First "official" top 25 out

TheColonyEagle

Tanking attendance numbers in the P5 will just tank that much faster if they start exclusively playing each other. Fans don't and won't want to go watch their 3-3 team. Fans do want to go watch their 5-1 team though. Administrations won't go for that and some can't afford to go for that. I do see FCS being taken completely out of the picture in the very near future.

Disagree with this.

Some P5 teams already have issues selling out games vs G5. What's a bigger draw in September? Alabama vs Florida Atlantic? or Alabama vs Michigan St. And the reward for the team that wins that matchup is huge in regards to the playoff.

The committee is making it clear. A 3-3 team that has losses vs P5 teams is going to get rewarded more than a 5-1 team with body bag wins. And if a 3-3 team turns into 8-3 later in the year.....they'll be ranked higher which will equal attendance.

Edited by TheColonyEagle

All the P5 schools want this until they realize that they will be the new G5 (I'm looking at you Kansas).

Perhaps.....but the question is, would they rather go 5-7 consistently in the new D1 or go 11-1 in the lower level.

My guess is they would rather be up with the big boys. It's not about wins it's about $.

Perhaps.....but the question is, would they rather go 5-7 consistently in the new D1 or go 11-1 in the lower level.

My guess is they would rather be up with the big boys. It's not about wins it's about $.

Would they rather go 11-1 in the lower level (not sure they would) or 1-11 where they are? I doubt that they are going to be able to have a consistent 5-7 record. Their struggles will get worse without the ability to schedule some teams that are below their level. And wins mean more money. They start losing all their games, people will stop showing up and their games will be relegated to second tier TV. They will become the new G5 and eventually written out of the proceedings. It can't be done now because the handful pulling the strings need the numbers and votes to make it happen.

It'll hold up because as soon as Auburn or Ole Miss lose Alabama will slide into their place. When Big 12 or Pac 12 teams lose to each other it's because they're no good, when SEC teams do it it's because the conference is "just so strong".

Also a big LAWL for anyone saying Baylor's OOC is weak but still carrying the SEC's water.

Baylor's OOC is terrible--they are getting what they deserve by scheduling SMU, NW State, and Buffalo. TCU beat Minnesota, K-State lost a close game to Auburn, and OU beat Tennessee. Hell, West Virginia lost a close game to Bama and Okie Lite played FSU tough in their opener. Playing the sisters of the poor in OOC never helps you gain ground when you are competing for top bowl slots or now, playoff slots. It never helped Tech when leach was there, it never helped K-State back when Snyder only played non-AQ schools in OOC, and it killed Auburn when they had a perfect record in 2004, but couldn't jump OU or USC in the polls becuase they played someone in OOC.

As far as the SEC, I hate them as much as anyone, but I also understand that Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss,and Miss State are all probably as good as anyone else in the country. Those top SEC West teams (including LSU at home) or just better than most others out there right now, The rest of the SEC gets credited with being associated with those 4 right now, but that's how it usually goes in these things. Any of those teams are undefeated in the Big Ten, Big 12, and maybe the ACC right now. Florida State hasn't shown me one reason to believe they would beat one of those SEC power teams on a neutral field. Nor have Oregon, Michigan State, Notre Dame, TCU, or K-State. Mississippi State has been, to this point, the best team I've watched this season. Auburn has the best road win this season in the country, even if you argue that K-State gave it to them. They still won in Manhattan on a Thursday night on ESPN. And Bama appears to have gotten their wheels back on as they prepare for home games against Miss State and Auburn, along with a road game at LSU. I'd be willing to bet that when it is all said and done, though, the committee is going to spread this playoff to 4 conferences, not three, if just to keep everyone as happy as possible. If I was guessing right now, I'd take FSU, Alabama, Michigan State, and Oregon as the Final Four. As I have thought all along, the Big XII is probably the lone man out, at this point, unless KSU wins out and Auburn does as well. Baylor had to go undefeaeted to get in, which didn't happen. And OU was ranked high enough to start that they could've suffered a loss and still gotten into the playoff because of their name, but with two losses now, they are done. I suspect that KSU will lose at TCU or Baylor, though, so they will be out no matter what. And I suspect that TCU will lose at West Virginia to knock them out. And Baylor can win out, but that OOC schedule just dooms them.

This is UNT Football related because we have gotten big paychecks from some of these teams mentioned above in the last 20 years...

All the P5 schools want this until they realize that they will be the new G5 (I'm looking at you Kansas).

Kansas will always be P5 because of their basketball program and because they are the main school of the state that has AAU membership. The P5 schools that will eventually get dropped would be your small private schools--Wake Forest, Baylor, TCU, Vandy, and maybe a school like Northwestern, although I doubt that the B1G will let go of the Chicago market team that they like playing every year. Duke will always be P5 becuase of their hoops tradition as a national power, as well. Those other four are looking down the barrel of a gun, especially Baylor and TCU. Those two are basically stuck when the Big XII breaks up.

• Upvote 1

Would they rather go 11-1 in the lower level (not sure they would) or 1-11 where they are? I doubt that they are going to be able to have a consistent 5-7 record. Their struggles will get worse without the ability to schedule some teams that are below their level. And wins mean more money. They start losing all their games, people will stop showing up and their games will be relegated to second tier TV. They will become the new G5 and eventually written out of the proceedings. It can't be done now because the handful pulling the strings need the numbers and votes to make it happen.

Could be.

But no one is showing up to their games now.

Seems to me there's the P5. And there's the "real P5" which is about 30 teams. The UTs, Ohio States, and Alabamas still need the Kansas, Iowa States, and Kentuckys of the world. Maybe the body bag games will just involve P5 doormats instead of G5 teams. Doesn't matter because the money isn't being shared with as many teams anymore. The bad P5 teams will still be bad P5 teams they'll just get more money now. But they have a chance still to hit lightening in a bottle once every 15 years and get a shot. I would think they would live with that.

• Upvote 1

Strength of schedule must not be THAT important. All of the undefeated teams are ranked ahead of the 1 loss teams, all 1 loss ahead of 2 loss, etc. East Carolina and Duke are the only exceptions to this.

To me there are several 1 loss teams that have played a much more difficult schedule than Fla. St., but they aren't ranked ahead of them. This tells me that wins are more important than SOS.

These team are obviously down the rankings, but I'm way more impressed with 2 loss teams, OU, LSU, and K.St. than I am with 1 loss Ohio St. Check out that Ohio St. schedule and make a list of schools who'd be undefeated playing that gauntlet. I'm thinking the top 5-6 Big 12 teams, 6-7 SEC teams, and 5-6 Pac 12 teams could easily be undefeated playing that weak schedule.

And Miss State's isn't?

Mississippi State didn't start the season off as a top ten team, like Baylor was. Also, playing Alabama, Auburn, LSU, A&M, Arkansas, and Ole Miss is way more stout than playing this year's Big XII. MSU could afford a weaker OOC schedule when you play in the best division in the country.

• Upvote 1

Mississippi State didn't start the season off as a top ten team, like Baylor was. Also, playing Alabama, Auburn, LSU, A&M, Arkansas, and Ole Miss is way more stout than playing this year's Big XII. MSU could afford a weaker OOC schedule when you play in the best division in the country.

Not sure what Miss. St. not starting the season as a top team has to do with it.

And I don't think I'd say the SEC West is "way more stout" than the Big 12. Auburn was lucky to beat K. St. on a night when K.St didn't play well. OU is currently 5th place in the conference and they should have beaten K.St. on a night when they didn't play great (and missed a 19 yd field goal that would have won the game). In addition, OU beat Tennessee worse than any SEC school besides Ole Miss.

Give me the top 5 teams from each conference and I'll take my chances that the Big 12 doesn't embarrass itself...which would surely be the case if the SEC was way more stout than the Big 12.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm sorry, but no. The top 5 teams from the SEC will beat the top 5 from the Big12.

Miss St v KState--Miss St

AU v TCU-- AU

Alabama v OU--Bama

Ole Miss v Baylor--Ole Miss

UGA (w/ Gurley) v whoever else--Georgia.

Big12 might win one of those, maybe. The middle of the pack to bottom of the SEC would slaughter the middle of the pack to bottom Big12. The Big12 really has to add a couple more universities to their conference. 10 just isn't going to get it done long term.

• Downvote 5

I'm sorry, but no. The top 5 teams from the SEC will beat the top 5 from the Big12.

AU v TCU-- AU

Alabama v OU--Bama

Georgia would be a lock over "whoever else"..... as for every other game on that list? Tossup at best, at least in my opinion. I'm probably picking the home team in each matchup.

AU v TCU-- AU

Alabama v OU--Bama

Big12 might win one of those, maybe. The middle of the pack to bottom of the SEC would slaughter the middle of the pack to bottom Big12. The Big12 really has to add a couple more universities to their conference. 10 just isn't going to get it done long term.

The SEC might win every one of those games, but I think they'd all be good games. Thus my stance that the SEC isn't "way more stout" than the Big 12 (or the Pac 12).

If I'm being honest, I think 5 evenly matched games like the ones you listed would probably result in a 2-3 record for one conference and a 3-2 record for the other. None of the games should be blowouts barring unlikely circumstances.

Also, Georgia vs. W. Va. is hardly a gimme for the SEC.

Kind of hard to compare "middle of the pack" since the SEC has so many more teams, but are you really confident that Vandy would easily handle Kansas or Iowa St.? I might give you Kansas because they're pretty weak, but I'll take Iowa St. over Vandy.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 4

Put all of those teams on a neutral field versus one another and see what happens. This is an argument that has played out over time. Go look at Big12 v SEC bowl match ups.

That Bama v OU game last year was a fluke of flukes. OU's play on the field is proving that. Bama crushes them this year if they were to play. And you can't really pick and choose who would play Vandy. The match up would need to be worse v worse, and I would give the edge to Vandy over KU.

I am not even a SEC advocate. Just calling it how I see it.

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Downvote 5

Take out the bottom 4 teams of the SEC, just so you can make it 10 versus 10 in the SEC versus the Big 12. Now think neutral field...

Mississippi State (#1) versus TCU (#6)--I could see TCU winning here

Auburn (#3) versus K-State (#9)--already saw Auburn beat K-State in Manhattan, doesn't matter how bad KSU played that night, they still lost...

Alabama (#4) versus Baylor (#10)--Bama would beat this bunch up on both sides of the ball, plus Baylor would never stop Bama's running game

Ole Miss (#10) versus Oklahoma (#16)--This is one I think Oklahoma would win, since Ole Miss just lost their best receiver

LSU (#14) versus West Virginia (#24)--I think LSU's running game and defense would be too much on a neutral field

Georgia (#17) versus Oklahoma State (no votes received)--Georgia in a nailbiter--OSU is just too young. If Gurley played for UGa, I'd like the Dawgs even more...

Mizzou (Receiving Votes) versus Texas (no votes received)--wouldn't be close, Mizzou would hammer them--Texas has no offense and their special teams are only special for the other team, unless they are playing...

Florida (Receiving 1 vote) versus Texas Tech (no votes received)--Texas Tech is the worst team not named Kansas in the league, probably one of the five worst P5 teams in the country. Texas pummelled them in Lubbock...Texas...

Texas A&M (Receiving 1 vote) versus Iowa State (no votes received)--A&M would score a lot of points on ISU, but would give up a lot of points. It would probably look like the ISU game in Austin from a few weeks ago, a close loss in a shootout

Kentucky (no votes received, but a 5-4 record) versus Kansas (no votes received)--this should be a basketball game instead...

This is not counting South Carolina at 4-5, Tennessee at 4-5, Arkansas at 4-5 (crushed Tech in Lubbock, yet to win a game in the SEC), or Vanderbilt at 3-6. I'd take everyone of these teams against the last 4 teams of the Big XII in head-to-head on a neutral field.

• Upvote 1

Watched this stupid top 25 show... sure seems like in past years a non p5 school that was undefeated was ranked in the past, regardless of schedule. I am becoming less and less of a fan of college football. With our stupid ticket office motivating me to drop my season tickets for the first time in 10 years, I am the least interested in college football I have been in my entire life.

• Upvote 2

Watched this stupid top 25 show... sure seems like in past years a non p5 school that was undefeated was ranked in the past, regardless of schedule. I am becoming less and less of a fan of college football. With our stupid ticket office motivating me to drop my season tickets for the first time in 10 years, I am the least interested in college football I have been in my entire life.

Too much money involved for those "experts" to throw an undefeated G5 in the top 25. In the event that everyone kept losing and that undefeated kept winning they would be obligated to move them up or credibility would start to fall. So why take the risk? They scream SOS unless it doesn't fit their agenda, then they say they go by the "eye" test, whatever that means. To have a committee individually tied to separate P5 schools makes the whole thing kind of a joke.

But hey, at least Condaleeza Rice can contribute her extensive football knowledge and experience into this committee.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5