DRC Monday column: No denying it now -- UNT misses Thompson

Brett Vito

I think it boils down to a lack of playmakers at receiver at the moment. I think Kidsy is going to be good, but none of the receivers save Harris are able to consistently get open. OL is not playing particularly well. RB's are missing blocking assignments. Lots of problems right now on offense, and that compounds the QB inexperience issue.

This is the issue. Would DT fair as well this year, assuming that everything else was constant? We lost a lot of production at WR. We lost our top RB. Last year, when DT made a mistake, he knew that the defense would have his back and that is not the case this year. Assuming that he would be the only difference on this team from last year, I don't think the results would be that different. Our OL would still be struggling, our defense still shaky, our WRs (exception Harris) still not getting open and making plays, and our special teams would still not be as productive. Thompson was a good QB and led us to a great season, but I don't think that he would be able to change the fortunes of this year's team drastically. We may have been able to get one (maybe two if everything fell right) more wins, but I still still think that this season would not look very different and would still be disappointing after what we got last year. DT was a good player for us, but he needed talent around him to succeed and we just aren't playing like that this year.

• Upvote 1

This is the issue. Would DT fair as well this year, assuming that everything else was constant? We lost a lot of production at WR. We lost our top RB. Last year, when DT made a mistake, he knew that the defense would have his back and that is not the case this year. Assuming that he would be the only difference on this team from last year, I don't think the results would be that different. Our OL would still be struggling, our defense still shaky, our WRs (exception Harris) still not getting open and making plays, and our special teams would still not be as productive. Thompson was a good QB and led us to a great season, but I don't think that he would be able to change the fortunes of this year's team drastically. We may have been able to get one (maybe two if everything fell right) more wins, but I still still think that this season would not look very different and would still be disappointing after what we got last year. DT was a good player for us, but he needed talent around him to succeed and we just aren't playing like that this year.

This is why I'm annoyed Brett decided to waste everyone's time by writing this article. Sure, we miss DT's ball protection and average production, but with the way our horrid defense is playing and special teams not producing TDs/short fields on a consistent basis it wouldn't matter. We'd still be sitting here at 2-6 (MAYBE 3-5) questioning Mac's recruiting tactics and coaching philosophy.

Instead of exaggerating Thompson's respectable senior season, Vito should focus on asking/writing about why we can't seem to recruit a quality QB or defensive linemen who can provide a pass rush in conference play. And no, I wouldn't accept Mac's sorry excuse of "it's hard to recruit to UNT." If there's anyone who knows how much more Mac has to work with compared to previous coaches it's Vito.

• Upvote 2

We do miss Thompson. I'm quite confident that if he were on the roster this season, he would be the best option. However, all of this is a misdirection away from the point that our defense is worlds behind last year's. On the road against one of the better teams in the conference, we scored 21 points. That point total last year would have won 8 games and sent another into overtime.

I know, I know. . . the pick six hurt. The inconsistency on offense also puts the defense in some bad situations. But, you could also say that inept defense puts the offense in difficult situations where they have to desperately try to make a big play instead of playing it safe. Allowing an 88 yard touchdown pass on the first play of the game should tell us everything we need to know about the state of the defense. For that past few weeks our defense has looked horrible even in the early stretches of the game before fatigue and offensive ineffectiveness could be considered factors.

Thompson might not have been elite, but the numbers overwhelmingly show he performed better than this season's trio:

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20141026-vito-north-texas-struggles-to-fill-qb-void.ece

Thank you, Mr. Vito.

And that was the whole point of the preseason post: that we would miss Derek Thompson.

Not that he was the best college QB of all time ever. Not even that he was the best QB at UNT.

Several posted on here that we would not miss a beat, and may even be better at QB. I posted that we would miss DT and asked them to check back midseason.

Imagine my shock when these same folks refused to admit what was so blatantly obvious (we have used 3 QBs, for Ramon's sake) and then used the brilliant argument "well, the defense sucks, so you are wrong."

So friggin stupid, especially when these same people were extolling the greatness of that defense leading the nation in sacks after Nicholls St. (And when I tried to point out those numbers were skewed and there was a lot to be concerned about on defense, the same people lined up to BBQ me).

I really hate that I was correct on this. I was hoping either Greer or DW would take the reins and prove me 100% wrong. I wish the defense had stiffened against UAB, USM, and Rice.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

He might be. But that doesn't mean we should miss him. Appreciate him for what he did, sure.

We should appreciate him because he worked his tail off, got the maximum output out of his ability, always played hard, was extremely tough, helped us win 9 games and a bowl, represented the university well, or any other reason you want.

In his redshirt senior year we were able to surround him with the best defense and best special teams in the conference, some good skill players and a solid line, and we were unable to win our division and he wasn't even named honorable mention all conference. You can easily blame playcalling or coaching as well, but this program and fanbase should seek and want a division title and, eventually, a conference title. He wasn't able to get that done. Obviously neither have our current guys this year. But we need to move forward and find that guy. Not keep dwelling on a guy whose career is over.

We've also seen Mcnulty give us two games very similar to what DT gave us, on an average conference game, and we couldn't beat one of the worst teams in conference at home, and got blown out on the road. Our team is down, not just qb position.

It's also disgusting how far this agenda has been pushed. It's like "say you miss DT or you're a DT hater and didn't appreciate what he did." No, that's ridiculous. Whether it's a decrease in qb production or a lateral transition, neither are going to get us where we need to go. So stop pushing this and make it seem like people don't appreciate DT, just because they want to see this team strive to get someone to surpass him.

A lot has been exposed this year. DT's departure has shown this staff's inability to find a ready replacement, and the departure of a lot of those Dodge guys has revealed that our recruiting in the early years under Coach Mccarney did not produce enough guys ready to replace a lot of starters from a bowl team. We all have to move forward, including this coaching staff, and not just be content with last season being the pinnacle of mean green football.

This.

This is the changing the argument that I mentioned before.

It has nothing to do with defense. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT QB PLAY!

Stop using a distraction technique to avoid the truth.

• Downvote 1

This.

This is the changing the argument that I mentioned before.

It has nothing to do with defense. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT QB PLAY!

Stop using a distraction technique to avoid the truth.

I don't know how to word it any different to you. Our qb play has regressed. Yes. That's not what anyone is arguing*. That doesn't mean we should miss him. Maybe DT would lead us to 5-7 or 4-8 as opposed to possibly 3-9 or 2-10 this year. Who in the college football world cares? Playing in CUSA, it's the same thing to everyone but North Texas fans. Recruits don't even care. If they like a school and coaching staff, even 2-10 and 5-7 are not different. Or even 6-6. Bottom or middle of the conference doesn't really impress recruits more than the other. To the majority of them, you're either at the top of the conference or you aren't. After that it just comes down to the non-football factors and who can successfully sell the program to that recruit.

We're trying to take a step up as a program. We need to find someone who can be an all-conference qb and can lead us to a division championship, so we can be relevant and progress. Not just look back at last year as the best this program can ever hope to do. DT wasn't that guy. Whether or not we have that guy on our current roster doesn't change that. Which is why I don't see any point in missing DT. As well as the fact that he is done with his career.

*before you say I was arguing that by saying Mcnulty showed us the last two games how we'd be doing with DT, that was not a response to whether or not we miss DT. Just merely that they were DT like numbers and they didn't really prove to be a difference maker for this team. I'm not going to get into the playcalling debate with you.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 4

I don't know how to word it any different to you. Our qb play has regressed. Yes. That's not what anyone is arguing*. That doesn't mean we should miss him. Maybe DT would lead us to 5-7 or 4-8 as opposed to possibly 3-9 or 2-10 this year.

And you could have stopped right there, because that is the only thing this argument has ever been about. Whether this team would be better with DT at the helm.

Everything else is justification.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And you could have stopped right there, because that is the only thing this argument has ever been about. Whether this team would be better with DT at the helm.

Everything else is justification.

Ultimately what it comes down to is that people have different feelings and opinions on the word "miss." That's the word you have used. Not whether this team would be better with him. But to you, it's the same thing. If we would be better with him, then we miss him. That's why, to you, that's all this argument has ever been about.

To other people, who feel differently about the word "miss," they don't feel like they miss him because, to them, we would maybe be marginally better at best and it alone wouldn't be enough to make this a winning season. So they don't miss him. Some people are also more concerned with the future and seeing if we have someone who can take us to the next level. Not being fixated on someone who had a solid career and won us a bowl.

The reason people are getting so annoyed with this is because you (and Vito, to a degree) are incessantly trying to get people to have the same opinion as you. And agree that we miss him, when we might have different opinions on what the word means altogether. There's no need in rehashing this constantly.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

Ultimately what it comes down to is that people have different feelings and opinions on the word "miss." That's the word you have used. Not whether this team would be better with him. But to you, it's the same thing. If we would be better with him, then we miss him. That's why, to you, that's all this argument has ever been about.

To other people, who feel differently about the word "miss," they don't feel like they miss him because, to them, we would maybe be marginally better at best and it alone wouldn't be enough to make this a winning season. So they don't miss him. Some people are also more concerned with the future and seeing if we have someone who can take us to the next level. Not being fixated on someone who had a solid career and won us a bowl.

The reason people are getting so annoyed with this is because you (and Vito, to a degree) are incessantly trying to get people to have the same opinion as you. And agree that we miss him, when we might have different opinions on what the word means altogether. There's no need in rehashing this constantly.

There is a lot of Bill Clinton in this post.

Just sayin...

• Downvote 7

Thank you, Mr. Vito.

And that was the whole point of the preseason post: that we would miss Derek Thompson.

Not that he was the best college QB of all time ever. Not even that he was the best QB at UNT.

Several posted on here that we would not miss a beat, and may even be better at QB. I posted that we would miss DT and asked them to check back midseason.

Imagine my shock when these same folks refused to admit what was so blatantly obvious (we have used 3 QBs, for Ramon's sake) and then used the brilliant argument "well, the defense sucks, so you are wrong."

So friggin stupid, especially when these same people were extolling the greatness of that defense leading the nation in sacks after Nicholls St. (And when I tried to point out those numbers were skewed and there was a lot to be concerned about on defense, the same people lined up to BBQ me).

I really hate that I was correct on this. I was hoping either Greer or DW would take the reins and prove me 100% wrong. I wish the defense had stiffened against UAB, USM, and Rice.

You really truly believe in your heart DT Would have made a difference? So sad.

• Upvote 1