I Was Excited By What I Saw And Still Am

Look, I'm not going to lie. I saw the OU game in 2007 and the Clemson game in 2010. The corner is turned, yo.

We had that thing at 14-7 with just a few ticks left in the second quarter, folks. At Clemson! And, our OL was poking holes in a big defensive line - against Clemson's first team in the first half!

Guys, we are going to crush Rice and Army. I know most of you don't believe me yet. But, you will. And, I'm sticking with my prediction that we blow out FAU in Boca Raton.

Also, I'm telling you now, we can hang with and beat Kansas State in the finale. These aren't pipedreams anymore. We're not hitch-hiking anymore; we're riding!

I like that kool aid you're drinking. Feel free to share.

+1 for boundless positivity.

• Upvote 2

I also liked what I saw but I think there's still a ways to go before I'm comfortable predicting a seven-win season.

The offense looked good except in the red zone. That will come with experience. Plus, they were playing one of the better defenses in the country. There were some missed blocking assignments that were corrected and a dropped pass or two but the effort was there and controlling the ball was magnificent.

There is still plenty to be concerned about with the defense and special teams. Cornerback is a real problem with the loss of Ford. Even if there is little dropoff with McCord, the depth ends there. The defensive ends were pretty much negated and none of the defensive backs had an exceptional day although coverage seemed mostly good. The big play bit them in the butt. I hope that it's correctible without losing their agressiveness.

Kickoff returns were fine but the yardage difference in punt returns between the two teams was considerable. I was nervous on every kickoff after the first one went out of bounds and the rest were relatively short. A plus was that both the field goal and extra point were made.

Let's see what we can build on from that great effort. We were close to being blown out but we were also very close to a tight ballgame.

Look, I'm not going to lie. I saw the OU game in 2007 and the Clemson game in 2010. The corner is turned, yo.

We had that thing at 14-7 with just a few ticks left in the second quarter, folks. At Clemson! And, our OL was poking holes in a big defensive line - against Clemson's first team in the first half!

Guys, we are going to crush Rice and Army. I know most of you don't believe me yet. But, you will. And, I'm sticking with my prediction that we blow out FAU in Boca Raton.

Also, I'm telling you now, we can hang with and beat Kansas State in the finale. These aren't pipedreams anymore. We're not hitch-hiking anymore; we're riding!

On that, TFLF, we will agree.............to agree! B)

STADIUM ON THE BRAIN & I JUST CAN'T GET IT OFF THE BRAIN: This new stadium will also give us our long awaited opportunity to finally get this program jump-started to new heights and to legitimately allow UNT to continue the big dreams of those from the Abner Haynes era, Joe Greene era & Hayden Fry era when our possibilities seemed within reach except for a broken down ol' Lady of a stadium on our campus that cost us more than we'll ever really know--even a probable CUSA membership just a few years ago.

Former UNT BOR, ie, the late Winn Brown once told me at a gathering years ago that UNT really missed its true opportunity to move up the NCAA ladder to even the level of some schools in the old SWC and that during the Abner Haynes era. Not sure I believed that since our infrastucture & on-campus stadium would not have even fit the criteria of SWC stadia of the mid 1950's but..........that was yesterday.......and yesterday's gone. Scarlet O'Hara said it best in the ruins of Tara Plantation on her view of the future, especially....her famous cinematic line about "tomorrow".

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I think we all need to review the post that were made after last season's opening win against Ball St. Let's tap the brakes just a little on the 8 win season and see what happens this week against Rice.

Several areas of concern:

Low snaps on punts. I would expect Rice to come after a punt early after seeing this on tape.

Continued kicking problems.

Big plays on defense.

Red zone offense (actually offense inside the opponents 40).

Clock and time out management by the coiaching staff.

I think this week clears all of this up and gives us a clear picture of where this team is headed.

• Upvote 1

You presume we will need to punt.

Considering Rice's offense was awful (219 total yards) and their defense limited Texas to 34 points, yes I think we will punt several times.

Considering Rice's defense gave up less points to the #5 ranked team in the nation than we did to Clemson, especially considering that it took #5 UT a little over 30 minutes to get those 34 points against the Rice defense while it took an unranked Clemson team a little over 18 minutes of possession to put up 35 on us.

If anyone thinks this game is not going to be a monumental challenge for UNT on both sides of the ball, you have not only been drinking way to much green kool aid, but must have also been smoking way to much of that green leafy substance.

I think this is a tight game and by no means a sure victory.

regarding the couple of low snaps...none resulted in any damage and all punts went off without any blocks by Clemson. You may not be aware of the fact that Troy Kokjohn was hurt in the game in the first half and played the full second half with a hurt back. Should be fine for the Rice game. Rice will definitely try to rush our punter...as UNT should try to get in on Rice's punter and either rush the kick or try for a block. I thought that was a fairly "normal" part of a football game....you know, plan for some special teams play!

Anyway, I agree that the Rice game will be no cakewalk and the team will need to play with the heart it played with against Clemson. But, snaps to UNT's punter is not something that is of any concern to me as the team prepares for the Rice game. That part is in good hands.

One thing we need is a good "home field advantage" with a BIG CROWD. Rice is coming into the Mean Green's house, and they should be "welcomed" accordingly by a loud and large crowd.

P.S. Let's treat the Rice fans who show up for the game with the same kindness and generosity that the Clemson fans showed the Mean green faithful who attended at Clemson last Saturday. Everything I have heard has been very positive. Let's send the Rice fans home after their loss to the Mean Green with very positive thoughts about the Mean Green Nation.

Go Mean Green!

I think we all need to review the post that were made after last season's opening win against Ball St. Let's tap the brakes just a little on the 8 win season and see what happens this week against Rice.

Several areas of concern:

I agree with some of your list, but I have nothing but optimism. All hail the first week of college football.

I watched the game in person and was absolutely stoked about what I saw. When I got home and watched it on DVR, the luster wore off just a tad, but not completely.

The Tune turnovers were killer. He also fumbled twice, but we recovered both. He and Dunbar also had a several miscues on the zone read where Tune ended up having the ball (precariously), when he wanted Lance to take it. He also audibled a couple times and it took too long, so the defense was able to recover and stuff us. Even with this little list, Tune was a stud. He was accurate, decisive and mobile. I hope this does nothing but build his confidence coming into the Rice game.

Overall though -- definitely a good way to open to the season and I am very comfortable with Tune as QB.

This one didn't hurt like the KSU opener.

P.S. Let's treat the Rice fans who show up for the game with the same kindness and generosity that the Clemson fans showed the Mean green faithful who attended at Clemson last Saturday. Everything I have heard has been very positive. Let's send the Rice fans home after their loss to the Mean Green with very positive thoughts about the Mean Green Nation.

Go Mean Green!

But lets hope our band has a little something to give them as a payback for the "tip your waiters" comment during the 08 halftime festivities.

What did you do with the Rea,l The Fake Lonnie Finch?!

What did you do with the Real, The Fake Lonnie Finch?!

• Upvote 1

I think Rice will be the big test for TD. If we lose, much "faith" will be lost that TD can pull off a couple of wins this season. If we win, everyone will go ape sh!t and say he has turned the corner. One more week and we will know a little more. I hope we win big.

Agreed. Rice gave UT a pretty serious test in that first half--much like we did against Clemson. Depth and game-breaking players won the games for UT and Clemson....but both UNT and Rice showed that their coaching staffs are no longer push-overs and are capable of giving it to the big boys.

Great gameplan by the UNT coaching staff. That was easily the best performance in a bodybag game in over 6 years. We looked like we belonged on the field. If it weren't for our special teams continued struggles, I'd be right there with TFLF in proclaiming that we've turned the corner. The fact is that our special teams are going to lose us games this year. Hopefully not enough to keep us out of bowl contention, but teams like FAU (who thrive on great special teams play) are going to take advantage.

I also agree that special teams is a concern, but it wasn't the main problem in the Clemson game.

*Punting game was fine with Atterbury putting Clemson at their 10 yard line twice, put 4 punts inside their 20 (including the two at their 10 above), averaged 42.9 yards a kick and had a long of 59.

* Coverage units struggled with the first two players down the field missing tackles leading to big returns.

* Kickoffs were bad. Not deep enough and one out of bounds.

The problems I saw, and turning points early in the game were:

* The penalty on Carey that led to a short kick-off and short field for Clemson. Should have been 14-7 at half with us having the momentum, but was 21-7 and Clemson had the "mo" and their fans were back in the game.

* Giving up the big play. No explanation needed.

* Tackles getting beat off the edge. By the time Tune was set up in the pocket, the D-ends were on him. Very little time to actually look downfield. Then again, the Clemson D-line is awfully good with one player a former #1 recruit.

* Dodge trying one more play to pick up a few extra yards to attempt a field goal that led to Tune's first interception. Having faith in a kicker and this wouldn't be an issue.

* Craig Roberson played a very good game, and other that blown coverages, our D-backs stuck with their WR's, but overall tackling must improve.

Overall, loved the way we looked. We were so close a number of times. My wife, who rarely watches, got involved in the game and said, "We look so good and then a play or two just kills us." This will turn around with experience and not playing Clemson.

I also loved the fact that we never looked overmatched. Good team speed, Coach Char should be commended, D-line looked good, but had a hard time generating pressure on their QB partly due to Clemson's massive O-Line. Tune managed the game well, threw accurately, minus the intercepted "fade" route, Darius Carey looked great with a broken hand and Dunbar is an absolute stud, great moves, speed, etc...

It is amazing what a year can do, but I am with emmitt and TFLF in stating that we should win 7-8 games this year.

Did I mention Danny Kannel sucks as an announcer?