Boise proves why a signature win is so necessary

Harry

I have been making this point for awhile, but as we pass the time before the opener against UT I think it is a good time to discuss again.

Despite some who may argue this point, UNT has not EVER in my opinion seen or benefited from a "Signature Win"...

You may ask, what is a signature win? In my NCAA football definition, it is a win that is a tremendous upset, against the Vegas odds against a superior opponent with superior tradition and resources....

North Texas' closest to this was likely the Hayden Fry win against Tennessee back in 1975 (21-14). Unfortunately, this was during a time where the media coverage was in its infancy and the exposure it might have caused in the modern college game was not realized.

When people ask me what I would like to see the North Texas program aspire to become, I always bring up Boise.

I remember, when we were struggling in the Big West back in the 90's playing Boise State and often winning. I was lucky enough to travel to one of their home games and was struck that they were in many ways like us, trying to build a program with fairly limited resources. They did have the advantage of being the only game in town and not having to compete as much with the pro teams. But they also didn't have near the enrollment or location.

Fast forward to the 2007 season and Boise after dominating the WAC league finish the season #8 and get a BCS Bowl bid against the Oklahoma Sooners (Fiesta). They win the game in overtime in shocking fashion and the rest is history. Here is an excerpt from a dated SI article:

"These days you can't go anywhere in the Treasure Valley without spotting BSU blue and orange and hearing people talk Broncos football. It wasn't that way even 15, 20 years ago. Which is why we need to introduce Travis Hawkes. Born and raised here, a Boise State fan back when it wasn't cool, he remembers crying after each loss to cross-state rival Idaho. The 34-year-old entrepreneur has ridden the Broncos' wave to personal success.

Four years ago this summer, Hawkes opened the Blue and Orange Store in a second-floor vacancy at Boise Towne Square, the area's largest mall. He already owned a successful sports apparel shop, selling licensed team gear for college and pro teams, but a store devoted solely to Boise State merchandise was a leap into the unknown.

The timing, however, was good. That fall under first-year head coach Chris Petersen, who'd been promoted when Dan Hawkins moved on to Colorado, the Broncos rolled to an unbeaten season. When they received a BCS berth in the Fiesta Bowl opposite Oklahoma, Hawkes' sales exploded."

Boise has certainly been the best example but there have been others. Arkansas State beat Texas A&M in 2008; Louisiana Monroe beat Alabama in 2007 and Arkansas in 2012. Appalachian State beats Michigan in 2007... These are the type of wins that can lead to major sea change in the support of a program.

UNT has come close. As many have stated on here, the loss against UT in 1988 was as close as we probably ever came.

I really believe UNT Coach Dan McCarney is building this program to ultimately win one of these Signature Games... every year he remains at the helm will get us closer. We know that we will always play that one game against a powerhouse program. UNT AD Rick Villarreal understands the importance and significance of what winning one of these games can mean.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/george_schroeder/09/06/boise.state/index.html#ixzz30qrUs3vb

People on here believe we will sell out SMU. We won't. There will be maybe 24k in attendance Sept, 6.

Unless we beat Texas.

Not play them close for 3 or even through the 4th only to lose, but Beat them.

A significant win is something this program has never experienced. Ever. Tennessee was nice, but it was in the Stone Age of college football. Heart of Dallas bowl? Only people who cared or noticed were involved UNT alumni.

We need a win over Texas or a like opponent in order for this program to sell out a home game and expand the fan base.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

People on here believe we will sell out SMU. We won't. There will be maybe 24k in attendance Sept, 6.

Unless we beat Texas.

Not play them close for 3 or even through the 4th only to lose, but Beat them.

A significant win is something this program has never experienced. Ever. Tennessee was nice, but it was in the Stone Age of college football. Heart of Dallas bowl? Only people who cared or noticed were involved UNT alumni.

We need a win over Texas or a like opponent in order for this program to sell out a home game and expand the fan base.

The only way that SMU game isn't close to a sellout is if we get pounded at Texas. We will see a big crowd since its our home opener against a school we hate.

A signature win is beating one of the big name programs in your state (Texas or A&M, or beating a ranked team in your state, i.e., a ranked Tech, Baylor, TCU, UH, etc..) or a huge power in college football. It will take a win like that to truly get people in the Metroplex on board. Schools like ours that have seen the benefits of beating huge names over the years include Boise State, Fresno State, NIU, UCF, and TCU back in their MWC days. When you beat a huge name team, its galvanizing to the fanbase. HEck, playing Georgia close for three quarters got us more publicity with our fanbase than beating Ball State, who was damn good last year.

I think this about our opener in Austin. Texas has neve been more primed for an upset by a bought opponent than they are this year. Their QB situation is just awful. A new coach will have to work out the kinks with his team against a team that is much better than New Mexico State or some FCS scrub. It wouldn't surprise me if we, at a bare minimum, give them a game. I know that the talent in AUstin is off-the-charts compared to us, but that prima donna mentality that Strong has to turn around is gonna take some time. Could they crush us? Of course--they are at home, they have their refs, and they have way more talent. But I watched Mike Sherman's first Aggie team get run into the ground by Arky State in his opener. I watched Turner Gill take a decent KU program that Mangino left him open up at home against NDSU (before they got to be a FCS power), only to lose without scoring a TD. Its not at all impossible for us to compete with them at a better level than we have EVER competed against an AQ power team in a bodybag game. Obviously, we have to catch a lot of breaks and score some points, but our offense, predicated on controlling the clock, could be the perfect plan against a team like Texas if we were to get a lead.

It won't shock me if we walk out of their with a win...anyone who has read my posts over the years knows that I am no homer when it comes to predicting UNT wins or success. I just believe that Coach Mac will have our guys ready. He knows what an opportunity this is and I expect us to be ready to get after them.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 4

I think people are underestimating how much our fans love to hate SMU. It's the other side of the tracks type of game. Will we sell out Apogee? I hope so-- but the key on that will be the student turnout. I anticipate that SMU will bring similar to UofH... a good effort at Texas sure won't hurt.

The only way that SMU game isn't close to a sellout is if we get pounded at Texas. We will see a big crowd since its our home opener against a school we hate.

A signature win is beating one of the big name programs in your state (Texas or A&M, or beating a ranked team in your state, i.e., a ranked Tech, Baylor, TCU, UH, etc..) or a huge power in college football. It will take a win like that to truly get people in the Metroplex on board. Schools like ours that have seen the benefits of beating huge names over the years include Boise State, Fresno State, NIU, UCF, and TCU back in their MWC days. When you beat a huge name team, its galvanizing to the fanbase. HEck, playing Georgia close for three quarters got us more publicity with our fanbase than beating Ball State, who was damn good last year.

I think this about our opener in Austin. Texas has neve been more primed for an upset by a bought opponent than they are this year. Their QB situation is just awful. A new coach will have to work out the kinks with his team against a team that is much better than New Mexico State or some FCS scrub. It wouldn't surprise me if we, at a bare minimum, give them a game. I know that the talent in AUstin is off-the-charts compared to us, but that prima donna mentality that Strong has to turn around is gonna take some time. Could they crush us? Of course--they are at home, they have their refs, and they have way more talent. But I watched Mike Sherman's first Aggie team get run into the ground by Arky State in his opener. I watched Turner Gill take a decent KU program that Mangino left him open up at home against NDSU (before they got to be a FCS power), only to lose without scoring a TD. Its not at all impossible for us to compete with them at a better level than we have EVER competed against an AQ power team in a bodybag game. Obviously, we have to catch a lot of breaks and score some points, but our offense, predicated on controlling the clock, could be the perfect plan against a team like Texas if we were to get a lead.

It won't shock me if we walk out of their with a win...anyone who has read my posts over the years knows that I am no homer when it comes to predicting UNT wins or success. I just believe that Coach Mac will have our guys ready. He knows what an opportunity this is and I expect us to be ready to get after them.

Big crowd, sure. Sellout? Not close. The benchmark has been set with the Houston game. If we don't beat Texas, the SMU game won't top the Houston attendance.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Just moved to Boise a couple weeks ago. This place is littered with blue and orange.

I was surprised to see that even with all the success, their stadium is just a few thousand more than us. In fact, facilities-wise, we are on par with everything they have. Academically, the BSU isn't on par with other programs in the state. But, they have put a lot of attention and backing into their programs and it shows. It doesn't hurt that Boise is a beautiful place to live. People are die-hard here and most will tell you it wasn't this way that long ago.

So, I ask myself, 'why not us?'

I agree, we haven't had a signature-win. Unless, you consider a Cincinatti bowl win or a UNLV bowl win as signature... of which I don't. We need a top 25 win like Troy did years ago. Or, an almost as big knocking down of Texas.

• Upvote 3

Beating Texas would be great. I'm just looking for consistency this year now coming off a good year. Can we play consistent football. I would love to watch North Texas knock off UT, but I would be happy if we could stay highly competitive with then then go home and crush SMU the next week. Then to go back on the road a few weeks later and beat Indiana. I would take a UT loss if it could secure W's versus SMU and Indiana. Probably wouldn't vice versa that scenario either. I need consistency. Not a fluky win, but consistent building block football. This is jmo.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

You have to crawl before you walk, walk before you run, etc.

Before Mac got here, UNT might have been able to crawl under a door without hitting its head.

We are now vertical and walking.

A signature win would be fantastic, but winning records and bowl trips are what matter the most for us now. (think about recruiting)

Keep winning and going to bowls and the signature wins will happen.

• Upvote 1

I'd be ecstatic if we brought a 2013 NT vs. Georgia type performance where we were tied well into the 3rd quarter. Still a bit in shock over that.

Problem is that UT will not do ANYTHING risky. They will play to their biggest advantages 100% and that will be in size of the lines and depth. They will most likely play very conservatively and just run it for an average 5 yards a carry to dominate time of possession. They will throw it every once in a while to tight ends to keep us guessing if they feel like it. The won't need to nor will they care to win by 50. They just treat these like practices and they aren't like a Miami (FL) that will just throw it for 50 yards at a time and try to beat you by 100 points.

This is like the hunger games. We live in the districts. They (UT) politely clap hands and condescendingly chuckle at the next "competitor from one of the districts (non-BCS league)" .

May the odds be ever in our favor.

This is like the hunger games. We live in the districts. They (UT) politely clap hands and condescendingly chuckle at the next "competitor from one of the districts (non-BCS league)" .

Great analogy! :goodjob:

I would agree with you if this was last year's team playing this year's horns. It isn't. We have huge questions of our own, including at QB (UT is much better than us at this position).

I'll be happy with a close game considering we are replacing 6 of our front 7 on defense.

• Upvote 2

I would agree with you if this was last year's team playing this year's horns. It isn't. We have huge questions of our own, including at QB (UT is much better than us at this position).

I'll be happy with a close game considering we are replacing 6 of our front 7 on defense.

This

As small as our dline is going to be, and with as many new faces as it will have, I still think that we will be able to slow down their run game. But we're going to have to stack the box to do it...so we're going to need Trice's replacement to play one heck of a first game. Tall order.

Also, if this game is close in the 4th quarter, our dline is going to be worn out. We need to be protecting a lead, and forcing whichever shaky QB they throw out there to come from behind.

Which leads to the biggest problem we'll have in pulling the upset....we're going to have to score points and build a lead on what will be a very tough, and disciplined defense. This is not going to be the UT defense of last year. They won't be world beaters, yet....but they will be much improved. We're going to trot out McNulty to try to do that. <dramatic pause> With no Brelan or proven game breaker to force that defense into mistakes. Again, tall order.

I know everyone wants this to not be a rebuilding year, but all signs point to that being the case. I think we take down a big name opponent in the next couple of years if this train stays on the tracks, though. Think Iowa.

• Upvote 1

We had 22,000 for Idaho. If they brought 25 fans, I'd be shocked. Also remember the last time this happened (2006), we were pounded by UT-Austin the week prior to having over 25k at Fouts for the SMU game. That was coming off a 2-9 season the prior year.

Given the excitement coming off of last season, and that SMU will travel a decent number, a sellout is likely.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 3

Similar "signature win"...

TCU 17, Oklahoma 10, 2005: This win, more than any other, put TCU football back on the map. The Sooners had not lost a home game since 2001 and had never lost in September under Bob Stoops going into this game. The Horned Frogs dominated defensively, holding Adrian Peterson to just 63 yards on 22 carries.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/top-25-college-football-upsets-bcs-era-160500150--ncaaf.html

Could August 30th be our turn?

Similarities:

The 2005 Sooners were replacing a Heisman Trophy winning QB (Jason White)...

The 2014 Horns are replacing a National Championship winning HC (Mack Brown)

The 2005 Horned Frogs were commonly projected to finish middle of the pack in the MWC...

The 2014 Mean Green are seen as an improving squad with too much turnover to compete for the CUSA title

Key Difference:

The 2005 Horned Frogs followed up their victory with a loss at SMU the following week...

The 2014 Mean Green will thrash SMU at Apogee 9/6/14

Timing is everything. My fear is that if we pull off a win, history will remember it as a fluke due to a cold start for newly named Texas head coach. They will see it as a poor performance by Texas rather than a good performance by North Texas.

I hope I'm wrong.

My goals for the season..... if we only get 3 out of 6 I still wouldn't consider it a bad year.

1. Poop on Charlie Strong's short horns and all the Tshirt nation (Win or embarrassingly close)

2. A beating of SMwho a la 2006

3. Hit 7

4. Win the west

5. Win CUSA

6. Win a bowl game

These are my hopes and dreams. My nightmare is that we might not achieve any.

Edited by DirtySavage
  • Upvote 1

My goals for the season..... if we only get 3 out of 6 I still wouldn't consider it a bad year.

1. Poop on Charlie Strong's short horns and all the Tshirt nation (Win or embarrassingly close)

3. Hit 7

4. Win the west

5. Win CUSA

6. Win a bowl game

#3 is the most likely. However, It will be hard to hit 7 if we fail on #2. The rest would be gravy.

• Upvote 1

Your "predictions". Specifically the one about attendance.

Someone more mathematical than me can explain that every coin flip is a 50/50 proposition, even if the previous 10 flips have all come up heads.

A sellout for the SMU game isn't a coin flip proposition. Gonna need a UT win.

3. Hit 7

4. Win the west

5. Win CUSA

6. Win a bowl game

Given the turnover, I think it safe and more reasonable to just aim to hit 6.