Texas El Paso (3/2/14)

CMJ

I don't follow. People bash Benford for his players failing to box out.... Then they bash him for telling his players to box out... That makes zero sense (referring to NT90s post above).

Uh... Because telling 20 year old guys to box out on a rebound is condescending? Do you really think they don't know what they are supposed to do on a missed free throw?

Just Benford pretending he knows what he is doing. Saw WAY to much of it last year ("go up strong" was one of the gems I specifically remember from 2012/13. It's what guys yell at a rec league game...).

Edited by UNT90

A month ago people jumped all over Bemford because "obviously he does not tell his players to box out" when we gave up a few rebounds, what is the man suppose to do? Apparently no one can be happy...

You act as if other coaches do not say this which shows you know very little about the college game. Perhaps the game in general. Sure Benford is not cutting it but saying these things during games is no different then any other coach. Middle Tennese's coach talked the entire game yelling shooter, box out, and ripping a guy for picking up a foul. He ripped him bad too. The students started yelling his name and flailing their arms like he did. Did you not pay attention to UTEPS coach walking the sideline screen shooter or double double etc.. I'm guessing not because it's clear it's one giant which hunt for Benfords job and nothing more. This is the reason I will be on the other side. Just because JJ would squat at the end of the bench does not mean every coach has to.

We also have zero clue as to what a Benford practice looks like. I have heard it ins similar just more rigorous then a JJ practice. So somewhere in all of this something has gone sour. It's a mixture of things and coaching is one of them. But stop putting it all on ones mans shoulders.

Edited by Andrew

I don't think anyone in the league will have much luck against UTEP big men for the next 3 years.

Yeah, they're solid. But Wilms is only averaging 5 points, 3 rebounds, and 0.7 blocks a game. Don't get me wrong, he is a stud. But it's not like he's been averaging 14, 8, and 3 blocks a game like he got today.

Weren't we recruiting him.

Yes

Unfortunately , we struck out on the first 15 or so offers that went out to PG's.. Sadly, most elected to go to mid majors and even conference foes. I still think we land a PG in the 2014 class.. I'm still scratching my head over the Harris signing

• Upvote 1

Yes

Unfortunately , we struck out on the first 15 or so offers that went out to PG's.. Sadly, most elected to go to mid majors and even conference foes. I still think we land a PG in the 2014 class.. I'm still scratching my head over the Harris signing

Is Harris not very good? Or is he not a true PG? I know nothing about him.

• Upvote 1

Is Harris not very good? Or is he not a true PG? I know nothing about him.

He's a 2 and seems to be a lesser version of Ward. I like ward , I think he has potential to be good, but it's concerning that neither of these 2 guys had any other DI offers

• Upvote 1

He's a 2 and seems to be a lesser version of Ward. I like ward , I think he has potential to be good, but it's concerning that neither of these 2 guys had any other DI offers

I guess we take what we can get. We will land a PG but I have no idea who... Or if this player will be any good. Maybe we can get lucky and snag a Vaughn's type. Transfer senior. Who knows. We need a PG next season and a Bigs the next.

I guess we take what we can get. We will land a PG but I have no idea who... Or if this player will be any good. Maybe we can get lucky and snag a Vaughn's type. Transfer senior. Who knows. We need a PG next season and a Bigs the next.

I don't think a transfer senior would be such a good idea. Then we'd have 8 seniors on next year's roster.

I don't think a transfer senior would be such a good idea. Then we'd have 8 seniors on next year's roster.

I'm just wandering what we will get. We need a PG and preferably a young one. I'm nervous it will be another JUCO player. I am not one for knowledge of recruits though. It does not seem that there is much left but that is a question for someone like Cooley I suppose.

I'm just wandering what we will get. We need a PG and preferably a young one. I'm nervous it will be another JUCO player. I am not one for knowledge of recruits though. It does not seem that there is much left but that is a question for someone like Cooley I suppose.

Cooley, or ask NT03. We just offered a JUCO pg from Tennessee named Dequon Miller. I think he holds an offer from Ole Miss as well, and he has pretty good stats. I don't think he's playing great competition, but his stats are impressive nonetheless. He is only 5'10" though.

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2013-14/div1/players/dequonmiller8i7l

Cooley, or ask NT03. We just offered a JUCO pg from Tennessee named Dequon Miller. I think he holds an offer from Ole Miss as well, and he has pretty good stats. I don't think he's playing great competition, but his stats are impressive nonetheless. He is only 5'10" though.

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2013-14/div1/players/dequonmiller8i7l

He's not showing much interest , best bet is probably Jovan Austin from Paris JC

Cooley, or ask NT03. We just offered a JUCO pg from Tennessee named Dequon Miller. I think he holds an offer from Ole Miss as well, and he has pretty good stats. I don't think he's playing great competition, but his stats are impressive nonetheless. He is only 5'10" though.http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2013-14/div1/players/dequonmiller8i7l

I assumed we would be going after someone like this. Wish he was younger but at this point we need to get who we can and focus on replacing a lot of players in a year.

I though Hank made a pretty telling statement before the game, basically that our lack of production from the big men has been the issue for us throughout this season. So while I. know we also need a point guard, isn't a more pressing need to get a big defender and rebounder?

So last season we didn't have enough guys that could shoot; now we added shooters but we have nothing in the paint, no rebounding etc...

I am starting to question the personnel gameplan and results. What is the game plan for recruiting? Next year you add Combs, Wesley and Ward...that isn't going to address the lack of big men (rebounding) and point guard that has plagued this team this year.