MGB: Tuesday practice tidbits

Brett Vito

UNT is still shifting its offensive linemen around a bit to see what its best combination of five will be. Chris Miles is seeing time at both tackle and guard. The assumption heading into fall was that he was a lock to start at tackle.

hmmmmm....

Could mean trouble, could mean nice depth. How the season plays out will tell the tale. 

I personally think both the DL and OL will hold nicely all season. My concerns for the O is obviously QB, but also seeing if Wilson is in fact a #1 back. On D my concerns are a few of the secondary positions and also the crowded (but talented) LB corps. Sometimes it takes game snaps to solidify your top 3 and I just hope it doesn't hurt us while they figure that out. 

• Upvote 1

Anyone else getting a redirect to an app when trying to access on the iPhone ?

are you clicking on the link posted? If so it will give you a re-direct or the option to use the app.  I always open periscope app first to avoid going through that process. 

I'd like to see Jordan Murray out there soon

KkOio4u.jpg

he's a year away. It would be interesting to see him against the 1s, I'm not sure his run blocking steps are up to par, he sure has the size to make it, he's just got to get his steps and quickness up to par. 

• Upvote 1

This is where having an inexperienced OL really hurts if you don't have a QB that can make plays with his arm or his feet. And McNulty cannot do either--he follows the busdriver instructions perfectly and scores great on tests, but his playmaking skills are almost nil.

Mac will develop the line to be better as time goes on--its his MO and strength as a coach. But they won't probably see huge improvement until later in the season, at the earliest. Its yet another reason that 2016 and 2017 will be the earliest we can see us get back to a .500 record or better. At a program like ours, we have to have solid line play on both sides of the ball to be successful. To get anything close to a 2013 season again, its gonna take that development and an easier schedule than what we have for this season. Again, it sucks that it is Mac's 5th year here--but you are going to have to look at this season as if its just year 2 again. We are that far behind right now--and we don't have or won't use the funds to make a coaching change at the top to correct any of this, so even if its Year 5, you've just got to convince yourself that its really Year 2 of 5. Chico will be gone after this season, almost certainly, but that isn't going to change things at the top, even if we win 2 games or less this year and next. 2017 will be the year that determines Mac's tenure here. If he wants to keep coaching beyond that year, he will have to have a bowl season to get an extension or else he will be gone...unless he enters into an agreement with the school to retire in 2018 and give the job to a coach in waiting on the staff. Don't underestimate this possibility--the university doesn't pay a buyout and gets to pay an assistant coach to move up to HC and pay much less than Mac has made in his tenure. I think that scenario is very possible, too...

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In the periscope videos the first week Murray was getting beat by the 3s. Not sure where he is at now.

Yup. He definitely needs at least a year IMO. Likely more.

As for Miles, anyone saying he's better off at guard may be right. But we need him at tackle. I think he's still probably our best option there, even if he still has a ways to go in pass protection. It's unfortunate we don't have more of these linemen Mccarney has signed stepping up.

As for Miles, anyone saying he's better off at guard may be right. But we need him at tackle. I think he's still probably our best option there, even if he still has a ways to go in pass protection. It's unfortunate we don't have more of these linemen Mccarney has signed stepping up.

Good news we do not pass the ball..... so no worries..... nothing to see here

Miles REALLY looks soft in the videos. Peep today's coverage...

• Upvote 1