Mac said it well after the game

Harry

I agree. The whole "it's so hard to recruit here (feel sorry for me, it's not my fault)" is very old and a bad excuse.

I just put up a post addressing this and I think that there is some confusion. I think Mac's "It's hard" is more about where Dodge and predecessors left the program as opposed to the school and facilities and city etc.. Mac constantly praises UNT and the facilities etc... he spends countless hours reaching out to the students, community etc. So I see his comments to be more about the overall legacy and public perception of UNT football up until the point he arrived more than his feelings about where things are today.

I just put up a post addressing this and I think that there is some confusion. I think Mac's "It's hard" is more about where Dodge and predecessors left the program as opposed to the school and facilities and city etc.. Mac constantly praises UNT and the facilities etc... he spends countless hours reaching out to the students, community etc. So I see his comments to be more about the overall legacy and public perception of UNT football up until the point he arrived more than his feelings about where things are today.

Well put, Harry.

• Upvote 1

What did I miss? How did Williams go from savior to not a d1 qb so fast?

He had bad games, yes, but he is a redshirt freshman, and he didn't get the majority of snaps until after week 3. Why is there no faith he will develop? I mean he came in on 3rd and long and had a 20 yard run. I was disappointed that we took him out actually.

McNally hasn't looked flat awful, but he doesn't have anything special either.

• Upvote 2

He had bad games, yes, but he is a redshirt freshman, and he didn't get the majority of snaps until after week 3. Why is there no faith he will develop? I mean he came in on 3rd and long and had a 20 yard run. I was disappointed that we took him out actually.

Dw has D1 talent. Most people who watch football can see that. He needs more experience and needs to put in more work off the field.

If he is playing the same way as a jr. then I would say he is done.

• Upvote 1

Dajon made the cardinal sin of turning the ball over way too much in the Indiana and UAB games and after that he was done. It's a damn shame too because he had some nice moments in both games. He just did not show that he was able to protect the ball worth a damn and that lost him the job.

Minimac has had one turnover in two games played so they addressed it- he may not have as much upside but he does not turn the ball over as much.

Sidenote - we will be better at QB next year with both having played and learned this season. Plus you add Connor Means in the mix. Hope they give Greer a chance to prove himself as well.

This.

Above all else Mac wants a QB who can protect the ball. Doesn't seem to matter that "protect the ball" means we may move it 15 yards or so then punt it away so the net result is the same, especially with our defense, but there's no INTs or fumbles so McNulty keeps the start. For now.

I think Mac's between a rock and a hard place- stick with McNulty who will usually protect the ball but won't light up the opposition, or mix in Dajon knowing that he'll be more explosive and get more yards but has a higher propensity to turn the ball over. Hence why depending on how the game goes Mac will mix it up between the two. I bet if we're down 2+ scores we'll see far more Dajon than McNulty unless Dajon is magically able to blow McNulty away during practice in the next two weeks.

• Upvote 1

Dw has D1 talent. Most people who watch football can see that. He needs more experience and needs to put in more work off the field.

If he is playing the same way as a jr. then I would say he is done.

If he is playing like this in two years then I would say a lot of things are done. His current level of play would likely doom us to no more than 2-3 wins each season.

Dajon made the cardinal sin of turning the ball over way too much in the Indiana and UAB games and after that he was done. It's a damn shame too because he had some nice moments in both games. He just did not show that he was able to protect the ball worth a damn and that lost him the job.

Minimac has had one turnover in two games played so they addressed it- he may not have as much upside but he does not turn the ball over as much.

Sidenote - we will be better at QB next year with both having played and learned this season. Plus you add Connor Means in the mix. Hope they give Greer a chance to prove himself as well.

I am losing faith that we will ever have anything other than average QB play under this offensive staff, and we don't even come close to that this season.

I fear next season won't be much better than this season. I fear we won't have a starter coming out of Spring ball. I fear because right now, at this moment, we don't have a FBS QB on this roster and are counting on the same people who produced no FBS QB this year to produce one next year.

We shall see.

I am losing faith that we will ever have anything other than average QB play under this offensive staff, and we don't even come close to that this season.

I fear next season won't be much better than this season. I fear we won't have a starter coming out of Spring ball. I fear because right now, at this moment, we don't have a FBS QB on this roster and are counting on the same people who produced no FBS QB this year to produce one next year.

We shall see.

So tell me. Down the corridor of your fan years here at NT how many FBS QB's have you watched play for us? And who recruited and developed them....or him as the case may be.

I like the way Derek Thompson played on the field and carried himself off the field.

First, despite having just one go-to guy for the entirety of his career, he became UNT's greatest I-A/FBS quarterback.

Second, he never publicly complained on his twitter account or his facebook.

I miss Derek Thompson as our quarterback. What a mountain we have to climb to find another one like him...even one worthy enough to stand in his legacy's awesome shadow.

These interception-touchdown throwers on the 2014 roster...they're giving me the blues. They'll never lead us to bowl victories or break any records. Sorry to be so truthful.

They all need to transfer out to the Texas A&M-Commerces, Sam Houston States, and Sul Rosses or the football world. I'd wager McMurry and Hardin Simmons will be in need of a quarterback or two in 2015. I'd donate our whole rosterful except Means.

• Downvote 4

I like the way Derek Thompson played on the field and carried himself off the field.

First, despite having just one go-to guy for the entirety of his career, he became UNT's greatest I-A/FBS quarterback.

Second, he never publicly complained on his twitter account or his facebook.

I miss Derek Thompson as our quarterback. What a mountain we have to climb to find another one like him...even one worthy enough to stand in his legacy's awesome shadow.

These interception-touchdown throwers on the 2014 roster...they're giving me the blues. They'll never lead us to bowl victories or break any records. Sorry to be so truthful.

They all need to transfer out to the Texas A&M-Commerces, Sam Houston States, and Sul Rosses or the football world. I'd wager McMurry and Hardin Simmons will be in need of a quarterback or two in 2015. I'd donate our whole rosterful except Means.

DT's best asset was being a field general, he was not a good passer or very mobile, but he was a field general and loved to play hence coming back from several dislocations

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This season is going to be damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-dont.

We cannot keep trotting any of the QB's we have out there & win today... although, we don't really have much of a choice. But, it is of my belief that we have to try.

We cannot just pack it in for this year and look forward to next year. Look forward to what?

The OL is graduating. Akunne is graduating. Jones is graduating. If we're really just going to build & look forward to next year, we'd better sit all those guys too...

And, get ready for this: Are we sure DaJon is the man for the future? He shines sometimes, but good gravy, he values the ball very little.

Lil Mac looked awful... I mean he lost, what? 100yds in sacks? That is inexcusable, and cost us points ...but Terrell. :no: Kidsey, Smiley... anyone not named Harris? :no:

Offensively, just too many problems to blame Lil Mac.

• Upvote 1

So tell me. Down the corridor of your fan years here at NT how many FBS QB's have you watched play for us? And who recruited and developed them....or him as the case may be.

Good point.

But if craphole can find and develop one, we should be able to, also.

The current problem is QB doesn't seem to be a huge priority to this coaching staff.

Good point.

But if craphole can find and develop one, we should be able to, also.

The current problem is QB doesn't seem to be a huge priority to this coaching staff.

Well, I wasn't making a point. I was asking a question. However I take it from your answer that since approximately 1990 you have not seen any QB's play at NT that are FBS level?

IMHO, I've seen at least two and possibly three since 1990. Mitch Maher, Scott Hall, and Giovanni Vizza.

Well, I wasn't making a point. I was asking a question. However I take it from your answer that since approximately 1990 you have not seen any QB's play at NT that are FBS level?

IMHO, I've seen at least two and possibly three since 1990. Mitch Maher, Scott Hall, and Giovanni Vizza.

Scott Hall maybe. Scott Davis should have been an FBS QB.

Vizza is a no. He had one decent year and then wasn't effective, losing his will to play the game.

Scott Hall maybe. Scott Davis should have been an FBS QB.

Vizza is a no. He had one decent year and then wasn't effective, losing his will to play the game.

One decent year you speak of? That sounds familiar. With your concrete opinions of another certain QB I wouldn't expect such a remark.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

TO me, the best QBs we have seen play at UNT since moving up to FBS were Scott Hall and Derek Thompson in his senior year--because they both knew their role on the team and didn't force the ball into traffic that cost the team field position. Of course, they had a bad-ass defense to lean back on, too, as well as strong special teams. So, basically, since 1995, we have two effective bus drivers and...well, that's it.

Vizza and Riley both had their moments here, but they were set up to fail by the offensive scheme. Vizza was probably the most talented QB we have had in that timeframe, but he just got the hell beat out of him because our line was putrid, which basically led him to quit. Riley knew that offense perfectly--but that offense at the college level was never going to make up for the fact that he was too small and fragile for FBS football.

Andrew Smith could've been on the list above, in either category, but we will never know...

The others, Jason Mills, Josh Gulley, Damon West, Jason Attaway, Richard Bridges, Daniel Meager, Matt Phillips, Woody Wilson, Nathan Tune, Josh Greer, Dajon Williams, and Andrew McNulty have had decent games or moments, but none of them made you feel like they were a solid FBS QB that could lead you to a winning record. Some of them were flashes in the pan, some were just not meant to FBS QBs, but none of them made you think we had THE guy at the position.

• Upvote 2

This season is going to be damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-dont.

We cannot keep trotting any of the QB's we have out there & win today... although, we don't really have much of a choice. But, it is of my belief that we have to try.

Are we sure DaJon is the man for the future? He shines sometimes, but good gravy, he values the ball very little.

It would be good if we could find out. Even if dajon plays again, he will make mistakes and throw picks. He will get confused and take sacks.

Some on here blame Mac, but then come on here with the same old school mentality. A freshman and soph qb is not going to play like a Jr or sr. that is common sense.

people praise DT and said he wasnt working with a lot...ok, lets be consistient then. If DT wasnt working with a lot, then dajon and mini are working with less.

• Upvote 1

There were several passes that either clanged off a defenders hands or the receiver knocked down to keep it away from a defender. McNulty has played in parts of three years now, and has never finished a season with more TDs than INTs.

He has more INTs than TDs in THIS YEAR, in which the coaching staff is trying to sell us his ability to not turn over the ball.

Even taking away the Nicholls game DW has a better TD/INT ratio than McNulty!

• Upvote 2

It would be good if we could find out. Even if dajon plays again, he will make mistakes and throw picks. He will get confused and take sacks.

Some on here blame Mac, but then come on here with the same old school mentality. A freshman and soph qb is not going to play like a Jr or sr. that is common sense.

people praise DT and said he wasnt working with a lot...ok, lets be consistient then. If DT wasnt working with a lot, then dajon and mini are working with less.

A young, mistake prone QB has to be put in the best possible position to not make mistakes. Our offensive coaching staff has not done that at all. They have given him too many reads, not near enough safe high % throws and they are in and run out of shotgun way, way too much. It has been distrustingly hard to watch the play calling and personnel decisions this year. Canales seems like a decent man, but he's gotta go immediately following the utsa game. GMG
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

TO me, the best QBs we have seen play at UNT since moving up to FBS were Scott Hall and Derek Thompson in his senior year--because they both knew their role on the team and didn't force the ball into traffic that cost the team field position. Of course, they had a bad-ass defense to lean back on, too, as well as strong special teams. So, basically, since 1995, we have two effective bus drivers and...well, that's it.

Vizza and Riley both had their moments here, but they were set up to fail by the offensive scheme. Vizza was probably the most talented QB we have had in that timeframe, but he just got the hell beat out of him because our line was putrid, which basically led him to quit. Riley knew that offense perfectly--but that offense at the college level was never going to make up for the fact that he was too small and fragile for FBS football.

Andrew Smith could've been on the list above, in either category, but we will never know...

The others, Jason Mills, Josh Gulley, Damon West, Jason Attaway, Richard Bridges, Daniel Meager, Matt Phillips, Woody Wilson, Nathan Tune, Josh Greer, Dajon Williams, and Andrew McNulty have had decent games or moments, but none of them made you feel like they were a solid FBS QB that could lead you to a winning record. Some of them were flashes in the pan, some were just not meant to FBS QBs, but none of them made you think we had THE guy at the position.

Josh Gulley. I was trying to remember his name. Thanks. He did very well when he was here. Too bad he decided to transfer to S. Miss......and play TE of all things.