Who will be the UNT starting QB against UT? (POLL)

Harry

I think it's really a 3-horse race.

I chose Dajon. Partly based on hope. Partly based on where he was on the depth chart at the beginning of last season before his catastrophic injury.

McNulty could win, purely based on experience. We know he can run, and handoff like a champ, but do we know if he can even throw the ball?

Greer could win, but we don't really know much about him. Consider him the dark horse.

Means & Shanbour... redshirt & walkon also-ran.

• Upvote 2

I would like to think it would DW, but let's be honest MC is working hard and may be the best option right now. MC seems smart and is athletic. Wish I could have seen him throw the ball more the last season, but I would like to assume he would not have been the number 1 back up if he could throw at all. We shall see. Either way it will be an exciting spring game, that surely UNT can win. What is the date of the game again?

PS Greer is a wild card. I would think he would not be able to be more prepared then MC before the season starts. Once again, we shall see.

I voted DW before spring workouts, but count me as one who is reading too much into the workout grades. Even if he were having an average offseason, I would have him as the favorite, but he is below average. He has had a few good days, but has looked very inconsistient.

Inconsistency is not a good trait to have with this coaching staff. Some think that the athleticism will win out once they get on the field. I was hype with DW comments a few weeks ago about being better, but it also seems to be making him lax in the offseason. This is not grade school football, where the best athlete can show up at the last minute and win the job. DW has nice skills, but I do not see freakish ability that will outweigh not working hard and where it is clear separation.

The training staff is hard on these guys by reading some of the comments. I think the harshness Carries over to spring. DW got the young kid with potential treatment early this season. The coaches are going to also expect more this go around. How will DW respond? How many times has a kid been able to flip a switch to hard working mode?

As of right now, I have Greer as my choice. Can the coaching staff blow two juco recruits back to back?

I think this years comp will be more impressive than last years.

• Upvote 2

Ok Harry Ok

If the game were today Mini-Mac. And while not his job to lose in a way it kind of is. There isn't anyone on the team that has had as much time in this offense as Mini-Mac and from what I understand he knows it very, very, well.

Barring injury, all of the other QB's are going to need a solid spring and better know their play books inside and out.

I think when fall camp rolls around it will be a 3-horse race with Mini-Mac, DW and Greer jockeying for position. DW may be the most physically gifted but if he half-asses the play book etc and hopes to rely on his talents he won't get the nod. This staff is a "first, do no harm" group and they'll go with the guy most capable of fulfilling that promise.

Let me close by saying that Greer intrigues me due to his experience, albeit limited, at a level greater than high school. If he's a quick study...

• Upvote 1

Tough choice. McNulty has been paying his dues and working his ass off in the weight room. Some maturity issues with Dajon, but otherwise he has the most raw talent. My bet is still on Greer, seems to be doing relatively well in the weight room and he just seems like he will plug into the system relatively easily with him being so similar to Thompson. I am no expert though, so it will probably be Shanbour.

Mini Mac today. Certainly knows the offense, and a QB with the skills to run the show.

Greer a strong second, real close! A 6-5 QB who can see the field, and has a cannon arm.

Just like last year, the starting QB was not determined until the last two weeks of two - a - days.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

DW or McNulty will be the starter. I hope it's DW. I also hope if it is DW or McNulty coach will do more roll outs on pass plays. Run high/low routes and give the mobile QB the option to take off with it. Our O last year was a little handcuffed last year and more times than not we ran on run downs and passed on passing downs. With a good run game and rolling him out off PA will be nice to have. With either one of these guys it gives us options and that's why I truly think the offense will be collectively better this up coming season. GMG

• Upvote 1

I wonder if the speculation - not just from us, but also from other teams - is exactly what the coaches want. Obviously even they might change their minds or not even have somebody pegged as a favorite yet, but they may want everybody to be seen as "not ready". They could be f--king with everybody. "Andy's a hard worker and a good leader, but not that talented." "Dajon has so much but isn't a loud leader or motivator." "Josh has the necessary tools but hasn't even practiced at the D-1 level yet." Even if they don't have a preference, it's good to have everyone on the outside underestimating EVERY ONE of the possible QBs.

If Mac has a better arm than expected, or Dajon is just being challenged to be even better, or Josh is more ready for moving up a level than anyone thinks, is it a good idea to broadcast any of that?

Making fans and alumni publicly nervous helps to make everyone else assume you don't have your $#!+ together when you really do. Just like last year, the worries about QB and Dline and everything else that scores a huge panic button are probably intentional. Anybody who doesn't trust this coaching staff, at a college with so many ups and downs though all of the years of untapped potential, who can resurrect the dead and just led us to one of the greatest seasons in our history...might be on crack. Except 90, because even when he's wrong, apparently somehow he's still right. Even if it's only for 2 minutes. But it still counts, every time.

I voted Dajon just based on last year's preseason, but I must admit I like Mac a lot, regardless of whether he's starter material. To work hard, stay consistent, and help motivate everyone, even those who probably have a lot more in the natural talent area than you, takes a big man. A couple of flashes, like his brief time in the UGA game, tell me he could probably start at an FCS school (or D2) already, but he's loyal and has instilled himself as a part of the team, the University, and the mindset we like to have. It sounds like he wants to be both a great man and a great football player. Even if he never becomes the latter, it appears that he already has the tools available to be the former. I know this doesn't have a speck of influence on what happens at Texas, but it's well deserved. Not every great person ends up in the spotlight, but they do deserve to be recognized for their qualities.

• Upvote 1