'17 JUCO ATH DeAndre McNeal (Fullerton College) [LOI: FAU]

3 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

I dont think so. I clicked on the hashtag and it was showing a Greek soccer team.....Maybe he's a huge FIFA fan?

Euroleague (thanks google).

I got curious then gave up after 30 seconds. No idea. Maybe some proclamation of his.

Hopefully he lets us know when he signs here so we can put this mystery to bed ;-)

• Upvote 1

I'm thinking the AEK deal could be 3 things:

1. An acronym like Always Eating Kickers (replace kickers with any K word)

2. Alpha Sigma Kappa?

3. AEK the soccer team, he didn't start using the hashtag until he left UT. The team was founded by refugees so maybe he feels like a refugee after leaving Austin. We are his destination to be successful back in his home state.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

Nothing but opinion, but I think this ship has sailed. I would love to be wrong here, but if he's named his destinations for OVs and we're not on that list, it's unlikely.

I agree but I believe he is going to a JUCO in the area, so maybe thats the reason for no OV? 

2 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Cali and Florida are great vacation spots. But sometimes it just nicer to be at home!! One to watch coming down to NSD

If he is staying in TX and going to a JUCO, maybe thats why he took OV to UCLA and FAU... free flight and everything??? hmmm

• Upvote 4

On 1/22/2017 at 3:31 PM, TheReal_jayD said:

Cali and Florida are great vacation spots. But sometimes it just nicer to be at home!! One to watch coming down to NSD

Unfortunately, landing McNeal seems further out of reach than expected. McNeal said he originally wanted to go to school in Cali and commit to UCLA out of HS, but his mom influenced him to stay in state and go to UT. In his post-OV interview he talked about his aspirations of going to league (potentially after this season) and UCLA's lack of depth at wideout. This guy is a P5 talent, no doubt, but still I'm holding out hope that we can pull it off. Let's hope mom is in his ear again this time and he comes back home!

http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1748365-mcneal-talks-about-ucla-official 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I'm curious if he even has the grades to transfer.  Reminding me of a few JUCO's we have been excited about recently that never showed up on any campus.

This is an interesting aspect of his recruitment, when you factor in that he was a qualifier out of high school. Given that information, the fact that he wasn't a mid-term guy leads me to believe grades were an issue at least at some point, if not still.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

This is an interesting aspect of his recruitment, when you factor in that he was a qualifier out of high school. Given that information, the fact that he wasn't a mid-term guy leads me to believe grades were an issue at least at some point, if not still.

There was some really poor timing for DeAndre with the dismissal from the team at Texas (didn't that occur in August?), which may have impacted transcripts and transferrable credit hours. He is taking classes currently at a local Juco near home.

15 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

There was some really poor timing for DeAndre with the dismissal from the team at Texas (didn't that occur in August?), which may have impacted transcripts and transferrable credit hours. He is taking classes currently at a local Juco near home.

He was gone before the semester started.

14 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

He was gone before the semester started.

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2016/8/30/12717822/deandre-mcneal-texas-longhorns-transfer-fullerton-cc

Gone at the beginning of fall camp. The timing was obviously poor for the kid, as teams were already in fall camp. The question would be, did this impact transcripts in any way, and is that why he is taking classes locally? I'm not sure how we would know...

2 hours ago, UNT Mean Green said:

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2016/8/30/12717822/deandre-mcneal-texas-longhorns-transfer-fullerton-cc

Gone at the beginning of fall camp. The timing was obviously poor for the kid, as teams were already in fall camp. The question would be, did this impact transcripts in any way, and is that why he is taking classes locally? I'm not sure how we would know...

Fall camp starts before the semester. He was gone by August 15th and classes started August 24th. I don't see how that wouldn't impact any transcripts.