UNT hosts Incarnate Word in 2018?

Harry

If all of our alumni donated the SEC would be chomping at the bit to get us in their conference. In time we would be a financial powerhouse with a giant diehard fan base that would be packing the house at 110% capacity in a newly renovated 55k seat Apogee Stadium. But I don't know if I would like this bc I wouldn't be able to talk with unimportant people within the athletic department to make me feel important.

Regardless of which method we'd prefer, let's settle this very simply: if it's so easy to get all of the alumni to donate, then how's it going so far?

Life ain't easy, at least for most of us.

My job isn't easy, yet I'm still expected to get results. I'd bet it's the same for you at work. If we don't get results, we face conciquences, no matter the reason.

That is just life, and should be life for the UNT AD.

It'd probably be easier if they had a "quick donate" thing like political candidates have now. Put it on a secure portion of the website and you can click what you want it to go towards:

-Athletics

-General Scholarship Fund

-Department or College/School (fill in the field with Department/College name)

-$3.00

-$5.00

-$10.00

-$20.00

-$50.00

-$100.00

-Some other amount (fill in the field)

I also mentioned to them, as well as Johnny Quinn, to check out eBay Giving Works. I believe any tax-exempt organization can get set up with them, and you can choose to have between 10%-100% of your sales go to the organization of your choice. I'd be all over that, because I give 10% to ebay anyway so I might as well give 10% to something that matters. The problem with doing it in a lump is I get a payment here, payment there so of course the money in the Paypal account is gone by the end of the month. If I could click "UNT" then I would never see that money anyway.

Plus, if they set up the eBay thing, they could advertise it to alumni as an easy way to donate. Call it the "online garage sale to benefit UNT" or something. Tell everybody "Hey, you can go through all your old junk, sell it on eBay, and have the sale price donated to the general scholarship fund" or something. You could probably set up a separate one for Athletics. Why not? It doesn't cost anything. Keep it updated every time it expires and keep mentioning it in the mass emails or mailers a couple of times a year. It might only generate a few thousand, but what if it makes more? What if that's a million bucks in scholarship and athletics funds waiting to happen?

details like...geography?

I know it's hard for you to grasp the greater meaning, so I'll explain for you in simple terms.

This year, I have come to UNT, tailgated with food bought outside of Denton, and gone home.

In years past, I have gotten a hotel room for one game a year.

So, the economic benefit of my existence far more favors UNT than the City of Denton.

Of course, if they had built the hotel and convention center, I had planned to use it for 3 to 4 home games a year. They didn't, I won't.

And yes, I know they collect a menial tax from me for tickets and what ever I buy in the game. Again, peanuts compared to what UNT gets from me.

So to surmise, yes, I return to UNT, not to Denton. And the City of Denton just keeps on making sure it stays that way.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I know it's hard for you to grasp the greater meaning, so I'll explain for you in simple terms.

This year, I have come to UNT, tailgated with food bought outside of Denton, and gone home.

In years past, I have gotten a hotel room for one game a year.

So, the economic benefit of my existence far more favors UNT than the City of Denton.

Of course, if they had built the hotel and convention center, I had planned to use it for 3 to 4 home games a year. They didn't, I won't.

And yes, I know they collect a menial tax from me for tickets and what ever I buy in the game. Again, peanuts compared to what UNT gets from me.

So to surmise, yes, I return to UNT, not to Denton. And the City of Denton just keeps on making sure it stays that way.

don't you worry...nothing you've ever put out here on the board has been difficult for me to grasp. the content anyway. the logic...well...

the balance of you post might (might) be one of the saddest of your (wow) over 16,000. this principled stance you feel you're taking toward Denton based on the narrative of it's lack of support for UNT and it's lack for a want of growth is not really rooted in any sort of reality. the city supports the school. Denton businesses, many of them owned and operated by UNT alumni, support the school. could it be more? sure. could the school do a whole lot more to garner that additional support? ya...I'd say so. you keep referencing TCU and Ft. Worth (a city 4 times the size of Denton) and their fantastic relationship. I'm really glad Ft. Worth is so proud of TCU...and all it really took was moving to the Big 12 and winning the Rose Bowl. 10+ years ago, despite the fact TCU was still churning out ranked teams and Heisman candidates in the WAC/MWC, there were comparable promotions efforts to what you'll see in and around Denton and one could walk up to a game, buy a GA ticket and find a nice open spot in the lower bowl on the 40 yard line.

as for growth...perhaps you should drive around town next time you're up (I mean, assuming you don't have a principled stance against using Denton roads). Denton has grown and is growing considerably...on the square, up university drive, down 288. as was pointed out in the actual convention center thread, that particular project was looking more economic boondoggle than boon. Denton views itself in a position to grow selectively rather indiscriminately...chose the right project in the right place that best suits the needs and wants of the citizenry rather than making bottom-line exclusive decisions. and that selectivity has apparently been quite successful as it continues to garner the town local, national and now international recognition as place of interest and tourist destination. there are more than enough cities and towns in this world who chose to grow just for the sake of growth...many of us happy to find places that effort to balance their growth with the aesthetic that made them appealing in the first place. really, it's just your loss in the end

• Upvote 6

don't you worry...nothing you've ever put out here on the board has been difficult for me to grasp. the content anyway. the logic...well...

the balance of you post might (might) be one of the saddest of your (wow) over 16,000. this principled stance you feel you're taking toward Denton based on the narrative of it's lack of support for UNT and it's lack for a want of growth is not really rooted in any sort of reality. the city supports the school. Denton businesses, many of them owned and operated by UNT alumni, support the school. could it be more? sure. could the school do a whole lot more to garner that additional support? ya...I'd say so. you keep referencing TCU and Ft. Worth (a city 4 times the size of Denton) and their fantastic relationship. I'm really glad Ft. Worth is so proud of TCU...and all it really took was moving to the Big 12 and winning the Rose Bowl. 10+ years ago, despite the fact TCU was still churning out ranked teams and Heisman candidates in the WAC/MWC, there were comparable promotions efforts to what you'll see in and around Denton and one could walk up to a game, buy a GA ticket and find a nice open spot in the lower bowl on the 40 yard line.

as for growth...perhaps you should drive around town next time you're up (I mean, assuming you don't have a principled stance against using Denton roads). Denton has grown and is growing considerably...on the square, up university drive, down 288. as was pointed out in the actual convention center thread, that particular project was looking more economic boondoggle than boon. Denton views itself in a position to grow selectively rather indiscriminately...chose the right project in the right place that best suits the needs and wants of the citizenry rather than making bottom-line exclusive decisions. and that selectivity has apparently been quite successful as it continues to garner the town local, national and now international recognition as place of interest and tourist destination. there are more than enough cities and towns in this world who chose to grow just for the sake of growth...many of us happy to find places that effort to balance their growth with the aesthetic that made them appealing in the first place. really, it's just your loss in the end

Again, you miss the point completely.

Not surprised.

I don't have an axe to grind with the City of Denton. There is just no reason to spend my money in Denton, so I don't. They seem to go out of there way to discourage people from wanting to spend money in their city, which is their prerogative. Fine.

It's a lot like the AD, actually. Maybe it's a Denton County cultural thing.

You guys are so funny. It's so easy to tell when I am getting under your skin.

(smiles to self contently).

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 3

Not surprised.

I don't have an axe to grind with the City of Denton. There is just no reason to spend my money in Denton, so I don't. They seem to go out of there way to discourage people from wanting to spend money in their city, which is their prerogative. Fine.

You clearly haven't been to the square (and the area around it) in the last 4-5 years.

Since the University of the Incarnate Word was founded in 1881 by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word, does this means we will literally be playing the sisters of the poor?

Sorry, Withers. We were premature in deciding you'd solved this thread.

THIS is the correct answer. +1 this man, everyone.

Not surprised.

http://download.lardlad.com/sounds/season3/flaming7.mp3

• Upvote 1