McCasland contract details

Harry

A-State had a 400K 5-year guaranteed deal on his desk.

UNT landed him with a 5-year $600K guaranteed deal if you include the $500K buy-out.  In total a $3.5 million dollar contract.  This deal placed UNT at the #2 spot in all of C-USA in head coach basketball salaries.

So, without a doubt, if you look at where our compensation is now, in the three main sports, there is no question that we are at the top of C-USA.

What I am interested to learn is what the buy-out is on the new UNT contract.

Lost in all the current back-and-forth is the huge statement this makes financially.  I think more than any other thing I've read - outside Denton media - is the shock of what UNT is paying in this deal.

This is potentially as big a statement off the court as the new coach winning on the court.  Big boys like to see who is throwing around money in bunches, and we just threw down a huge wad of cash relative to what people are used to seeing UNT do.

• Upvote 5

I would like to see a buyout that is like 600-750 in year 1 or 2, with it being at 500k in 3 years so that if he leaves a couple of years from now we can make some off of him leaving or just break even. 

What  could be interesting is, does he view UNT as a long-term home even if he has success. With UNT being close to Irving and him saying he wanted to be close to home, would that keep him here over larger-school offers in the future? I'm assuming he views Baylor as his dream job, just like we assume SL views OU

1 last questions is did we have some big time boosters kick in for the buyout or is $ coming from the school?

and no related but on the topic of contracts, have we have found out SL new contract in terms of #s, besides the 1 year extension? 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

and no related but on the topic of contracts, have we have found out SL new contract in terms of #s, besides the 1 year extension? 

725,000 base salary with incentives driving up yearly compensation to a max of 882,800. The assistant pool was likely also increased. @Brett Vito didn't mention a whole lot of specifics in his blog entry regarding the new five year deal.

EDIT: Oops, that was his current contract. He is likely making more. Terms weren't publicly released but I suppose an FOIA request could get more juicy details for whoever wants to pay to "break" that news.

Edited by UNTFan23
Contract terms weren't actually released
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

725,000 base salary with incentives driving up yearly compensation to a max of 882,800. The assistant pool was likely also increased. @Brett Vito didn't mention a whole lot of specifics in his blog entry regarding the new five year deal.

EDIT: Oops, that was his current contract. He is likely making more. Terms weren't publicly released but I suppose an FOIA request could get more juicy details for whoever wants to pay to "break" that news.

All good, and I hadn't seen anything either.

I'm guessing with the seriousness of WB with basketball, wondering if something like this was done with SL. One difference is that they did call for the BOR to discuss SL contract, but I didn't hear anything about McCaslands contract but maybe that was a closed door session?

• Upvote 1

I don't think you should count "buyout money" as part of his compensation since it will be going to A.S.U. Still, $500.000 is a nice salary, but only $100,000 more per year that Benford. I would have though that we would need to pay a lot more in order to hook a coach as capable as McCasland.

• Upvote 2