I Was Excited By What I Saw And Still Am

I admire your courage, sir. I am The Fake Lonnie Finch. And, I am radically excited by Coach Mike "Chico" Canales.

For years, I have preached that success in the Sun Belt isn't akin to scaling Mount Kilimanjaro. And, along with such rantings, I have claimed that coaching is the essence of success in FBS-level college football.

And, here we have a marriage of the two - North Texas, a Sun Belt school; and, Mike "Chico" Canales, a real college football coach. Throw in Conroy Hines to replace the cuss-patrol coach, and we are looking at a coaching staff that is equal to or better than any Sun Belt coaching staff you can name (and, truly, you can only name eight others).

This is a coaching staff who pays attention to football before, during, and after a football game. And, that, my courageous friend, is a welcome change. That, as even Robert Frost admitted year ago, has made all the difference in the world.

When there is no facility, you pee in the woods.

Second reference to that. What did I miss while I was out roiding?

In 2007, a DB came off the field and, in frustration (at being coached by high school coaches and business executives) threw some f-bombs around. The WR coach hunted him down and dressed him down for cussing. After the game Dodge said the WR coach was merely "re-directing" the player in question.

At the time, I surmised that coaches at this level shouldn't be wasting game time worrying about a player cussing. There's too much other important stuff going on - like the actual game. My suggestion was that WR coach take it up with the player after the game, or during practice some time in the ensuing week. Or...to just let the kid vent and forget about it.

No word on whether the old WR coach was ever within earshot of Gary DeLoach upon his return.