CUSA, ODU, and MTSU

UNTflyer

Old Dominion could have another eight weeks to decide whether to accept an invitation to join Conference USA, which announced the addition of five members Friday.

The additions brought CUSA’s membership to 13. To add a 14th member by 2013, the conference would have to act by June 30th, commissioner Britton Banowsky said.

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/05/odu-could-have-time-mull-leap-cusa

Officials at Old Dominion have requested an extension on making their decision, but it is still unclear exactly how long Conference USA will give them. It is also still unclear, when ODU would make the jump to FBS, if they were to move to C-USA. They currently compete at the FCS level, and would need to notify the NCAA by June 1, should they plan to enter FBS in 2013. If Old Dominion does decline the invite, it is said that Middle Tennessee could be the next option.

http://www.minerrush.com/2012/5/4/2999520/its-official-conference-usa-will-add-five-in-2013

MURFREESBORO – MTSU is back in the mix for a spot in Conference USA, The Daily News Journal has learned.

Today, CUSA officially announced the addition of five member schools for 2013, but the reported sixth addition, Old Dominion, has delayed its decision of both moving to CUSA and the Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division I-A). If Old Dominion balks at a CUSA invitation or at least further delays it, MTSU will be a prime candidate to take its spot for 2013.

MTSU would also be considered head-to-head against Old Dominion in filling the 14th overall spot in CUSA. And if CUSA further expands to 16 teams, MTSU would likely be chosen. In the latter scenario, Western Kentucky and Florida Atlantic could also be considered.

Although there is no timetable on a decision, MTSU’s candidacy for entrance into CUSA is once again alive.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/D4/20120504/BLUERAIDERS01/120504006/MTSU-back-CUSA-hunt?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|p

• Upvote 1

Can someone clarify this for me. If ODU accepts they would go into the first of two years transition period and be eligible for the conference championship in 2014. The same is true for UTSA. Charlotte, as a startup program, would not be eligible for the football championship until 2015. Since the TV contract calls for 12 teams and a championship game in 2013, wouldn't it be prudent to accept MTSU (already a FBS member) and have the full complement of teams? That would give ODU time to evaluate their situation for next year when the conference will likely go to 16 teams.

What am I missing?

Man, no matter how this works out I hope we always stay in a division with Tulane. I want to make that NOLA trip every two years.

AND... I want to see what some of you are like on Bourbon street. I can't be certain, but I think last time I went I had an argument with a fire hydrant and tried to kiss a horse.