CUSA made a mistake with the FIU invite

NT03

The burning question I have is this- had CUSA NOT invited FAU or FIU, would the conference have lost Tulane and Tulsa? Personally, I don't think so.

It was a package deal, if I remember correctly. Their was a group of schools voted in and to get the teams in the West, La Tech, UTSA and us, they had to agree to some in the East. Some Florida school was a requirement to get anyone in.

The whole thing is also based on a couple of bad years. Based on a couple of really bad years, Michigan should not be in the B1g.

If this is true that deserved a contract extension and not a firing.

And we thought Mac was passionate about the school he coaches for.

Fair point. But that was not the only off-the-field issue. There were major issues with academics, there were issues with recruits being taken to a strip club and a player shooting a gun at a party. Not to mention that there were signs pointing to a prolonged decline on the field.

I definitely think they could have dealt better with Cristobal after the loyalty he showed. But there was more to his firing than one down year.

The burning question I have is this- had CUSA NOT invited FAU or FIU, would the conference have lost Tulane and Tulsa? Personally, I don't think so.

I don't think any one or two teams kept the old C-USA teams from coming back. If C-USA had only invited FIU, UNT, and LaTech, liked it looked like it was going to be at the beginning, I think there is a decent chance Houston, UCF, et al., would have come back to C-USA after the Big East implosion. And if only one or two of those teams had been added, it would make it even more likely. But by the time they were looking for a new home, C-USA had turned into the Sun Belt conference. And I can't blame them for setting their sights higher.

We absolutely would have lost Tulane as the walk in step with Gerald Turner and SMU and Tulsa -- always have always will.. I think Houston is what keeps Rice out because they are aligned with SMU/Tulsa and Tulane as well. The private schools stick together.

We absolutely would have lost Tulane as the walk in step with Gerald Turner and SMU and Tulsa -- always have always will.. I think Houston is what keeps Rice out because they are aligned with SMU/Tulsa and Tulane as well. The private schools stick together.

I dont think UH cares as much. There isn't this animosity between the universities like there is with SMU and UNT. I think from the AAC's perspective, as UNT 90 said previously, it's all about market. Why take another Houston team? Similarly, why add UNT when you've got SMU, a similarly perpetually-underachieving G5 metroplex school?

It always comes to down to the same thing: just win. That's all we can control. One year of posting a respectable record got us a lot of run. Imagine posting 3 or 4 of them in a row?

• Upvote 1

...that no one in Houston follows.

If you consider their average attendance vs student enrollment, they're kicking our asses in.

And when I say our, I mean UNT. I don't want to speak for you.

Rice averaged 18k fans per game with 6k students.

NT averaged 21k fans per game with 36k students.

So which program is it that "no one" follows.

Edited by Eagle1855

• 1 month later...

Per a source at the game, #FIU AD Pete Garcia took several fans chanting "Fire Pete" up to his suite. pic.twitter.com/fSW6S0DOiw

— Patrick Chalvire (@PatrickChalvire)

November 1, 2014

#Rice has more fans at #FIU than the home team. Sad. #FIUvsRICE

— Rhys Williams (@CoachRhysW)

November 1, 2014

Hard to show up to a football game on a sunny Saturday afternoon. Student section at #FIU (via @CoachRhysW) pic.twitter.com/YmsIx3VBhb

— Patrick Chalvire (@PatrickChalvire)

November 1, 2014
  • Upvote 2

FIU was a card that Banowsky had to play. It basically shut the Belt out of the great state of Florida. If you leave FIU you leave the Belt with a school to recruit to there. Some don't know this but FIU has been in C-USA before we were for a long time already in men's soccer so there were political connections. The other thing is this, FIU is one of the top 5? or thereabouts in terrms of overall enrollment in the country. Additionally they are in a terrific location (Miami) and have good academics. It also provides a natural rivalry for FAU. Yeah their fan support stinks but if they start winning again it will pick up.

FIU was a card that Banowsky had to play. It basically shut the Belt out of the great state of Florida. If you leave FIU you leave the Belt with a school to recruit to there. Some don't know this but FIU has been in C-USA before we were for a long time already in men's soccer so there were political connections. The other thing is this, FIU is one of the top 5? or thereabouts interns of overall enrollment in the country. Additionally they are in a terrific location (Miami) and have good academics. It also provides a natural rivalry for FAU. Yeah their fan support stinks but if they start winning again it will pick up.

There's too much to do in Miami. No Miami team draws good crowds. Even in their heyday, the U rarely sold out Sun Life. It was a bad decision. FIU has shown no commitment to bettering facilities, improving performance, or any improvement in fan support. They may bring 1 fan to our game.

• Lovely Take 1

There's too much to do in Miami. No Miami team draws good crowds. Even in their heyday, the U rarely sold out Sun Life. It was a bad decision. FIU has shown no commitment to bettering facilities, improving performance, or any improvement in fan support. They may bring 1 fan to our game.

https://twitter.com/granttraylor/status/521635838862848000