Why we're going to be ok...

BIG DAWG

1) we've found our QB...AND he is a special talent

2) don't judge this loss based on the Indiana team we beat in Denton, they are much better, and will have a solid record at the end of the season

3) our defense is going to be better than most in conference

4) for the first time Ina long time, our offense is going to be able to win games for us instead of simply "doing enough to win"

Breathe easy NT fans, we're going to be ok

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

1) we've found our QB...AND he is a special talent

2) don't judge this loss based on the Indiana team we beat in Denton, they are much better, and will have a solid record at the end of the season

3) our defense is going to be better than most in conference

4) for the first time Ina long time, our offense is going to be able to win games for us instead of simply "doing enough to win"

Breathe easy NT fans, we're going to be ok

True

Also went up against a desperate Head Coach. Onside kick, going for 4th and 8 early, burning redshirts, etc in a non-conference home game against a G-5. It doesn't look like our game planning figured that factor in.

Mac swore on the postgame show that Perry urgently told them to prepare for the onsides but they didn't execute.

I think you are overrating this IU team, I doubt they qualify for a bowl. Still they are a B10 school and have a wide talent edge on NT. Add to that they appeared much better prepared and fired up to play than NT.

As far as NT, I am not so sure they are going to be alright. I really liked Williams today despite a few mistakes. People mention those 2 interceptions but Greer would have been sacked six more times against this team.

My view is at this point that NT's defense looks very suspect. The offensive line that was supposed to be the strength of the team has proved thus far to be average at best and there is no depth at what I thought would be an improved position, wide receiver.

IMO, NT is going to have improve substantially to eek out more than 2 conference wins.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 3

Agreed! Great points.

I think IU is a team that will look good one week and not so good the next as they've already shown this year. Unfortunately, we caught them on a good week. As mentioned, they took some chances today that obviously worked out, but could have backfired and made for an entirely different game. Tip of the hat to them for making the plays today.

Regardless of how good or bad anyone thinks Indiana is, they are probably the best team we will play the rest of the year.

Please define OK. A .500 season? A visit to the Bahama Bowl to face another OK program? Our 2015 season?

We were blown out by a team that lost to Bowling Green and suffered another blow out to a team that lost to Northwestern St. I'm afraid we have a long ways to go.

But I was very impressed we did not give up today. On that, well done.

• Upvote 1

I think you are overrating this IU team, I doubt they qualify for a bowl. Still they are a B10 school and have a wide talent edge on NT. Add to that they appeared much better prepared and fired up to play than NT.

As far as NT, I am not so sure they are going to be alright. I really liked Williams today despite a few mistakes. People mention those 2 interceptions but Greer would have been sacked six more times against this team.

My view is at this point that NT's defense looks very suspect. The offensive line that was supposed to be the strength of the team has proved thus far to be average at best and there is no depth at what I thought would be an improved position, wide receiver.

IMO, NT is going to have improve substantially to eek out more than 2 conference wins.

Best answer.

I really liked Williams today despite a few mistakes. People mention those 2 interceptions but Greer would have been sacked six more times against this team.

I fail to see why people remembering the two picks and not the three td's. Sure those were both mistakes. However that 3 to 2 TD/INT ratio is better what DT put up his junior or senior years. If you choose to throw in the Nicholls stat, the ratio is 3 to 1.

• Upvote 2

We'll win more than 2 conference games. We have 7 games left on the schedule and even with a young QB and an unproven defense they are all winnable games from this point.

The must wins and extremely winnable are UAB, UTEP, SO Miss, FAU and FIU.

The could wins and still winnable are utsa, Rice.

To me, 8-4 is still doable. After the UAB game the rest of the schedule will be played in the state of Texas and that bodes well for a young team. The defense has to figure a couple things out and figure it out fast.

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1

I fail to see why people remembering the two picks and not the three td's. Sure those were both mistakes. However that 3 to 2 TD/INT ratio is better what DT put up his junior or senior years. If you choose to throw in the Nicholls stat, the ratio is 3 to 1.

Look, I'm not trying to disparage DW, because I think he has a chance to become a very good QB for this program (unlike others, I don't think he is the messiah at this very moment), but 2 of those 3 TD passes were in garbage time against second teamers.

The most impressive thing in this game was DW's performance during the drive right before the half. The TD pass down the seam was a thing of beauty. Flashes that we haven't seen with anyone else.

Trying to compare int to TD ratio for 2 games to a whole season for DT is dumb. Really dumb.

It is just shocking to me how so many on here have zero appreciation for a guy that led this team to its first bowl win in ten years, one of only 3 bowl wins in this program's history.

Here is an idea, why don't we start comparing them after DW's first bowl win.

90, there is no comparison. No one is missing DT except for maybe a select few. DW's highs will be much higher and his lows will not be as low. Yesterday was a low day for him, and he didn't cost us the game. If anything he made what would have been a complete curb stomping look like a kind of respectable game. And for the record IU hardly played reserves on defense. Pay attention.

• Upvote 3

90, there is no comparison. No one is missing DT except for maybe a select few. DW's highs will be much higher and his lows will not be as low. Yesterday was a low day for him, and he didn't cost us the game. If anything he made what would have been a complete curb stomping look like a kind of respectable game. And for the record IU hardly played reserves on defense. Pay attention.

To you? Ya, no thanks. You've proven time and again to be nothing but a typical reactionary fan. Defense was great last week according to you, calling everyone stupid that doubted your great wisdom. Of course, you now think the defense sucks.

Thinking you have any kind of read on DW after the minimal amount of time he has played tells me everything I need to know about your football IQ.

• Downvote 2

Defense was great? Never said that, and you will not hear me say that. DT benefitted from an extremely fundamentally sound defense and fantastic special teams. I was optimistic about the D after the La Tech game only because of the situations they were put in over and over again in that game plus having to play so much on the first half. I never said they were great. They aren't great. There are some correctable problems on D without a doubt, but the one thing not correctable is size and that can be directly linked back to the lack of recruiting solid DL while Mac has been here. I've been calling for a Buyers benching or switch to S for most of the season and he hurt us again yesterday. I think things will get better, but time will tell.

And wasn't asking you to pay attention to me. Down playing DW's performance yesterday by simply saying he got his success against reserves is a cheap shot and completely wrong. Pay attention to the games bc he did not have his success or TD's v reserves. Complete reserves weren't put in until after North Texas' final touchdown and they were put in on IU's O and D.

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 2

Also went up against a desperate Head Coach. Onside kick, going for 4th and 8 early, burning redshirts, etc in a non-conference home game against a G-5. It doesn't look like our game planning figured that factor in.

That wasn't a despatate head coach.

That was an aggressive head coach determined to bury his opponent early and expunge the embarassment he faced three years prior.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 2