'17 QB Frank Harris (Clemens)

7 hours ago, BigDanTeague said:

Harris was recruited at multiple positions, which has plenty to do with his more impressive offer list. For example, the Baylor offer from earlier in the spring semester. That was for DB.

Would UNT take either or both? Yeah.

Is this a "much more impressive recruiting job by UTSA?" No.

Of course. I didn't make that statement under the impression that Baylor, or even Georgia Tech offered him as a QB. But even after those two, Harris had 8 other FBS offers and Pearson had 1. 

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Right, hence the "at this point in time" line in my post. 

Maybe Pearson blows up his senior season. Maybe he grows another 3 inches. 

But at this point in time, this is a loss to UTSA. I was hoping for better from the new staff.

So you were hoping for miracles without allowing recruits to see what the Littrell/Graham offense will look like? 

Harris loved the staff here and the new offense, but he was never going to spurn his hometown team for their rival. The UTSA fan base treats him like Lebron down there. A 3* prospect gets to announce his commitment on the local news? Harris probably also knew he would be a better fit in their offense.There was a tremendous amount of pressure on him to stay home and play for UTSA. He has now burdened himself with being their hero.

Did we lose a recruiting battle to UTSA? Yes and its disappointing. 

Did Harris sign his LOI yesterday? Nope

How high would Harris be ranked if he were scouted just as a dual threat QB?

Rankings change over time.

The most important thing is for this staff to get the QB evaluation right. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

He is a runner then passer... Pearson is passer then runner... 

I would assume, in our scheme we want someone who can throw the ball to WRs... Harris is similar to D.Smith, a runner that tries to throw and hopefully his accuracy develops, but it's usually something that doesn't with QBs, look at Means... He keeps getting passed over.. Yes Harris would have been a great get, but we need a QB and not an ATH like what was said earlier

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Of course. I didn't make that statement under the impression that Baylor, or even Georgia Tech offered him as a QB. But even after those two, Harris had 8 other FBS offers and Pearson had 1. 

I understand you to be the recruiting guy and I am interested in your opinion. UNT appears to sell a system and UTSA is selling that the OC/QB coach was the QB coach was the for the Jacksonville Jaguars. In this scenerio, what advantages do you see? It would appear that a HS kids could see how he fits into a system and the other more abstract.

Edited by UTSA Fan

6 minutes ago, UTSA Fan said:

I understand you to be the recruiting guy and I am interested in your opinion. UNT appears to sell a system and UTSA is selling that the OC/QB coach was the QB coach was the for the Jacksonville Jaguars. In this scenerio, what advantages do you see? It would appear that a HS kids could see how he fits into a system and the other more abstract.

As far as college QB coaches, I think UNT also has quite a bit to offer:
Graham Harrell

You may find him all over this:
All-time passing records

22 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

As far as college QB coaches, I think UNT also has quite a bit to offer:
Graham Harrell

You may find him all over this:
All-time passing records

My angle wasn't offering, per se, but the strategy of building a program. Some examples are: the primary focus of recruiting vs player development (xs and os or the jimmys and joes), scheduling easily for wins vs named opponents for recognition, etc. The post wasn't a slight either way, just trying to understand what I am seeing to guage progress (?) in building a program.

5 minutes ago, UTSA Fan said:

My angle wasn't offering, per se, but the strategy of building a program. Some examples are: the primary focus of recruiting vs player development (xs and os or the jimmys and joes), scheduling easily for wins vs named opponents for recognition, etc. The post wasn't a slight either way, just trying to understand what I am seeing to guage progress (?) in building a program.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't understanding what you were saying.  
I was replying to your statement: " UNT appears to sell a system and UTSA is selling that the OC/QB coach was the QB coach was the for the Jacksonville Jaguars. "  
I agree the system element of running the Air Raid is a big part of recruiting a QB, but having a guy like Harrell who was successful enough in that system to tattoo the record books and play in the NFL as your OC/QB coach is also a pretty big deal.  

In essence, I think UNT can sell both.

• Upvote 1

Jacksonville hadn't had a descent QB in years till Bortles.. If they wanna sell a coach, that was on 1 of the worst teams that's fine with me... 

We would be lying, this was mostly down to scheme vs location.. He picked location, and you can't blame the staff or anyone for Harris wanting to stay home.. Honestly, it maybe even better for us because of our Defense vs his running ability with him not being a great passer. 

1 minute ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

Jacksonville hadn't had a descent QB in years till Bortles.. If they wanna sell a coach, that was on 1 of the worst teams that's fine with me... 

We would be lying, this was mostly down to scheme vs location.. He picked location, and you can't blame the staff or anyone for Harris wanting to stay home.. Honestly, it maybe even better for us because of our Defense vs his running ability with him not being a great passer. 

I would rather deal with a QB that throws rather than a running QB.  I have nightmares of the SMU game and that kid just dropping back and taking off.  Seriously nothing more deflating than that.  A passing QB has the ability to maybe have a tipped pass int, a dropped pass by the wr or just a bad read.  It seems that if you have a runner it just eats us alive.  What are your thoughts @baberuthbomber8

38 minutes ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

I would rather deal with a QB that throws rather than a running QB.  I have nightmares of the SMU game and that kid just dropping back and taking off.  Seriously nothing more deflating than that.  A passing QB has the ability to maybe have a tipped pass int, a dropped pass by the wr or just a bad read.  It seems that if you have a runner it just eats us alive.  What are your thoughts @baberuthbomber8

Agree.
There was literally nothing our slow LB's could do about Davis.  He made Bean look like a turtle so many times.   So frustrating...

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Agree.
There was literally nothing our slow LB's could do about Davis.  He made Bean look like a turtle so many times.   So frustrating...

I think a lot of that will be solved with Ekeler's recruits/defense. He's bringing in kids that can fly. I will not be surprised if we are much better prepared for Davis this time around

I agree a running QB is a headache, but a Dual-Threat or even an good passer/avg running QB is the biggest problem.. Honestly, D-Smith was a run first and 2nd and hope he throws it in the area code of the WR or whoever QB.. I'm not saying Harris is that, but Pearson has the ability to spin the ball and put it on a WR, but yet has the ability to pull it down and run for 5-10 yards or more if given the chance. Give me Pearson 9 times outta 10.. QBs are meant to be like a PG someone who passes it around for the big play but can pull it down and go if needed. Harris is a pull it down and then hopefully pass.. Not saying that Harris is like Vick or Tebow, but they were runners before passers 

2 hours ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

I agree a running QB is a headache, but a Dual-Threat or even an good passer/avg running QB is the biggest problem.. Honestly, D-Smith was a run first and 2nd and hope he throws it in the area code of the WR or whoever QB.. I'm not saying Harris is that, but Pearson has the ability to spin the ball and put it on a WR, but yet has the ability to pull it down and run for 5-10 yards or more if given the chance. Give me Pearson 9 times outta 10.. QBs are meant to be like a PG someone who passes it around for the big play but can pull it down and go if needed. Harris is a pull it down and then hopefully pass.. Not saying that Harris is like Vick or Tebow, but they were runners before passers 

Well, Harris has named himself Lil'Vick on his twatter.

Here's my take. 

Pearson: I really like his video. Throws a tight spiral on crossing routes, is accurate, can throw with touch, love the deep post he throws while getting hit (stands in the pocket), still looks downfield when flushed from the pocket but has the speed to tuck it and run. At 6'3", he has a frame to put on good weight, add strength and foot speed. 

Harris: Strong arm, appears accurate, likes to tuck it and run, probably one of the best athletes on his team so they rely on his playmaking ability. 

These are two good G5 quarterbacks, both with potential to be very good, that appear to be good leaders. It is a win for both schools and as much as I dislike KFCU, this is good for the conference. It will be fun to watch them over the next 4 to 5 years to see who develops and has the best collegiate career. Pearson may have a slight advantage here because there is no pressure for him to start right away where Harris may see the field as a true freshman and have to deal with the pressure of being the home town kid. 

• Upvote 4

20 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Counting G5 offers eight months before signing day is an unreliable method for determining that one staff has beaten another on the recruiting trail.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BigDanTeague said:

Counting G5 offers eight months before signing day is an unreliable method for determining that one staff has beaten another on the recruiting trail.

Yes, but it's a good job of successfully selling your program to a player who has options. Different from just winning straight up recruiting battles, but probably more important when it comes to getting early commitments. But I'm not telling you anything you aren't already well aware of.

On 6/23/2016 at 2:52 PM, Aldo said:

Fellas, Pearson can run. He may not be a runner in a dual threat sense, but he has got some wheels.

If you can out run 5 and 6 A East Tx athletes you've got some wheels. 

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

4.87 laser time.

Don't church it up, son. 

I know 40 times are fun and what not, but I like to see what they do on film.  Can't time football speed and this kids got some of that! Check his highlights, several times he outruns kids who have excellent angles on him.