw for 231 yards and two touchdowns at Mississippi State earlier this year. What makes sense: Any Texas school. Briscoe is from Houston, and was a true gray shirt that delayed enrollment because of an injury. He has three years to play three.

Great article, this guy breaks down the entire roster.

• Upvote 1

Just to contrast what a hack job that 15 page Carr report was, compare it to the 63 page JMU report or the 123 page Rice report over the very same subject.

JMU even paid the same consultants so it's just not a matter of style. Decision on UAB was pre-made and they were instructed on how to find.

Edited by Cerebus

Just to contrast what a hack job that 15 page Carr report was, compare it to the 63 page JMU report or the 123 page Rice report over the very same subject.

JMU even paid the same consultants so it's just not a matter of style. Decision on UAB was pre-made and they were instructed on how to find.

The whole process is a joke, but of course they can't just come flat out and say we'd rather use the money going towards your football program to buy Bama a LED light show that plays every time the players enter the locker room.

I would gut the Belt,take USA,U.La.La., and A-State, and expand to 16 schools, based upon the impact it has on our conference t.v. contract. If it is financially doable, this would give us UTEP,UTSA,Rice,La. Tech,U. La. La.,A- State,So. Miss., and North Texas in the West.Once you get to 14 schools, why not 16?

• Upvote 1

I would gut the Belt,take USA,U.La.La., and A-State, and expand to 16 schools, based upon the impact it has on our conference t.v. contract. If it is financially doable, this would give us UTEP,UTSA,Rice,La. Tech,U. La. La.,A- State,So. Miss., and North Texas in the West.Once you get to 14 schools, why not 16?

Oh man, I would LOOOVE to Karl Benson kill off another conference. That guy is the premier incompetent asshat of college football.

• Upvote 2

This idea is actually not a bad one wardly. I have had some others whose opinion I trust tell me the same. It boils down to the next TV contract and what Banowsky is able to negotiate. People will say too many mouths to feed however, if the TV networks pony up the cashola it could work.

Not a bad idea. I would sub Texas State for USA, but otherwise I like it. It keeps the Belt at bay and makes sure that another round of realignment would not kill the conference.

• Upvote 2

This idea is actually not a bad one wardly. I have had some others whose opinion I trust tell me the same. It boils down to the next TV contract and what Banowsky is able to negotiate. People will say too many mouths to feed however, if the TV networks pony up the cashola it could work.

Do it and stake the heart and the financial picture with CFP has to change. Currently CFP distributes $59 million (and has an extra $1 million earmarked) to conferences based on being an FBS conference. That pool is capped at $12 million per league. No reason that couldn't become $15 million per league if there are 4 leagues instead of 5.

There is another $24 million in performance bonus. One share is $1.6 million. Highest rated league gets 5 shares, lowest one share. If there are four leagues that would be $2.4 million per share with top league taking four shares and lowest one.

If CUSA is #3 this year share of CFP is $16.8 million (with performance bonus). If SBC were put out of business and the same principles applied and CUSA stayed third CFP share would be $19.8 million.

Edited by Arkstfan
  • Upvote 3

UAB coach Bill Clark: 'Nobody would take a job thinking the program could be taken away'

"Anybody with any sense knows that nobody would take a job thinking the program could be taken away at the end of the year," Clark told AL.com. "Any common-sense person knows I would not throw my career away.

"You don't have to think I'm a genius, but look at my record. You've got to think I've at least got walking-around sense."
---
Clark said the players have been given blanket releases to talk to any other school, including those in the Football Bowl Subdivision, about transferring and being eligible to play immediately. Coaches from other schools already have arrived in Birmingham to begin recruiting those players.
---
"I'm appreciative, and I'm not saying I won't consider it down the road, but I want to stay at this FBS level," he said. "I had a great job at the FCS level at Jacksonville State. That's why I left my alma mater, to get to this level."

One possibility: If he doesn't get the right head coaching offer at the FBS level, Clark said, he would consider a defensive coordinator position.

"I've had guys call me about that," he said, "but I really want to continue as a head coach."

Clark didn't want to talk about specific schools, but it's believed that he's on a short list of candidates at Auburn for that position if Gus Malzahn's top target, Will Muschamp, turns it down.