Book and DVD from Bowl-Winning Season

:thumbsu:

Book And DVD Chronicling Bowl Champs Go On Sale Saturday

North Texas Athletics To Unveil Champions: The Legacy of the 2013-14 Mean Green

April 9, 2014

To celebrate the bowl-champion 2013-14 Mean Green football team, the North Texas Athletics Department will unveil on Saturday a commemorative book chronicling the entire season, from off-season preparation to the Heart of Dallas Bowl celebration, as well as a special DVD with highlights from the season.

Champions: The Legacy of the 2013-14 Mean Green is a full-color book about the team's journey from off-season preparations to the 36-14 triumph over UNLV at the Heart of Dallas Bowl. The book is loaded with photos and has in-depth looks at the players who made the successful campaign possible.

The accompanying DVD is a compilation of highlights from the season and was created by the same team that produced Beyond The Green, the television series that followed North Texas football throughout the season.

The book and DVD will be go on sale Saturday, April 12, during the Hall of Fame luncheon and the Green-White spring football game, in the Mean Green store in Apogee Stadium next to Gate 2 on the west side of the stadium.

On Saturday at Apogee, the book and DVD will be sold as a package for $55. The book will be available online at meangreen.picaboo.com.

• Upvote 3

Not focused toward nor ment for students nor casual fans. It is focused toward the players, their families and hard core Mean Green Football fans. $55 is pretty reasonable for DVD and Book.

Several years agoTexas A&M's 12th man Kick Off Team Foundation sold a limited edition leather bound book about the origins of the all walk on 12th Man Kick off Team under Jackie Sherrill in the 80's. Sold out at $145 a pop and this was 30 years after the fact.

My favorite saying, "Why Not NORTH TEXAS?"

• Upvote 7

My answer: Because too many of us are cheap.

That better change, and soon, unless we want to end up in whatever the new FCS/1AA classification is called.

I still think this is the wrong audience for this soapbox though. Most people on this forum are giving much more than most UNT Alumni. The demand won't be high because many of US (here on GMG.com) are cheap, but because outside of us, there aren't many people who are interested in this kind of keepsake.

It's the product of years & years of apathy for the school we attended. Folks on GMG.com are the exception, not the majority.

Pride in our school is only just now turning the corner. We can only hope it continues and the students who are on campus now and in the future bleed green forever.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I still think this is the wrong audience for this soapbox though.

Several people complained about the price here. Tons of people have complained about the price of everything on this board. We may be better than the general population, but if the diehards are having trouble paying $55 then the program is in trouble, period.

BTW, my understanding is the HoD helmets did not sell out. I was told that so few sold that the department decided to remove the wrap and re use them.

I think we both know that if aTm had sold their bowl helmets, they would have sold out almost instantly. The problem is that is Arkansas State or the Ragin Cajuns had decided to sell helmets I bet they would have sold out, just more slowly.

Several people complained about the price here. Tons of people have complained about the price of everything on this board. We may be better than the general population, but if the diehards are having trouble paying $55 then the program is in trouble, period.

BTW, my understanding is the HoD helmets did not sell out. I was told that so few sold that the department decided to remove the wrap and re use them.

I think we both know that if aTm had sold their bowl helmets, they would have sold out almost instantly. The problem is that is Arkansas State or the Ragin Cajuns had decided to sell helmets I bet they would have sold out, just more slowly.

Not sure about Green Rokemi, but I'm pretty sure MeanGreener and Ben Gooding are students. Those are the only 3 I saw that complained about the price. I would expect students to complain about the price. When I was a student, I complained about anything costing over $5.

Not sure about Green Rokemi, but I'm pretty sure MeanGreener and Ben Gooding are students. Those are the only 3 I saw that complained about the price. I would expect students to complain about the price. When I was a student, I complained about anything costing over $5.

This isn't the only thread that people have ever complained about the price of something.

What ArkSt is doing: Arkansas State uses eBay to auction off a chance to coach spring game

This isn't the only thread that people have ever complained about the price of something.

What ArkSt is doing: Arkansas State uses eBay to auction off a chance to coach spring game

For sure. As cool as it would be to have a HOD helmet, that's just something I cannot afford to buy.

But, this is more affordable and will be mine.

I'm not a student. No one answered my question though. Has anyone actually seen them yet? Are they like the bowl run dvds? Is the book one if those huge coffee table books? I'm just wanting to find out.

On a side note, when I was a student I couldn't afford that price

I will get pounded for this, maybe deserve it; but there were 35 bowl champions last year and NT got their victory over one of the worst teams to get an invite. It was a great turnaround for NT, but hardly a big accomplishment in the college sports world. Going 9-4 was great in context of where NT has been the last decade. However, I hope it is remembered as the start of a new football era at NT and not the great year that is being ballyhooed by the AD. NT tied for second in the Western division of a bad CUSA football year. I would save the special books for at least a division championship year if not more.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

I will get pounded for this, maybe deserve it; but there were 35 bowl champions last year and NT got their victory over one of the worst teams to get an invite. It was a great turnaround for NT, but hardly a big accomplishment in the college sports world. Going 9-4 was great in context of where NT has been the last decade. However, I hope it is remembered as the start of a new football era at NT and not the great year that is being ballyhooed by the AD. NT tied for second in the Western division of a bad CUSA football year. I would save the special books for at least a division championship year if not more.

I understand what you are saying, but why would we not try to capitalize on what was accomplished last year in favor of holding off on the chance that we may do something better in the future? That just doesn't make sense.

• Upvote 1

I understand what you are saying, but why would we not try to capitalize on what was accomplished last year in favor of holding off on the chance that we may do something better in the future? That just doesn't make sense.

The question is: Do you want to be playing the SFA Lumberjacks for the SLC title in a decade? No? Then support the program. If you don't have the money, then no problem. I wish the stadium was called Cerebus Stadium*, but I didn't have the money for that.

The problem is we have very few alums who consider the program to be a TOP PRIORITY for their disposable income. Much less than UT and aTm for sure, but once you start having less than ASU or WKU then you have to consider the future to be in jeopardy.

Like I warned everyone before the stadium was built, it's a huge step, but it's not a cure all. We still need to cultivate more people to give to athletics. I do realize this board is full of people who already give a ton, if that's you, I'm not talking to you.

*Actually if I had won the lottery I would have doubled Apogee's bid and called it Cerebus Field at DICKEY WAS RIGHT Stadium just for the trolling.

And yes, the caps lock punctuation would be officially required.

• Upvote 1

I'd be okay with a book and DVD chronicling EVERY year. Admittedly, I may not buy the book and DVD of years I'd rather forget, but I really don't see a book and DVD as being all that necessarily celebratory.

• Upvote 2

Seriously? I didn't necessarily expect them to sellout, but it's surprising that that few were sold. Granted, I didn't buy one (though if I had, I wouldn't have anywhere to display it in my apartment, and it'd be sitting in my closet) either, so it's not like I am complaining.

Edited by CMJ