P5 Conferences Are Getting Autonomy

elig57

Can there not be a lawsuit on discrimination grounds?

This is where our rivals in University Park & Houston and other bigger State schools (ahem, UCONN) who are not in a P5 conference can act in our stead. UNT's (among other huge schools like UCF, FIU, etc...) clout is just not very strong, but I bet we can join in any movements spearheaded by the more recognizable schools.

• Upvote 2

I just wonder if it would've come to this had there not been such a massive jump of fcs schools to fbs status over the last decade or so. I know about 11 or so have been added in just the last ten years and I wonder how many were added in the 10 years before that.

• Upvote 1

Actually, the chance is still not good at all, but it's better than you think.

The big 12 has two choices for expansion.

1. Add two more non-Texas schools. This would be hard, but probably ideal for them. That way they could keep the 4 Texas schools and the 2 Oklahoma schools in the same division. BYU wants in, but finding another school may be hard, with all the other legitimate North Division candidates in the B1G (Big10) and Pac 12. Also, not entirely sure WVU wants to stay in the Big12 longterm.

2. Add two more Texas schools. If you add just one more Texas school and a non-Texas school for the Northern Division, then you'd have to split up the Oklahoma schools. Putting 1 in the North and 1 in the south. By adding 2 Texas schools they could create a Texas division with 6 schools and a North Division, with the 2 Oklahoma schools, Iowa State, K-State, Kansas, and WVU. This scenario would leave the door open for us. If we could pass up SMU, Rice, and UTSA, then we could have a shot. Fortunately we play all those schools.

Creating a Texas division and a North Division would allow Texas and OU to play each other every year, with each school having a cross-division rival they play every year, and potentially play against each other twice a year in the Big12 conference championship game. It may be more appealing for the Big12 to do it that way and take two more Texas teams.

Assuming they ever did look to add 2 Texas schools and UH is a forgone conclusion for one of the spots, why would they take UNT instead of UTSA?

Assuming they ever did look to add 2 Texas schools and UH is a forgone conclusion for one of the spots, why would they take UNT instead of UTSA?

Facilities, tradition, class of the program, market size, school size and upcoming expansion, more central location, a much better campus. I'm sure there are more.

Facilities, tradition, class of the program, market size, school size and upcoming expansion, more central location, a much better campus. I'm sure there are more.

And my answer is: San Antonio. New market. Which trumps all of these. Because they already have the D/FW market locked down without UNT. We learned that with our treatment by the DMN.

And if by some stretch of the imagination, SA ends up with an NFL team, I figure it makes even more sense.

But all of this is moot because there isn't a program that has the clout or cache to enhance the profile of the Big XII in Texas. If there was, it would have already been added.

Edited by Eagle1855

They would NEVER allow UTSA into the Big 12. Just as they would never allow UTEP. The Flagship sure as hell isn't about to give out the obvious signal that in their eyes the feeder schools are equal. Especially one that is 1 hour away. If SMU vetos us for any conference that shares a geographic print with them then UT sure as shit isn't going to allow UTSA to share in it's domain.

If the Big 12 adds anyone, it will be BYU, Houston, and SMU.

Abd only Houston and SMU if they can't steal anyone from another P5.

Hell, they may even ignore Texas schools for USF and UCF.

SMU doesn't draw enough and they don't have a big school to get behind it. We don't draw a lot, but we have 36K+ students. Play on a bigger stage and we could easily get 50K people down the line when we play schools like Texas, Baylor, Tech, and OU. Assuming those schools bring a lot of people.

Houston has the best chance. BYU scares me too, and they really want in. Again, that would mean that the conference would have to put OU and Ok State in different divisions.

I still could see WVU leaving the BIG12, then BYU would have a spot in the North and two Texas teams could be added. It hasn't been a good fit at all, and they don't get to play their rivals. Just been a casualty of all this major college football landscaping, but at least they aren't left out in the AAC.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

And my answer is: San Antonio. New market. Which trumps all of these. Because they already have the D/FW market locked down without UNT. We learned that with our treatment by the DMN.

And if by some stretch of the imagination, SA ends up with an NFL team, I figure it makes even more sense.

But all of this is moot because there isn't a program that has the clout or cache to enhance the profile of the Big XII in Texas. If there was, it would have already been added.

As All About UNT said, it's all in the name. UTsa. UTep. The UT is the reason.

DFW is a big market. Just like LA in the PAC12, DFW is a big enough market to have two teams.

But the key is, are we winning. We need to pull out a couple miraculous 12-14 win seasons coming up here. TCU didn't get in to the BIG12 because they're in Ft. Worth. They got in because they were coming off of 4 straight 11+ win seasons. That's very unlikely for us, but if we could do that we would have a shot.

• Upvote 1

Another scary thing I've heard is that the P5 conferences plan on making the transfer rule where a kid doesn't have to sit out a year if they transfer up from a non-P5 school to a P5 school.

So if we do get a kid like Brelan Chancellor to fall through the cracks, a P5 team could just come in and scoop him up without him having to sit out a year.

Another scary thing I've heard is that the P5 conferences plan on making the transfer rule where a kid doesn't have to sit out a year if they transfer up from a non-P5 school to a P5 school.

So if we do get a kid like Brelan Chancellor to fall through the cracks, a P5 team could just come in and scoop him up without him having to sit out a year.

Right, making us their minor leagues.

Just like they are going to be minor league for the NFL.

So I guess that AA thing is really applicable.

From Vito's latest update:

“We are pleased that the NCAA Governance Redesign Model was adopted today by the NCAA Board of Directors. We extend our congratulations to Dr. Nathan Hatch and to the NCAA Steering Committee for its excellent work in designing a model that we believe will enjoy broad acceptance. We also appreciate the exemplary efforts of our NCAA Board representative, Dr. John Hitt of UCF, and our Conference Board chair, Dr. Gerald Turner of SMU, who were deeply engaged in this process.

Our conference membership supports the new governance model and the opportunities it will present to enhance the student-athlete experience and student-athlete welfare. Our presidents and athletic directors are steadfast in their commitment to these ideals and also to providing our student-athletes with the ability to compete at the highest level of collegiate athletics.”

– American Athletic Conference commissioner Mike Aresco

In other words, Mike Aresco would like to welcome our new benevolent overlords.

hailants.jpg

• Upvote 4

From Vito's latest update:

“We are pleased that the NCAA Governance Redesign Model was adopted today by the NCAA Board of Directors. We extend our congratulations to Dr. Nathan Hatch and to the NCAA Steering Committee for its excellent work in designing a model that we believe will enjoy broad acceptance. We also appreciate the exemplary efforts of our NCAA Board representative, Dr. John Hitt of UCF, and our Conference Board chair, Dr. Gerald Turner of SMU, who were deeply engaged in this process.

Our conference membership supports the new governance model and the opportunities it will present to enhance the student-athlete experience and student-athlete welfare. Our presidents and athletic directors are steadfast in their commitment to these ideals and also to providing our student-athletes with the ability to compete at the highest level of collegiate athletics.”

– American Athletic Conference commissioner Mike Aresco

In other words, Mike Aresco would like to welcome our new benevolent overlords.

hailants.jpg

Lol, as I was reading and scrolling down on my phone, I was thinking about that picture. Great minds think alike, and I guess ours do too.

• Upvote 2

This is far fetched, but can a conference boot programs from conferences? If so, CUSA needs to make it's name worthy. Dig into MAC, MWC, CUSA, SunBelt, and CUSA and cherry pick the best programs with the best facilities, largest enrollment, biggest markets, etc. Make it be as geographically sound as possible and turn ourselves into a power conference.

North Texas

Marshal

Rice

So Miss

Utah State

SDSU

Boise

Fresno

Toledo

NIU

Bowling Green

Buffalo

Arkansas State

ULL

Georgia State

ULM

Boom! Problem solved. Give or take on the exact teams. Split them up into divisions that make the most sense in terms of travel. These 16 universities would provide very competitive athletics. P5's are trying to prey on us and nothing is being done by the G5's. This is something and it's bold. This is all of course if conferences can drop universities. GMG

Edited by Ben Gooding

Okay damnit. I told you pro playoff effers that when you got what you wanted, you would not like what you would get.

We had a perfect bowl system with a mythical national champion and everyone got a chance to play during the holidays while having a big party for alumni which was a perfect opportunity for school pride and fund raising. Humans voted for the mnc and everyone got to debate the results and it did not matter.

Now there will eventually be a 16 team playoff that we and other G5 teams will not be invited to. And if you think that there will be bowls for the rest, who the hell will sponsor that and who the hell will watch? While we probably did have too many bowls, the fact that there will be so few chances for post season play is going to insure that the top 16 teams will turn the rest into the Washington Generals of cfb. And that is referring to the lower p5 also. The rest of us? Relegated to bowls that will not bring broadcast money? Our own playoff? Oh boy! Maybe we could set up a doubleheader in Frisco with dublay!!!.

I will be a fan of the Mean infinitely, but those of you who wished for playoffs just saw your wish heading to fruition. And that will eventually put us in the place that we dread, 2nd tier.

• Upvote 2