How much is there to the rumors

sure there are a lot of rumors floating around twitter, however there has been nothing official, just media, boosters, and alumni speculating, not unlike last year with SMU.  they just see a power conference school in need of a coach, and assume the best mid major coach with in 500 miles is the obvious answer.  These same speculators still seem to think the Texas job is up for grabs.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, ADLER said:

Channel 4's Mike Doocey led with the same sentence about Tech courting Grant.

And in another blatant media slap... our big game on ESPN, switched to Oregon vs Wisconsin with 3 minutes left in overtime for markets outside Texas and Oklahoma.

Didn't in the New York/New England market.  Saw it all!

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, MrAlien said:

sure there are a lot of rumors floating around twitter, however there has been nothing official, just media, boosters, and alumni speculating, not unlike last year with SMU.  they just see a power conference school in need of a coach, and assume the best mid major coach with in 500 miles is the obvious answer.  These same speculators still seem to think the Texas job is up for grabs.

Jeff Goodman hears things from basketball people. People close to NT have said Mac interviewed. There was interest previously. 

Texas Tech has not made any coaching hires while Georgetown, St. Johns, Iona, Wichita St, and others have locked up their dudes as quickly as the openings happened. Now either Tech is super slow with this hire, or they have already made a handshake agreement and are waiting for him to complete his tourney run. 

Now, until it is all official and signed and announced, anything could change. He could have an unsigned contract in his back pocket and decide to tear it up dramatically as they celebrate an NIT victory at the Orleans Arena in Vegas. More likely he wants to finish out this run with this special group of guys and then talk about the future when the season is officially over. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

Jeff Goodman hears things from basketball people. People close to NT have said Mac interviewed. There was interest previously. 

Texas Tech has not made any coaching hires while Georgetown, St. Johns, Iona, Wichita St, and others have locked up their dudes as quickly as the openings happened. Now either Tech is super slow with this hire, or they have already made a handshake agreement and are waiting for him to complete his tourney run. 

Now, until it is all official and signed and announced, anything could change. He could have an unsigned contract in his back pocket and decide to tear it up dramatically as they celebrate an NIT victory at the Orleans Arena in Vegas. More likely he wants to finish out this run with this special group of guys and then talk about the future when the season is officially over. 

He might have that contract in his back pocket, very well could. 

But the question is, is he going to give his employer even a seat at the table? 

What if we decide to present him a 3M/yr contract with gurantees and promises of building him a new facility. Would that entice him to stay? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

The announcers calling last night's game mentioned how McCasland has become a hot commodity, but that he liked being close to family, loved the area, loved the program/administration/school and his kids (players),  and how other teams have come calling in the past, and he has turned them down.  They didn't mention anything about TT.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

He might have that contract in his back pocket, very well could. 

But the question is, is he going to give his employer even a seat at the table? 

What if we decide to present him a 3M/yr contract with gurantees and promises of building him a new facility. Would that entice him to stay? 

Competitors like Mac want to win championships at the highest level. I don't see this as a money issue. I'd love for him to stay but completely understand if TT and playing in the Big 12 is an offer he can't refuse. Let's just enjoy the heck out of this team and season! Go Mean Green. Viva Las Vegas!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

The announcers calling last night's game mentioned how McCasland has become a hot commodity, but that he liked being close to family, loved the area, loved the program/administration/school and his kids (players),  and how other teams have come calling in the past, and he has turned them down.  They didn't mention anything about TT.

I feel like they did mention him and Texas Tech at one point, but not in that specific conversation.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CMJ said:

I feel like they did mention him and Texas Tech at one point, but not in that specific conversation.

They most certainly did. 

4 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

Competitors like Mac want to win championships at the highest level. I don't see this as a money issue. I'd love for him to stay but completely understand if TT and playing in the Big 12 is an offer he can't refuse. Let's just enjoy the heck out of this team and season! Go Mean Green. Viva Las Vegas!

I get it. He won't win a natty at Lubbock University in Lubbock, Texas because he will always be behind the 8ball because Lubbock. But, I get it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

6 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

They most certainly did. 

I get it. He won't win a natty at Lubbock University in Lubbock, Texas because he will always be behind the 8ball because Lubbock. But, I get it. 

I'm sure he figures Beard nearly did, so why can't he.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

They most certainly did. 

They were one last minute three away from winning the whole thing two years ago. In that conference they'll be in the tournament every year with 18 wins. Plus, he started his coaching career at Tech, got his masters at Tech, met his wife (a Tech soccer player) at Tech. This feels done. I hope it's not, I hope that very much, but if it is, it was a heck of a run.  #GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

They were one last minute three away from winning the whole thing two years ago. In that conference they'll be in the tournament every year with 18 wins. Plus, he started his coaching career at Tech, got his masters at Tech, met his wife (a Tech soccer player) at Tech. This feels done. I hope it's not, I hope that very much, but if it is, it was a heck of a run.  #GMG

I know they got close some yrs ago. But that felt like their cinderella plateau. And they couldn't capitalize. It felt like the exception rather than the rule. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

While I think Mac deserves a big job because he’s an amazing coach, Texas Tech literally makes no sense. Their fans are horrible anyway, and it’s one of the worst cities I’ve ever stepped foot in. If Mac prioritizes family and the school, he’d definitely stay because there’s no way it’s anything other than money.

And after rereading that, I sound bitter. Which I am because I hate Tech.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Yep. It’s a great chance for Mac to step up to the best league in the nation and challenge himself there. Tech has the tools — they built that hoops facility for Beard — and he has a history there so there’s at least a little comfort and that probably makes it so much easier. 

I think North Texas squeezed just about all the juice from this relationship as possible. The ball didn’t bounce their way vs La Tech or vs UAB else we’d see maybe one more tourney appearance. 

I think getting to Vegas is a big deal. Not as big of a deal as a Sweet 16 but I’ll take it, especially in light of where we were when he took over. As ever, the job is to not stay stuck, but to move forward. 

Y’all know Mark Few took over Gonzaga after the first guy left yeah? 😉

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

And the fact they think Tylor Perry would actually go to Tech with Mac makes me laugh  lol

I wish that I could laugh about that.   Why would you think that is not possible ?

16 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

Unfortunately, I agree and have already resigned myself to this happening 😞     Lubbock sucks.   But, there are a lot of reasons why this makes sense for Grant right now.

But, there is some light at the end of the tunnel IMO ........

The best thing for us to do is to continue to play the same slow paced system and smothering defense.     We have built a unique identity that gives even the P5 schools fits.    In order to do that, we need to retain the same staff (outside McCasland).    That means offer Ross Hodge the HC job and hope he takes it.   He is currently the associate head coach and has been with Grant all these years.   He is a head coach in waiting.   We don't need another HC coming in with their own philosophy.     Keep this train rolling with what has worked for us.   And, hope that Grant doesn't take a lot of the players with him.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, akriesman said:

I wish that I could laugh about that.   Why would you think that is not possible ?

Unfortunately, I agree and have already resigned myself to this happening 😞     Lubbock sucks.   But, there are a lot of reasons why this makes sense for Grant right now.

The best thing for us to do is to continue to play the same slow paced system and smothering defense.     We have built a unique identity that gives even the P5 schools fits.    In order to do that, we need to retain the same staff (outside McCasland).    That means offer Ross Hodge the HC job and hope he takes it.   He is currently the associate head coach and has been with Grant all these years.   He is a head coach in waiting.   We don't need another HC coming in with their own philosophy.     Keep this train rolling with what has worked for us.   And, hope that Grant doesn't take a lot of the players with him.

If this happens, GM might as well not exist to me.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, akriesman said:

Pretty much agree with everything.  I feel like schools that try to hire within the same coaching tree do well when the head guy gets picked off, but when they look for an exciting new name they often fail.  We have an identity now, and Hodge is the right hand man of the guy who built that identity.  Hodge is the only choice if/when Mac leaves. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1