BYU Begging for the Big XII

Big12 needs bigger State Universities...sucks that (Arkansas SWC), Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri & A&M all got tired of Texas's BS.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

BYU wouldn't be a bad addition to the Big XII... at all.

At some point, someone in the Big XII is going to notice the Houston market is steadily slip-sliding into SEC country, thanks to A&M's secession and LSU's ever-present encroachment... and UH is going to hit the conference realignment jackpot.

• Upvote 2

Or got tired of losing to them

touché....

still not ideal for our regional college landscape....if you're a fan of great annual games ie Oklahoma vs Nebraska...Texas vs A&M.

Colorado, Missouri and Arkansas have all had great teams at different eras and have history with the current B12 teams.

I can't get excited about BYU

I would love BYU in the Big 12. I follow BYU closely even attending a mens volleyball game and basketball game this year. I would love to see them swing through Fort Worth and Waco. Right now the Big 12's most interesting teams to me are Texas Tech and Baylor. Okie State can be interesting leading up to Bedlam. However, the Big 12 is no SWC in terms of got to watch it. I much prefer what is going on in Aggieland and their battles in the South. Of course Denton and the Mean Green trump all of this all of the time.

I went to a Ute game too while on a project out there and ironically connected more with the Provo fanbase than UU. They are rabid and everywhere.

Bring on Cougar Town.

GMG

BYU will never go to the Pac, for the reasons mentioned, but the Sunday thing gets overblown--I believe it is a smokescreen for the real reason that people don't want them out west, which is the Mormonism. And I truly believe that is why Baylor better hope that the Texoma schools never run to the Pac, either, because they won't accept Baylor's baptist theology out there, either.

BYU would be a great addition to the Big XII and I think they will get invited--along with Cinicinnati. That will get them back to 12, give WVU a travel partner out East with a good TV market and you get BYU's national program that always draws well whereever they play in football or basketball.

• Upvote 1

BYU is eminently more qualified than a number of teams in the P5 conferences. These are athletic conferences and BYU meets any and all measurements of athletics. The fact that they are Mormon and do not play on Sunday should not be a factor. When you see them on the field how do you know that they are Mormon? They don't have to be scheduled for Sunday play; most teams are not. Their stance has been the same for many years and every conference except the Pac 12 has accepted them.

I doubt that Baylor would be a problem if BYU applied for admission. I was pretty close to the situation when Hayden Fry was trying to get us in the Southwest Conference and I never heard of Baylor being against us from anyone that would know. Besides, Hayden was a Baylor graduate and I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't have pursued the project had they been against us.

• Upvote 1

BYU is eminently more qualified than a number of teams in the P5 conferences. These are athletic conferences and BYU meets any and all measurements of athletics. The fact that they are Mormon and do not play on Sunday should not be a factor. When you see them on the field how do you know that they are Mormon? They don't have to be scheduled for Sunday play; most teams are not. Their stance has been the same for many years and every conference except the Pac 12 has accepted them.

I doubt that Baylor would be a problem if BYU applied for admission. I was pretty close to the situation when Hayden Fry was trying to get us in the Southwest Conference and I never heard of Baylor being against us from anyone that would know. Besides, Hayden was a Baylor graduate and I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't have pursued the project had they been against us.

O kind of think the whole Sunday argument is irrelevant. It's a very rare occurrence that CFB is played on Sundays.

Baylor wouldn't oppose BYU. Yes, a few alumni wouldn't like it, but as a whole they probably have more in common with BYU than not.

And Baylor did get the wake up call when the Big XII started coming apart back when Nebraska and Colorado left. They started putting a lot more resources into athletics after 2003 and it paid off with Art Bryles and RGIII. I got an MBA from Baylor and get their very, very active alumni mailings. They've got three major and a number of minor capital building programs going right now. The stadium of only about 40% of the total. But donations to any of them get you credit to football priority so donations are up for the new business building as well as the stadium. Since 2003, they've raised $305 million for athletic capital improvements. Big XII money is not just a fraction of their budget, I think a little less than 10%. The budget went from last in the Big XII in '03 to fifth in 13-14 at $73 million. They are the only Big XII team to have ALL of their varsity sports get into post season play within the last two or three years. (I think it's last 2, but might be last 3.)

As long as they keep up the spending, they are contributing more to the Big XII than they get. Doing that will keep your seat at the table.

I wish NT would do more of contributions to the whole university counts toward ticket points. They wouldn't have to count those dollars equally, but still count them to increase donations to to school overall.

Edited by VideoEagle

And they've been competitive in all of their sports and a valued NCAA Division I member for many years. I've yet to see that be a problem.

The Pac12 will never add BYU which is more than angle I was getting at (I know the thread is about the Bix XII, but the Pac12 keeps getting mentioned).. The Big XII may add BYU - they aren't culturally opposed to them the way the Pac is. I don't believe the Pac 12 will ever add a religious affiliated school now (USC was one when the league was founded, but hasn't been in over 60 years).

Edited by CMJ

With the Pac 12 it is about academics and not wanting to mix with religion. BYU is an overall better program than Utah but Berkley and Palo Alto are not going to venture into Provo with ease. I think the Big 12 is BYU's only real chance at getting into the larger conferences and if Bevo would just let them bring their network too the deal could be signed yesterday. I hope they get there.

GMG